Weary of Black Friday, some plan to shop local on Saturday
November 25th, 2011

Weary of Black Friday, some plan to shop local on Saturday

Black Friday's not for everyone.  As crowds accumulate and shoppers get rowdy at retail stores nationwide, more and more Americans are declaring they're over the biggest shopping day of the year.

With pepper sprayings, a tasing and other Black Friday-related violence across the country, outrage is surfacing under the Twitter hashtag #F--BlackFriday. Amid critiques of consumerism run amok, some are calling on the American public to patronize local businesses instead.

"Hmm. Pepper spray? Gunshots? Parking lot robberies after midnight? hahaha #F--BlackFriday You suckers can have it," RoxinalRanger tweeted Friday, summing up the thoughts of many.

The loudest groans appear to be coming from store employees, many of whom have been on their feet for hours with no end in sight.

"It's only been 9 hours? F– me. Here till 5 PM! Who starts work at midnight and gets off at 5pm," one worker tweeted Friday, summing up the thoughts of many.

"I've never hated people or my job more than I do right now. I really hate everyone in this store. I really truly do," another tweeted.

"I already wanna strangle customers," another said.

For their part, shoppers also appeared to growing weary of the long lines and growing hostility.

"It has gotten to the point were I actually hate shopping.. #f-blackfriday #neveragain," @GabrielMaguina tweeted.

Others expressed frustration that they could not go shopping for ordinary items without braving crowds.

"Is there any store in the world I could go to and not need to wait 3 hours to buy a razor and eyeliner," Eye-V tweeted.

Others simply had other priorities: "I like sleep more than low low prices," @BenKuzmicz said.

Many CNN.com commenters vowed earlier this week to avoid Black Friday by shopping earlier, with some arguing that its popularity is emblematic of what’s wrong in the United States.

“Bargain hunting and using credit cards to pay for majority of purchases; US consumers (are) overburdened with debt and cannot stop just like the US government," larryking11 said, in one of the comments featured in Thursday's Overheard on CNN.com post.

"I am boycotting Black Friday and spending time with my friends and family instead of shopping. And to those retailers opening up on Thanksgiving night ... I will not be shopping at your stores at all this holiday. You are nothing more that a bunch of greedy grinches," Blackrhino said.

Some who associate Black Friday with overwhelming crowds and capitalism at its ugliest are saving their pennies and energy for Saturday.

Now in its second year, the American Express-sponsored "Small Business Saturday" is billed as "the day we celebrate the Shop Small movement to drive shoppers to local merchants across the U.S."

On the event's Facebook page, which has more than 2.5 million fans, users are sharing shopping plans and businesses are throwing out sale pitches.

"Love shopping small mom and pop shops – always get the best stuff and unusual stuff," one shopper said.

Another user, presumably a retail employee, pledged "to give everyone the kind of service they don't get online or in the 'big box' stores. Service is what makes small business better."

However, other commenters on the Facebook page expressed skepticism over American Express' involvement.

"I love that this is presented by American Express....because that doesn't scream hypocrisy...." one user said.

"Question: Is American Express reducing its transaction fees for small businesses this weekend (or forever?)? Most of my local retailers can't afford to take AmEx!" another said.

American Express is using the event to encourage shoppers to use their AmEx cards. Cardholders who register an eligible American Express Card and use it for a purchase of $25 or more at a small business on November 26 will receive a one-time $25 statement credit, according to the Facebook page.

The push to patronize local business comes amid wider backlash against Black Friday. Earlier this week, organizers of the Occupy Wall Street movement urged protesters to occupy major retailers on Friday. So far, there have been no reports of major protests.

At least one small business urged shoppers not to buy from them on Friday. TheOldTry, a Boston-based print shop specializing in homages to the South, urged shoppers to reconsider the reason for the season.

"I'd prefer you not buy anything from us nor anyone else tomorrow and you spend time with friends and family. #tistheseason # honesty," the store tweeted.

Post by:
Filed under: Business • Economy • Holidays
  1. Peikovianii

What could be a cheerier start to the holiday season than setting some tents on fire? We could roast marshmallows. It would be by the democratic will of the majority, and that is all that's required in our new collective order.

