Weary of Black Friday, some plan to shop local on Saturday
November 25th, 2011

Weary of Black Friday, some plan to shop local on Saturday

Black Friday's not for everyone.  As crowds accumulate and shoppers get rowdy at retail stores nationwide, more and more Americans are declaring they're over the biggest shopping day of the year.

With pepper sprayings, a tasing and other Black Friday-related violence across the country, outrage is surfacing under the Twitter hashtag #F--BlackFriday. Amid critiques of consumerism run amok, some are calling on the American public to patronize local businesses instead.

"Hmm. Pepper spray? Gunshots? Parking lot robberies after midnight? hahaha #F--BlackFriday You suckers can have it," RoxinalRanger tweeted Friday, summing up the thoughts of many.

The loudest groans appear to be coming from store employees, many of whom have been on their feet for hours with no end in sight.

"It's only been 9 hours? F– me. Here till 5 PM! Who starts work at midnight and gets off at 5pm," one worker tweeted Friday, summing up the thoughts of many.

"I've never hated people or my job more than I do right now. I really hate everyone in this store. I really truly do," another tweeted.

"I already wanna strangle customers," another said.

For their part, shoppers also appeared to growing weary of the long lines and growing hostility.

"It has gotten to the point were I actually hate shopping.. #f-blackfriday #neveragain," @GabrielMaguina tweeted.

Others expressed frustration that they could not go shopping for ordinary items without braving crowds.

"Is there any store in the world I could go to and not need to wait 3 hours to buy a razor and eyeliner," Eye-V tweeted.

Others simply had other priorities: "I like sleep more than low low prices," @BenKuzmicz said.

Many CNN.com commenters vowed earlier this week to avoid Black Friday by shopping earlier, with some arguing that its popularity is emblematic of what’s wrong in the United States.

“Bargain hunting and using credit cards to pay for majority of purchases; US consumers (are) overburdened with debt and cannot stop just like the US government," larryking11 said, in one of the comments featured in Thursday's Overheard on CNN.com post.

"I am boycotting Black Friday and spending time with my friends and family instead of shopping. And to those retailers opening up on Thanksgiving night ... I will not be shopping at your stores at all this holiday. You are nothing more that a bunch of greedy grinches," Blackrhino said.

Some who associate Black Friday with overwhelming crowds and capitalism at its ugliest are saving their pennies and energy for Saturday.

Now in its second year, the American Express-sponsored "Small Business Saturday" is billed as "the day we celebrate the Shop Small movement to drive shoppers to local merchants across the U.S."

On the event's Facebook page, which has more than 2.5 million fans, users are sharing shopping plans and businesses are throwing out sale pitches.

"Love shopping small mom and pop shops – always get the best stuff and unusual stuff," one shopper said.

Another user, presumably a retail employee, pledged "to give everyone the kind of service they don't get online or in the 'big box' stores. Service is what makes small business better."

However, other commenters on the Facebook page expressed skepticism over American Express' involvement.

"I love that this is presented by American Express....because that doesn't scream hypocrisy...." one user said.

"Question: Is American Express reducing its transaction fees for small businesses this weekend (or forever?)? Most of my local retailers can't afford to take AmEx!" another said.

American Express is using the event to encourage shoppers to use their AmEx cards. Cardholders who register an eligible American Express Card and use it for a purchase of $25 or more at a small business on November 26 will receive a one-time $25 statement credit, according to the Facebook page.

The push to patronize local business comes amid wider backlash against Black Friday. Earlier this week, organizers of the Occupy Wall Street movement urged protesters to occupy major retailers on Friday. So far, there have been no reports of major protests.

At least one small business urged shoppers not to buy from them on Friday. TheOldTry, a Boston-based print shop specializing in homages to the South, urged shoppers to reconsider the reason for the season.

"I'd prefer you not buy anything from us nor anyone else tomorrow and you spend time with friends and family. #tistheseason # honesty," the store tweeted.

Post by:
Filed under: Business • Economy • Holidays
  1. capnmike

All the trash the big stores are peddling, on Black Friday or any other time, is MADE IN CHINA, Mexico, Indonesia, India, Taiwan....!!! Wake up, people! If you want jobs in America, stop buying that crap! All our money and jobs are going over there, and we are left with a load of foreign-made junk that will end up in landfills.

November 25, 2011 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • sam

Well the washer and Dryer is May Tag brand and HP combo pack made by HP, Xbox Kinect bundle is made from microsoft and the LED 1080p tv I got was made by WestingHouse. To me most of the brand that I made the purchase is american made and the spending that I made is a small part that help to contribute with spending needed to play some role that keeps American economy moving.

November 25, 2011 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • NotBuyingIt

I don't have a problem with buying foreign products. I have a Hyundai that exactly the vehicle that is useful to me. What I have a problem with is buying crap I don't need because some advertisement tells me 500 times that I have to have it. I will figure out what I have to have. Meanwhile, the economy that is based on getting people to spend money they don't have buying things they don't need will fall on its own sword, cause us all grief, and then go the way of the dinosaur. I hope to survive the fiasco.

