Weary of Black Friday, some plan to shop local on Saturday
November 25th, 2011

Weary of Black Friday, some plan to shop local on Saturday

Black Friday's not for everyone.  As crowds accumulate and shoppers get rowdy at retail stores nationwide, more and more Americans are declaring they're over the biggest shopping day of the year.

With pepper sprayings, a tasing and other Black Friday-related violence across the country, outrage is surfacing under the Twitter hashtag #F--BlackFriday. Amid critiques of consumerism run amok, some are calling on the American public to patronize local businesses instead.

"Hmm. Pepper spray? Gunshots? Parking lot robberies after midnight? hahaha #F--BlackFriday You suckers can have it," RoxinalRanger tweeted Friday, summing up the thoughts of many.

The loudest groans appear to be coming from store employees, many of whom have been on their feet for hours with no end in sight.

"It's only been 9 hours? F– me. Here till 5 PM! Who starts work at midnight and gets off at 5pm," one worker tweeted Friday, summing up the thoughts of many.

"I've never hated people or my job more than I do right now. I really hate everyone in this store. I really truly do," another tweeted.

"I already wanna strangle customers," another said.

For their part, shoppers also appeared to growing weary of the long lines and growing hostility.

"It has gotten to the point were I actually hate shopping.. #f-blackfriday #neveragain," @GabrielMaguina tweeted.

Others expressed frustration that they could not go shopping for ordinary items without braving crowds.

"Is there any store in the world I could go to and not need to wait 3 hours to buy a razor and eyeliner," Eye-V tweeted.

Others simply had other priorities: "I like sleep more than low low prices," @BenKuzmicz said.

Many CNN.com commenters vowed earlier this week to avoid Black Friday by shopping earlier, with some arguing that its popularity is emblematic of what’s wrong in the United States.

“Bargain hunting and using credit cards to pay for majority of purchases; US consumers (are) overburdened with debt and cannot stop just like the US government," larryking11 said, in one of the comments featured in Thursday's Overheard on CNN.com post.

"I am boycotting Black Friday and spending time with my friends and family instead of shopping. And to those retailers opening up on Thanksgiving night ... I will not be shopping at your stores at all this holiday. You are nothing more that a bunch of greedy grinches," Blackrhino said.

Some who associate Black Friday with overwhelming crowds and capitalism at its ugliest are saving their pennies and energy for Saturday.

Now in its second year, the American Express-sponsored "Small Business Saturday" is billed as "the day we celebrate the Shop Small movement to drive shoppers to local merchants across the U.S."

On the event's Facebook page, which has more than 2.5 million fans, users are sharing shopping plans and businesses are throwing out sale pitches.

"Love shopping small mom and pop shops – always get the best stuff and unusual stuff," one shopper said.

Another user, presumably a retail employee, pledged "to give everyone the kind of service they don't get online or in the 'big box' stores. Service is what makes small business better."

However, other commenters on the Facebook page expressed skepticism over American Express' involvement.

"I love that this is presented by American Express....because that doesn't scream hypocrisy...." one user said.

"Question: Is American Express reducing its transaction fees for small businesses this weekend (or forever?)? Most of my local retailers can't afford to take AmEx!" another said.

American Express is using the event to encourage shoppers to use their AmEx cards. Cardholders who register an eligible American Express Card and use it for a purchase of $25 or more at a small business on November 26 will receive a one-time $25 statement credit, according to the Facebook page.

The push to patronize local business comes amid wider backlash against Black Friday. Earlier this week, organizers of the Occupy Wall Street movement urged protesters to occupy major retailers on Friday. So far, there have been no reports of major protests.

At least one small business urged shoppers not to buy from them on Friday. TheOldTry, a Boston-based print shop specializing in homages to the South, urged shoppers to reconsider the reason for the season.

"I'd prefer you not buy anything from us nor anyone else tomorrow and you spend time with friends and family. #tistheseason # honesty," the store tweeted.

Post by:
Filed under: Business • Economy • Holidays
  1. Smith

I worked at circuit city about 4 years ago on Black Friday. It was the most rudest experience of my life. Just because you are the customer and are spending your money at that store doesn't mean you have the right to be demanding and rude. Trust me employees would rather not get up at 3am to make it to a 4am opening that everyone has to attend or you lose your job.

November 25, 2011 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse |
  2. ancestralmight

I FIND IT STRANGE HOW AMERICAN SOCIETY TRIES TO OVERLOOK THE EVIL OF THANKSGIVING AMONGST OTHER FALSE "HOLIDAYS" AND THE FACT THAT ITS NATIVE AMERICAN HERITAGE MONTH...PUTTING UP CHRISTMAS DECOR AND S&*T B4 END OF NOV..NOTHING CHANGES..WE DONT CARE....CONSUME CONSUME CONSUME...UNTIL IT GETS REAL....OH YEAH AND WHAT ABOUT THE TROOPS THE SO CALLED 1%...

November 25, 2011 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Judy75201

Regardless of the origins of the Thanksgiving holiday, in this day and age it means a very special time to be with family and, yes, to be thankful.

November 25, 2011 at 5:53 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Jefferson

Stop buying products made by the chinese in china.....it is junk...I went to Macys...all the stuff for sale on sale was made in china...it is useless chinese junk...boycott chinese made products...merry christmas

November 25, 2011 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Cesar

Thank god I live in Peru, you people should try buying some peace and quiet for a change, before you spend all your money on f*?ing toys...

November 25, 2011 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Blame Bush

I agree. Thank you for your perspective.

November 25, 2011 at 5:46 pm | Report abuse |
  5. @emty stores 2011

That's because today is Friday, not Saturday. Duh.

November 25, 2011 at 5:40 pm | Report abuse |
  6. me

I braved the local mall today, twice even. I rang the bell for the Sal Army and after a quick run home for breakfast, went back to shop for two needy families. I figure I can get the most for them today. All in all, if I didn't have good intentions at hand, I'd avoid the mall like the plague today!!!!!

November 25, 2011 at 5:44 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Blame Bush

Is it Black Friday or Black Plague? Feels like a plague to me, brought to you by greed and the media.

November 25, 2011 at 5:48 pm | Report abuse |
  8. banasy©

I am weary of Black Friday and I didn't even go shopping.

November 25, 2011 at 6:32 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Mmmmm

I stop shopping starting on black friday and will not be back in the stores til march when all the crazy, rude, crimminal, violent people have returned to their crevices and the used, broken, and returned goods have been sent back to the wholesalers...I don't like mobs and used full parking lots with surrounding traffic as an indicator to head in the opposite direction.

November 25, 2011 at 6:48 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Betty10

Every time I have gone Black Friday shopping... NOTHING happened. People were nicer and more courteous than normal. CNN should go to a Walmart on a Wednesday evening at 5. That sh** is scary.

November 25, 2011 at 6:51 pm | Report abuse |
  11. bobcat2u

@Jefferson
    If we stop buying products made by chinese in china, who else can we buy them from ?

November 25, 2011 at 7:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • hm

We could try manufacturing our own products, and, heck, maybe export some of them. Just a thought....

November 25, 2011 at 10:38 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Sandy

I love black Friday and it is not going away! Deal with it.

November 25, 2011 at 7:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • hm

Perspective. Get some.

November 25, 2011 at 10:38 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Dylan

I dont think wanting a great deal makes you a materialistic zombie even though thats what eveyone on here wants you to think. it tells me if anything that people now finally have money to spend again and want to make their dollars do more........ To be honest its a good thing because maybe people see that excessive spending is really why the recession happened and to make the future better we should spend within our means............ Most people are not jerks on Black Friday and the ones that are have garbage lives and wished they could be civil......... For me ill take my 9 dollar blender kick back with a margarita and call it a successful day

November 25, 2011 at 8:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • MashaSobaka

I don't care how cheap that 40-inch flatscreen is...if you're buying it, it's already excessive expenditure. Do not buy crap that you do not need. Period.

November 25, 2011 at 8:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • hm

How many of those people do you think are spending cash on those goods? I'm guessing none. People are still spending money they don't have on things they don't need. It's greed and materialism, not to mention when you shop at these Big Box stores a. nothing there is made locally or in the US, in general and b. you're helping put mom and pop stores out of business. You're making Sam Walton's family more wealthy so they can buy more crap from China to tell and so they can NOT pay their employees a living wage.

November 25, 2011 at 10:41 pm | Report abuse |
  14. CAPPATINO

ECONOMICS! SUPPLY & DEMAND

November 25, 2011 at 8:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • hm

No need to shout.
      And this isn't about economics...this is about people thinking they need things they don't.

November 25, 2011 at 10:43 pm | Report abuse |
  15. JON

I love being a slave. More bailouts for bankers please.

November 25, 2011 at 8:19 pm | Report abuse |