November 25, 2011 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Blame Bush

We refuse to join in the Black Friday insanity of consumerism and corporate greed.

I wish a pox on all the chains that open on Thanksgiving Day, or midnight or 4AM or whatever.

I wish new brains for all those who line up like lemmings and push and shove to buy discontinued TV models.

November 25, 2011 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Peikovianii

Jon Kest says "Here's your throat back, thanks for the loan." But didn't he mean colon?

November 25, 2011 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
  3. White Monday

Monday. 8am sharp. Don't be late for work.

November 25, 2011 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Eumir

I bought a dime-bag of cat-nip on the corner market and went home. ZZZZzzzzzzzzzzz......

November 25, 2011 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Judy75201

Ha, I wonder what the fine print says on that AmEx offer...you may very well end up paying even more.

November 25, 2011 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scott

How about instead of posting "you wonder", how about finding out first...there is no fine print...Spend $25 at a small business, get a $25 credit. Amex does it because it's great for small business and it incentivizes them to carry AMEX. For the consumer it's brilliant, FREE $25 worth of product at YOUR favorite small business....No need to WONDER anymore.

November 25, 2011 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Judy75201

Scott, I see you have been drinking the kool-aid...

November 25, 2011 at 5:39 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Peikovianii

Anders Behring Breivik refuses to recognize the authority of his govt to judge him. He's a lot like OWS, because he answers to a higher, more profound truth, available only to those whose feelings mean more than other peoples' corruptible powers of reason or constiutional law. He has freed himself by the power of pure feeling, just as some of you will try to do. Except the NYPD won't be having any of that. Happy Holidays.

November 25, 2011 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
  7. sam

Well, it's all play in part of the planning. This year, instead of cooking at home, me and my family planned the whole day out. We went out and eat at a restaurant, then we went to the movie, the we went site seeing, then dinner and finally waited in-line for the items that me and my family needed, because my washer broke last week and to get a new washer was $599.00, but on Black Friday was $699.00 for the pair of May Tag front loader washer and dryer combo. It's worth the wait and savings, the package was original priced $1559.00

November 25, 2011 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Will S

You forgot the part where you were grateful to the slew of servers and clerks (and their families) who gave up their Thanksgiving for $8/hr so you could save a few bucks on appliances.

November 25, 2011 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Doosh-LaRooush

You can get better deals all day on line and not have to eff with the masses, some people like the trauma, but it's really for stupid people, like 60% of the country, Walmart cousin inbreeds, probably GoP leaning's even though their dirt poor

November 25, 2011 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Shep.

FOOLS! Instead of camping out all night or waiting in a line for hours only to fight the other customers for the one or two items that are on sale spend those extra hours at work. You'll not only earn the extra money needed to purchase the item you want buy, but you'll also make your boss/company happy.

November 25, 2011 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Joe

I scored a camera and iPod Touch. Yay!

November 25, 2011 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Will S

I've had a an iTouch for over a year and a camera since '82. Where have you been?

November 25, 2011 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Nancy M. B.

Sam, where did you go to school? You write like an illiterate.

November 25, 2011 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Scott

I don't normally post but American Express is doing a fantastic thing for consumers. When someone posts that local business can't afford to accept AMEX, AMEX fees are no more than 1% higher in fees, so $1 for every $100 transaction. And the average AMEX customer spends 1.7 times the average consumer....Businesses are crazy not to accept American Express....but for those that don't, that's just more they will spend with us ;-).

November 25, 2011 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
  13. frisbegolf

good thing they used an old photo from years ago. I can still see the old dollar bills they are pulling out

November 25, 2011 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Husker Bob

I'd riot for a $9 waffle iron, and I'd pepper spray you and your children for $15 off a $45 Blu Ray DVD player.

November 25, 2011 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
  15. TriXen

So glad i stayed home and put up the Christmas lights. Now I can relax and do all my shopping online as usual.

November 25, 2011 at 5:22 pm | Report abuse |