Weary of Black Friday, some plan to shop local on Saturday
November 25th, 2011

Weary of Black Friday, some plan to shop local on Saturday

Black Friday's not for everyone.  As crowds accumulate and shoppers get rowdy at retail stores nationwide, more and more Americans are declaring they're over the biggest shopping day of the year.

With pepper sprayings, a tasing and other Black Friday-related violence across the country, outrage is surfacing under the Twitter hashtag #F--BlackFriday. Amid critiques of consumerism run amok, some are calling on the American public to patronize local businesses instead.

"Hmm. Pepper spray? Gunshots? Parking lot robberies after midnight? hahaha #F--BlackFriday You suckers can have it," RoxinalRanger tweeted Friday, summing up the thoughts of many.

The loudest groans appear to be coming from store employees, many of whom have been on their feet for hours with no end in sight.

"It's only been 9 hours? F– me. Here till 5 PM! Who starts work at midnight and gets off at 5pm," one worker tweeted Friday, summing up the thoughts of many.

"I've never hated people or my job more than I do right now. I really hate everyone in this store. I really truly do," another tweeted.

"I already wanna strangle customers," another said.

For their part, shoppers also appeared to growing weary of the long lines and growing hostility.

"It has gotten to the point were I actually hate shopping.. #f-blackfriday #neveragain," @GabrielMaguina tweeted.

Others expressed frustration that they could not go shopping for ordinary items without braving crowds.

"Is there any store in the world I could go to and not need to wait 3 hours to buy a razor and eyeliner," Eye-V tweeted.

Others simply had other priorities: "I like sleep more than low low prices," @BenKuzmicz said.

Many CNN.com commenters vowed earlier this week to avoid Black Friday by shopping earlier, with some arguing that its popularity is emblematic of what’s wrong in the United States.

“Bargain hunting and using credit cards to pay for majority of purchases; US consumers (are) overburdened with debt and cannot stop just like the US government," larryking11 said, in one of the comments featured in Thursday's Overheard on CNN.com post.

"I am boycotting Black Friday and spending time with my friends and family instead of shopping. And to those retailers opening up on Thanksgiving night ... I will not be shopping at your stores at all this holiday. You are nothing more that a bunch of greedy grinches," Blackrhino said.

Some who associate Black Friday with overwhelming crowds and capitalism at its ugliest are saving their pennies and energy for Saturday.

Now in its second year, the American Express-sponsored "Small Business Saturday" is billed as "the day we celebrate the Shop Small movement to drive shoppers to local merchants across the U.S."

On the event's Facebook page, which has more than 2.5 million fans, users are sharing shopping plans and businesses are throwing out sale pitches.

"Love shopping small mom and pop shops – always get the best stuff and unusual stuff," one shopper said.

Another user, presumably a retail employee, pledged "to give everyone the kind of service they don't get online or in the 'big box' stores. Service is what makes small business better."

However, other commenters on the Facebook page expressed skepticism over American Express' involvement.

"I love that this is presented by American Express....because that doesn't scream hypocrisy...." one user said.

"Question: Is American Express reducing its transaction fees for small businesses this weekend (or forever?)? Most of my local retailers can't afford to take AmEx!" another said.

American Express is using the event to encourage shoppers to use their AmEx cards. Cardholders who register an eligible American Express Card and use it for a purchase of $25 or more at a small business on November 26 will receive a one-time $25 statement credit, according to the Facebook page.

The push to patronize local business comes amid wider backlash against Black Friday. Earlier this week, organizers of the Occupy Wall Street movement urged protesters to occupy major retailers on Friday. So far, there have been no reports of major protests.

At least one small business urged shoppers not to buy from them on Friday. TheOldTry, a Boston-based print shop specializing in homages to the South, urged shoppers to reconsider the reason for the season.

"I'd prefer you not buy anything from us nor anyone else tomorrow and you spend time with friends and family. #tistheseason # honesty," the store tweeted.

Post by:
Filed under: Business • Economy • Holidays
  1. Hadenufyet

The absolute most precious gift you can give is your time. Offer that instead.

November 25, 2011 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • GoRemoteKCl

No thanks.....I want a remote controlled helicopter.

November 25, 2011 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hadenufyet

Lump of coal for you!!! lol

November 25, 2011 at 6:53 pm | Report abuse |
  2. kosh

To the devil with Black Friday. I do my Christmas shopping online and get my deals on Cyber Monday. My wifes cousin sent her a video she took at our local, small town, southern Ohio Walmart this morning and it was absolute chaos. I have boycotted Black Friday sales for years and will be till I no longer walk this Earth.