November 25, 2011 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
  2. sam

I think it's all depends the area where you are shopping at. This was my 1st Black Friday event with my family, it went well. I waited in-line at Hhgregg for 5 hours for a washer and dryer combo and I was the last to get a ticket of the 8 available combo unit, and also the HP laptop with the Touchpad combo. It's good that the employees came out to organize the line before they hand out the tickets for items to prevent people from cutting in line. After I made my purchased from Hhgregg, me and family went to taget to get the Xbox kinect bundle, even though the line was long Target had planned out how to get the check out line moving. I was there for two hours but was a good experience and the effort paid. I got to enjoy my 1st Black Friday with my family and got great savings along the way.

November 25, 2011 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mike B SHOPPING ON LINE

Sam, great positive comments......

November 25, 2011 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Mike B SHOPPING ON LINE

When is White Saturday???

November 25, 2011 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • sam

Thanks Mike B.
      This is a great shopping season and also will help spur the American economy.

November 25, 2011 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
  4. heather

I am handmaking my christmas cards. i have about 1/2 inch of glitter on my floor! lol! sometimes i goodwill store for my freind who is neurotic & doesn't think she deserves things. you can come outta there with a bagfull of stuff for $20. i contribute to foodbanks. i do really cool collages with my own photography. beadwork. yaaaaay!

November 25, 2011 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Mike B SHOPPING ON LINE

When is Blue Sunday?

November 25, 2011 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
  6. USA is Broken

It IS a disease.
    Although, it's somewhat encouraging to read all the critical comments here. There is no good reason for people cramming into parking lots at midnight for the opportunity to buy useless junk? If you needed something, you would have already had it.
    Americans are sick with greed and the barbaric behavior that goes with it.
    A Nation of Greed and Ignorance.

November 25, 2011 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mike B SHOPPING ON LINE

Mr. USA,,,Where do you live. How can you say all Americans when its only a percentage....They have a Convict Saturday in Syria, do you need a ticket? You don't have to wait in line...There is a discount at a website you might like :

Youarecrazy.com/idiot

November 25, 2011 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • SportsGal501

Who doesn't have an Xbox360? This system has been out for over 5 years already.This is the part I find ridiculous,you would have thought it was a *new release* Xbox.The way these shoppers were acting.Totally unbelievable...it's true if you couldn't afford it before,this reaction confirms how desperated these shoppers were (especially Ms Pepper Spray).I have an Xbox360 that has been sitting up in my closet for over three years since I had purchased my PS3.

November 25, 2011 at 8:31 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Karl Blessing

to the eyeliner woman... you knew what day it was today, think much?

November 25, 2011 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
  8. jdog

consumerist materialistic neanderthals...

November 25, 2011 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Jeremy

It's stupid. It's not a holiday rather it's a concerted PR campaign especially the past 15 years or so to get people to spend money. It's nothing more than collusion by media outlets (who often have vested interests in other businesses and want money spent) and retailers to create a "keeping up with the Joneses" environment that you absolutely MUST spend this day shopping shopping shopping! My condolences to the employees with 18 hour shifts dealing with thousands of costumers today; what should be a vacation weekend killed for them so some 7 or 8 figure yearly salary executives can buy another house or yacht.

November 25, 2011 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
  10. joblaze09

LMFAO at all you "Blood Friday" shoppers.

November 25, 2011 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Necessity

My income is very small because I am disabled with a debilitating illness. I HAVE to shop at W**M*** because it's the only place I can afford to buy groceries. Thank God for Sam Walton!

November 25, 2011 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mike B SHOPPING ON LINE

Hi Necessity,

I too am Disabled with a Brain Tumor....I use Coupons and shop at Wal Mart sometimes, but not everything there is Cheaper. Keep an eye on it. Good luck with your Medical condition. Everyday is Friday to me.

November 25, 2011 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
  12. sami

There is nothing I or anyone I know needs enough to go shopping today. Nothing I need that would get me to give my hard earned money to the crazy coporations that are sucking dollars from the mindless masses. I thought this was the holiday season. Where is the peace and goodwill? Won't go into the stores (grocery only) until February. My skills are spent avoiding that craziness.

November 25, 2011 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mike B SHOPPING ON LINE

Where do you live? No Groceries till February? Do you live next to an all you can eat Buffet???

November 25, 2011 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
  13. turtlemom

I have one word for BLACK FRIDAY:

H-O-A-R-D-E-R-S!!!!!

November 25, 2011 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • NoMore

Yeah no kidding. I literally watched a guy pushing a cart around at walmart with almost 60-70 Xbox 360 games.

November 25, 2011 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |
  14. NoMore

Retailers really should not do this at 10PM anymore. This year was the worst black friday that I have been to yet.

November 25, 2011 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Chris

Today I bought a pint of whiskey. That is the extent of my Black Friday shopping. The big boxes can go finger themselves.

November 25, 2011 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Blame Bush

Cheers my friend, we're of the same viewpoint.

November 25, 2011 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |