Weary of Black Friday, some plan to shop local on Saturday
November 25th, 2011

Weary of Black Friday, some plan to shop local on Saturday

Black Friday's not for everyone.  As crowds accumulate and shoppers get rowdy at retail stores nationwide, more and more Americans are declaring they're over the biggest shopping day of the year.

With pepper sprayings, a tasing and other Black Friday-related violence across the country, outrage is surfacing under the Twitter hashtag #F--BlackFriday. Amid critiques of consumerism run amok, some are calling on the American public to patronize local businesses instead.

"Hmm. Pepper spray? Gunshots? Parking lot robberies after midnight? hahaha #F--BlackFriday You suckers can have it," RoxinalRanger tweeted Friday, summing up the thoughts of many.

The loudest groans appear to be coming from store employees, many of whom have been on their feet for hours with no end in sight.

"It's only been 9 hours? F– me. Here till 5 PM! Who starts work at midnight and gets off at 5pm," one worker tweeted Friday, summing up the thoughts of many.

"I've never hated people or my job more than I do right now. I really hate everyone in this store. I really truly do," another tweeted.

"I already wanna strangle customers," another said.

For their part, shoppers also appeared to growing weary of the long lines and growing hostility.

"It has gotten to the point were I actually hate shopping.. #f-blackfriday #neveragain," @GabrielMaguina tweeted.

Others expressed frustration that they could not go shopping for ordinary items without braving crowds.

"Is there any store in the world I could go to and not need to wait 3 hours to buy a razor and eyeliner," Eye-V tweeted.

Others simply had other priorities: "I like sleep more than low low prices," @BenKuzmicz said.

Many CNN.com commenters vowed earlier this week to avoid Black Friday by shopping earlier, with some arguing that its popularity is emblematic of what’s wrong in the United States.

“Bargain hunting and using credit cards to pay for majority of purchases; US consumers (are) overburdened with debt and cannot stop just like the US government," larryking11 said, in one of the comments featured in Thursday's Overheard on CNN.com post.

"I am boycotting Black Friday and spending time with my friends and family instead of shopping. And to those retailers opening up on Thanksgiving night ... I will not be shopping at your stores at all this holiday. You are nothing more that a bunch of greedy grinches," Blackrhino said.

Some who associate Black Friday with overwhelming crowds and capitalism at its ugliest are saving their pennies and energy for Saturday.

Now in its second year, the American Express-sponsored "Small Business Saturday" is billed as "the day we celebrate the Shop Small movement to drive shoppers to local merchants across the U.S."

On the event's Facebook page, which has more than 2.5 million fans, users are sharing shopping plans and businesses are throwing out sale pitches.

"Love shopping small mom and pop shops – always get the best stuff and unusual stuff," one shopper said.

Another user, presumably a retail employee, pledged "to give everyone the kind of service they don't get online or in the 'big box' stores. Service is what makes small business better."

However, other commenters on the Facebook page expressed skepticism over American Express' involvement.

"I love that this is presented by American Express....because that doesn't scream hypocrisy...." one user said.

"Question: Is American Express reducing its transaction fees for small businesses this weekend (or forever?)? Most of my local retailers can't afford to take AmEx!" another said.

American Express is using the event to encourage shoppers to use their AmEx cards. Cardholders who register an eligible American Express Card and use it for a purchase of $25 or more at a small business on November 26 will receive a one-time $25 statement credit, according to the Facebook page.

The push to patronize local business comes amid wider backlash against Black Friday. Earlier this week, organizers of the Occupy Wall Street movement urged protesters to occupy major retailers on Friday. So far, there have been no reports of major protests.

At least one small business urged shoppers not to buy from them on Friday. TheOldTry, a Boston-based print shop specializing in homages to the South, urged shoppers to reconsider the reason for the season.

"I'd prefer you not buy anything from us nor anyone else tomorrow and you spend time with friends and family. #tistheseason # honesty," the store tweeted.

Post by:
Filed under: Business • Economy • Holidays
  1. MashaSobaka

I find it hilarious that people justify going out and spending hundreds of dollars on useless crap with the excuse that the prices were marked down. Guess what? You're still spending hundreds of dollars on useless crap. Anyone who thinks that this is smart spending – and there is an astonishingly high number of people who do – needs a comprehensive psychological evaluation. Too bad you won't find one of those at 70% off.

November 25, 2011 at 8:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • MLHthinking

I agree.

November 25, 2011 at 9:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • hm

Indeed!

November 25, 2011 at 10:43 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Thelma Lou Brickmore

What ir one doesn't have a 40 inch TV, and is looking to replace a dinosaur 13in B/W tv? Is it foolish then, MashaSobaka?

November 25, 2011 at 8:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • really?

Something tells me if you have a 13" black and white TV, you have a TON of other problems in your life apart from worrying about upgrading it to a 40" TV.

November 25, 2011 at 9:00 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Andrew

black friday, cyber monday, now "local saturday"? what next, duty free airport sunday?

November 25, 2011 at 8:39 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Thelma Lou Brickmore

Salisbury Sunday.
    Just sayin.

November 25, 2011 at 8:46 pm | Report abuse |
  5. nameless

i manage a retail store. today was not what we hoped for as far as sales go. everyone went to the big box stores at midnight, to hound the poor employees plucked from thanksgiving to serve the throngs of greedy public. The consumer was asleep, bloated with cheap hell-mart goods, mindlessly feeding all that we know in our hearts is wrong, while we waited for them to come.

November 25, 2011 at 8:49 pm | Report abuse |
  6. faceless

@nameless:
    Was that supposed to make us feel bad, somehow?
    All stores are retail stores...

November 25, 2011 at 9:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • escher7

Actually there are wholesale stores.

November 25, 2011 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • hm

Well, yeah, if you have any sort of humanity or compassion, it SHOULD make you feel bad. But you're probably one of those sheeple who just blindly consumes from places like Walmart and doesn't think about the effect that such behavior has on small businesses, nor do you, apparently, care that these places treat their workers like crap.

November 25, 2011 at 10:33 pm | Report abuse |
  7. really?

Someone needs to explain to me the NEED for this ludicrous day? With technology the way it is, why not just have these sales online, give all the employees a Thursday and Friday off and call it.

It's a win win, the companies save overhead and people get to shop from home without having to deal with it, and the employees get the time off. I

No before people start saying about those without a this stuff, the bottom line is f you don't have a computer with internet or a phone with internet, chances are you need to get your life together and not be worrying about these sales to begin with.

November 25, 2011 at 9:03 pm | Report abuse |
  8. @really?

It was a rhetorical question, numb nutz.

November 25, 2011 at 9:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • really?

Ah yes the age old rhetorical question in written form on the internet?

Because that ALWAYS goes over so well when you write one sentence? (rhetorical question for those scoring at home)

November 25, 2011 at 9:12 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Fanny Farquair

@really:
    My, aren't you the condescending little one?

November 25, 2011 at 9:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • really?

how so? because I stated something about people who may have a 13" B&W TV?

THAT is condescending to you?

Let me be ACTUALLY condescending by telling you perhaps you should look the word up before using it again. NOW THAT was condescending

November 25, 2011 at 9:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • escher7

All three of you sound like REALLY happy people.

November 25, 2011 at 9:55 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Thelma Lou Brickmore

@really:
    You mean, besides my name?

November 25, 2011 at 9:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • really?

you mean besides the fact your probably the only one who even knows who or what a Thelma Lou Brickmore is?

Yet that is a clue on a rhetorical comment?

November 25, 2011 at 9:16 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Fanny Farquair

@really?
    I guess you just answered my question with your last post.
    Add arrogant to my post, for you are.

November 25, 2011 at 9:15 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Fanny Farquair

No, because of the way both of your posts were written condescendingly. Perhaps you should look the word up, also.

November 25, 2011 at 9:17 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Ryan

Unbeleivable. We have people "occupying" cities all over the country protesting "greedy" corporations, and yet, here we see the greed of the everyday man. Pepper spraying people because she wants that game system (yes, wants, not needs, there is a difference.) A family ROBBED in the middle of a parking lot. Society at it's best. No wonder this country is in the state it's in. It's not the big companies making money, it's those of you who have to HAVE everything just because it's on sale for $40 less. I still have a N64 that i bought in like '98. Yes I have a Wii also but my wife bought that for our family. Do I want a new system? No, I don't. if you aren't happy with what you have then you will never be happy. This country is nothing but a "give me, give me" state. Greed is not the corporations but society as a whole.

November 25, 2011 at 9:25 pm | Report abuse |
  14. George©

I'll bet the people who went nuts today at these sales are the same ones who bash OWS wholeheartedly.

November 25, 2011 at 9:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • escher7

They're upset because the can only organize for one day, (and not that well).

November 25, 2011 at 9:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • hm

You know it!

November 25, 2011 at 10:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • really?

you base this on your extensive research and polling of these people?

Oh wait...I get it, your trying to equate "crazy" people with OWS people with absolutely nothing to back up your claim while at the same time trying to make some sort of "point"

Yes the old, I don't know anything but I have an opinion on the topic I know nothing about argument...CLASSIC!

November 25, 2011 at 11:19 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Jack

Geez, really? You're an ass hole.

November 25, 2011 at 10:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • really?

instead of having to separate and thereby making the "word" your using not correct you should have called me rude and/or obnoxious (same meaning and it would get through the filter)

In spite of how incorrect your assessment would be, it would be the better way of saying it and make your English teacher smile

November 25, 2011 at 11:15 pm | Report abuse |