November 25, 2011 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Pcat

I see all the 45" tvs being sold in the pictures and I can't help but wonder if these are gifts or....?

November 25, 2011 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
  4. njreader

Just back from Rockaway (N.J.) Mall, where I stopped in at Bed/Bath, Walmart, and Target. No more crowded than an ordinary shopping day. What surprised me is that I didn't see any bargains or sales at all-just "regular low price." Also, I looked at coffee makers. Mine hasn't long to go, so I looked in all three stores. I read the boxes for Sunbeam, Hamilton Beach, Mr. Coffee, Black and Decker-every single one made in China. I did not check for Cuisinart or Krupp. The one I have that has lasted so many years is Krupp, but the un-fanciest model I saw was $50 (!!!) with the coupon to mail in for $10 rebate. I passed on it, came home, and gave my aging Krupp a nice pat on the basket top!

November 25, 2011 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pcat

word...although Walmart has cheap coffee makers for about $10.

November 25, 2011 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • cat

look into Bunn coffee makers. mine cost $100, but is US made and holds a lifetime warranty

November 25, 2011 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jeff

Or for a fraction of the cost, go for a Melita manual drip coffee maker. It takes no longer to make a pot than an electric machine, and it will never break.

November 25, 2011 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Donna

It's sad isn't ....I wonder how much $ we sent to China just today alone. Why is it that people will run out, embarrass themselves and lose sleep to save a few dollars on an inferior made product? No wonder our economy is in the tank when we don't see the value of a few extra dollars to keep Americans working by buying American products

November 25, 2011 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
  5. GoRemoteKCl

Just got back from Lowes. Even it was packed, as were the surrounding retail stores.

November 25, 2011 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Bill

I love Black Friday and have gotten up early to shop every year except this one. I don't have a problem getting up at 4am to shop at 5am, but sorry retailers, I'm not going to cut my Thanksgiving short so I can go out at midnight and spend 5-6 hours in crazy parking lots and stores. Go back to opening at 4-5am and I'll return. Otherwise, I'll pass. The funny thing is – with more and more e-tailers having pretty good sales starting on Thanksgiving Day, I felt I got more deals in an hour online yesterday than I typically do in 5-6 hours on Black Friday.

November 25, 2011 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Deep North

Chinese Independence Day...."better known as " got those Americans again day" mo money mo money mo money

November 25, 2011 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
  8. No Return

There is nothing that we can do about this. It is a symptom of a much more serious disease. Hopefully it will not get worse, but I doubt it.

November 25, 2011 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Mike

These shoppers epitomize the ridiculousness of our country. We all swarm like bees to the stores one day a year to get the scraps from the corporations that have the wage-noose around the same people buying their items. People are charging stuff they can't afford and are only going deeper into debt. Unfortunately, it's EXPECTED that everyone smother each other with gifts at Christmas. People should be thankful for being alive and not be so materialistic...use Christmas to be a time of reflection of the year and just be happy to be with their families.

November 25, 2011 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dave in Portland

Agreed Mike, but unfortunately, our society has become one of greed. Everyone is so worried that someone else might have something that they don't and we are all force-fed the concept that we are somehow less if we do not keep up with the Jones'.

I personally do not even try. My phone is one step back from a smart phone, my TV is still an old tube TV, etc

The funny thing is that I make good money. I just refuse to buy into all of the BS. I'll get all that stuff later when it's dirt cheap and everyone else has gone two steps ahead, lol.

November 25, 2011 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
  10. LePenis James

Shouldn't the politically correct term "African-American Friday" be used now?

November 25, 2011 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cool dog

Bwaahhaaahahahaha!

November 25, 2011 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Ben

We're specifically avoiding stores today. I don't want the junk they sell on Black Friday- it's all one-off models. The rest of it isn't priced any lower than any other day. Why are we all so stupid in this country?

November 25, 2011 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Charles

Sad that we spend all this money to make the Chinese richer. I wonder what they think of us.

November 25, 2011 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Pcat

Growing up, my parents never spent more than about $20 bucks on me for xmas and $20 bucks for my birthday. I am so thankful to them for this. I have always been the opposite of materialistic because of this I think.

November 25, 2011 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
  14. JRH

Not only did I not shop big box, I didn't shop local, and in fact I didn't shop period. I spent not one dime today, nor do I plan to do so this weekend (nor really, at all, since I don't do Christmas anyway). I spent the day in a much healthier pursuit – hiking in the woods with my dog.

November 25, 2011 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Pcat

The best way to save money on Black Friday is to, well, save your money on Black Friday.

November 25, 2011 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |