Weary of Black Friday, some plan to shop local on Saturday
November 25th, 2011

Weary of Black Friday, some plan to shop local on Saturday

Black Friday's not for everyone.  As crowds accumulate and shoppers get rowdy at retail stores nationwide, more and more Americans are declaring they're over the biggest shopping day of the year.

With pepper sprayings, a tasing and other Black Friday-related violence across the country, outrage is surfacing under the Twitter hashtag #F--BlackFriday. Amid critiques of consumerism run amok, some are calling on the American public to patronize local businesses instead.

"Hmm. Pepper spray? Gunshots? Parking lot robberies after midnight? hahaha #F--BlackFriday You suckers can have it," RoxinalRanger tweeted Friday, summing up the thoughts of many.

The loudest groans appear to be coming from store employees, many of whom have been on their feet for hours with no end in sight.

"It's only been 9 hours? F– me. Here till 5 PM! Who starts work at midnight and gets off at 5pm," one worker tweeted Friday, summing up the thoughts of many.

"I've never hated people or my job more than I do right now. I really hate everyone in this store. I really truly do," another tweeted.

"I already wanna strangle customers," another said.

For their part, shoppers also appeared to growing weary of the long lines and growing hostility.

"It has gotten to the point were I actually hate shopping.. #f-blackfriday #neveragain," @GabrielMaguina tweeted.

Others expressed frustration that they could not go shopping for ordinary items without braving crowds.

"Is there any store in the world I could go to and not need to wait 3 hours to buy a razor and eyeliner," Eye-V tweeted.

Others simply had other priorities: "I like sleep more than low low prices," @BenKuzmicz said.

Many CNN.com commenters vowed earlier this week to avoid Black Friday by shopping earlier, with some arguing that its popularity is emblematic of what’s wrong in the United States.

“Bargain hunting and using credit cards to pay for majority of purchases; US consumers (are) overburdened with debt and cannot stop just like the US government," larryking11 said, in one of the comments featured in Thursday's Overheard on CNN.com post.

"I am boycotting Black Friday and spending time with my friends and family instead of shopping. And to those retailers opening up on Thanksgiving night ... I will not be shopping at your stores at all this holiday. You are nothing more that a bunch of greedy grinches," Blackrhino said.

Some who associate Black Friday with overwhelming crowds and capitalism at its ugliest are saving their pennies and energy for Saturday.

Now in its second year, the American Express-sponsored "Small Business Saturday" is billed as "the day we celebrate the Shop Small movement to drive shoppers to local merchants across the U.S."

On the event's Facebook page, which has more than 2.5 million fans, users are sharing shopping plans and businesses are throwing out sale pitches.

"Love shopping small mom and pop shops – always get the best stuff and unusual stuff," one shopper said.

Another user, presumably a retail employee, pledged "to give everyone the kind of service they don't get online or in the 'big box' stores. Service is what makes small business better."

However, other commenters on the Facebook page expressed skepticism over American Express' involvement.

"I love that this is presented by American Express....because that doesn't scream hypocrisy...." one user said.

"Question: Is American Express reducing its transaction fees for small businesses this weekend (or forever?)? Most of my local retailers can't afford to take AmEx!" another said.

American Express is using the event to encourage shoppers to use their AmEx cards. Cardholders who register an eligible American Express Card and use it for a purchase of $25 or more at a small business on November 26 will receive a one-time $25 statement credit, according to the Facebook page.

The push to patronize local business comes amid wider backlash against Black Friday. Earlier this week, organizers of the Occupy Wall Street movement urged protesters to occupy major retailers on Friday. So far, there have been no reports of major protests.

At least one small business urged shoppers not to buy from them on Friday. TheOldTry, a Boston-based print shop specializing in homages to the South, urged shoppers to reconsider the reason for the season.

"I'd prefer you not buy anything from us nor anyone else tomorrow and you spend time with friends and family. #tistheseason # honesty," the store tweeted.

Post by:
Filed under: Business • Economy • Holidays
  1. beasterdamas

Move to HellA, where things are mellow. LA'n's are too cool to sleep in the cold to buy a 42" Samsung...Get real

November 25, 2011 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Todd

Introverts vs. Extroverts. The Introverts of the world look at this and think madness. The Extroverts see it as a lot of fun.

November 25, 2011 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • FauxNews

I agree, not sure why the reporters are so pessimistic this year.

November 25, 2011 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
  3. chris

putting my money directly in the hands of fellow Americans by buying at arts & craft shows and online craft sites

November 25, 2011 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Brad

Black Friday was a terrible idea. Bring back the blue laws.

November 25, 2011 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
  5. iBod

People are actual morons. There are even better sales a week or two before Christmas...Stupid. Just stupid. SMH.

November 25, 2011 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Dan

Decided we were going to buy American and buy a vacation in the U.S. instead of buying gifts which all too often are made in other countries. We are sick and tired of buying items that break within a year because they are no longer made with quality.

November 25, 2011 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Suzanne

I will continue my tradition of NEVER shopping on Black Friday. I'd rather be stampeded by a herd of elephants... wait – that's the same thing. Except elephants don't use pepper spray.

November 25, 2011 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
  8. ti-grr

Most americans are on the brink of Poverty. Banks and credit cards are ripping us off. Congress is bought and owned by corportations (corporate nazism) and likely taking bribes ( Newt and his FF/Mae 'consutlation fees'). There are many reasons people are out in the streets protesting. Worldwide OWS is only growing.

November 25, 2011 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Lewis

I try to avoid going out on black friday as even the road are a disaster. I will avoid all department stores till after new years.

November 25, 2011 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Matt

Half this article could be explained by ctrl-c and ctrl-v...

November 25, 2011 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
  11. sarah

I am not into the Blackfriday shopping. I worked thanksgiving day even though I could have had it off and I am working today. Trying to pay down credit cards and save money for a rainy day. I am not going to get pull into the trap this year.

November 25, 2011 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
  12. SteveFromBoston

NoReturn,

I don't agree with you at all. Apparently most of the posters on here did do something about it – they didn't shop on Black Friday. If nobody shopped they wouldn't open the stores early. I've never shopped on Black Friday, except maybe for groceries or something similar. I don't go to malls, and I could care less what's on sale. I buy stuff I want when I want to and don't use credit cards either. It's up to all of us, obviously the big stores are like the big banks, only concerned with taking their money out of our pockets.

November 25, 2011 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
  13. dicerotops

Someone had to start at midnight and not get off til 5pm? That's gotta be a typo. I don't see an employer being able to demand a 17 hour workday.

November 25, 2011 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Becky

I would rather pay full-price on something rather than fight and run over people with my shopping cart and car to "get a good deal." Not worth the hassle, lack of sleep, or headache.

November 25, 2011 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Mike B SHOPPING ON LINE

This is America.....Black Friday in other Countries you can stand in line without being shot at. Employees that are mad at Customers??? I seen a few comments about how bad customers are, or they don't like standing on their feet for so long, or they hate it...What store was this at???? Let's be positive fellow Americans....

November 25, 2011 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |