Weary of Black Friday, some plan to shop local on Saturday
November 25th, 2011

Weary of Black Friday, some plan to shop local on Saturday

Black Friday's not for everyone.  As crowds accumulate and shoppers get rowdy at retail stores nationwide, more and more Americans are declaring they're over the biggest shopping day of the year.

With pepper sprayings, a tasing and other Black Friday-related violence across the country, outrage is surfacing under the Twitter hashtag #F--BlackFriday. Amid critiques of consumerism run amok, some are calling on the American public to patronize local businesses instead.

"Hmm. Pepper spray? Gunshots? Parking lot robberies after midnight? hahaha #F--BlackFriday You suckers can have it," RoxinalRanger tweeted Friday, summing up the thoughts of many.

The loudest groans appear to be coming from store employees, many of whom have been on their feet for hours with no end in sight.

"It's only been 9 hours? F– me. Here till 5 PM! Who starts work at midnight and gets off at 5pm," one worker tweeted Friday, summing up the thoughts of many.

"I've never hated people or my job more than I do right now. I really hate everyone in this store. I really truly do," another tweeted.

"I already wanna strangle customers," another said.

For their part, shoppers also appeared to growing weary of the long lines and growing hostility.

"It has gotten to the point were I actually hate shopping.. #f-blackfriday #neveragain," @GabrielMaguina tweeted.

Others expressed frustration that they could not go shopping for ordinary items without braving crowds.

"Is there any store in the world I could go to and not need to wait 3 hours to buy a razor and eyeliner," Eye-V tweeted.

Others simply had other priorities: "I like sleep more than low low prices," @BenKuzmicz said.

Many CNN.com commenters vowed earlier this week to avoid Black Friday by shopping earlier, with some arguing that its popularity is emblematic of what’s wrong in the United States.

“Bargain hunting and using credit cards to pay for majority of purchases; US consumers (are) overburdened with debt and cannot stop just like the US government," larryking11 said, in one of the comments featured in Thursday's Overheard on CNN.com post.

"I am boycotting Black Friday and spending time with my friends and family instead of shopping. And to those retailers opening up on Thanksgiving night ... I will not be shopping at your stores at all this holiday. You are nothing more that a bunch of greedy grinches," Blackrhino said.

Some who associate Black Friday with overwhelming crowds and capitalism at its ugliest are saving their pennies and energy for Saturday.

Now in its second year, the American Express-sponsored "Small Business Saturday" is billed as "the day we celebrate the Shop Small movement to drive shoppers to local merchants across the U.S."

On the event's Facebook page, which has more than 2.5 million fans, users are sharing shopping plans and businesses are throwing out sale pitches.

"Love shopping small mom and pop shops – always get the best stuff and unusual stuff," one shopper said.

Another user, presumably a retail employee, pledged "to give everyone the kind of service they don't get online or in the 'big box' stores. Service is what makes small business better."

However, other commenters on the Facebook page expressed skepticism over American Express' involvement.

"I love that this is presented by American Express....because that doesn't scream hypocrisy...." one user said.

"Question: Is American Express reducing its transaction fees for small businesses this weekend (or forever?)? Most of my local retailers can't afford to take AmEx!" another said.

American Express is using the event to encourage shoppers to use their AmEx cards. Cardholders who register an eligible American Express Card and use it for a purchase of $25 or more at a small business on November 26 will receive a one-time $25 statement credit, according to the Facebook page.

The push to patronize local business comes amid wider backlash against Black Friday. Earlier this week, organizers of the Occupy Wall Street movement urged protesters to occupy major retailers on Friday. So far, there have been no reports of major protests.

At least one small business urged shoppers not to buy from them on Friday. TheOldTry, a Boston-based print shop specializing in homages to the South, urged shoppers to reconsider the reason for the season.

"I'd prefer you not buy anything from us nor anyone else tomorrow and you spend time with friends and family. #tistheseason # honesty," the store tweeted.

Post by:
Filed under: Business • Economy • Holidays
  1. @hm

No, I'm not one of those people, but thanks for playing the "I'm so much better than you because I assume stupid sh!t game." Now, go f@#k off.

November 25, 2011 at 11:12 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Kevin

How about not shopping at all? Are these discounts such a big deal that you can't wait or even order it online? I had a great family Thanksgiving yesterday, dinner, going out to a movie. The only hiccup in it was driving by these stores and seeing these lemmings standing line at these places. How about all these workers who had to come in on Thanksgiving day? Were they at least being paid overtime for working extra hours?

November 26, 2011 at 12:08 am | Report abuse |
  3. critical thinker

if it makes you feel better about yourself to act like a douch, act like a douch. what a c*u*n*t.

November 26, 2011 at 12:45 am | Report abuse |
  4. Debra Brown

With the present state of the economy and the need for jobs and income, I don't see the problem with this. We live in a free country where we can celebrate how we want. Let's remember that the extra hours the employees get that they may need for their own needs and families. Consumerism creates jobs – A LOT of them. Isn't that what we need? It is our governmnet with their reckless spending on handouts, greedy banks with ruthless lending practices, and the slimy investment houses and traders that did this to our country. I would think that consumerism is a job creator. Let's also include the taxes on these purchases that go to the states that are broke as well. Before we bash a group of people for spending on a day that they choose, can we try to find a positive here?

November 26, 2011 at 12:55 am | Report abuse |
  5. justathought

========How many of you people would like to strangle the guy who invented Christmas shopping?=============

November 26, 2011 at 1:02 am | Report abuse |
  6. Beagal 564

This whole thread is the DUMBEST one I have ever read!
    Really, Really?, Fanny Farquair, Thelma Lou Brickmore, ect!
    You all THINK your so articulate, but in REALITY... your world is a bunch of words in a box 24/7
    GET A LIFE!

November 26, 2011 at 2:58 am | Report abuse |
  7. Scottish Mama

I do not shop on Thursday or Black Friday, or satuday, Silly Sunday, or Cyber Monday. My daughter did and she bought me a Nikon L105 camera. I had my old camera, 1978 Canon, but since they are no longer going to process the film I thought I should get a new camera.
    @Thelma- I also have a black and white 13" TV. I have always bought the best equipment and taken care of it. That is why I have what I have. If it isn't broke don't fix it. Plus my children have an insight into the time when there was only black and white, and when we played pong and some 64 game on them.

November 26, 2011 at 8:18 am | Report abuse |
  8. RUFFNUTT ( ELF slayer & BUGBEAR KILLER )

i went blackfriday shoping.. i seen a oldlady , and a pregnant lady start fist fighting over a nintendo.. to bad it wasn't a couple hot chicks.. but it was kinda funny.. one guy passed out in the crowd at nfm..

November 26, 2011 at 9:07 am | Report abuse |
  9. banasy©

@Beagle:
    The most absurd threads are the most fun at times.
    If one has a problem with people's absurdity, one shouldn't read them.

These threads are not any worse than the ones with a poster crying all night because no one paid any attention to her, or because her cyber-luvr broke up with her.

Don't read 'em. Simple.

November 26, 2011 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
  10. bobcat ( in a hat )

If we can"t have our absurdities, life just wouldn't be any fun. That's the trouble witha lot of people. They can't find humor in anything.
    Welcome back banasy.

November 26, 2011 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Beagal 564

@ banasy, wrong one, but your comment is 'very' interesting! 🙂 I just get sick of all the BS on these blogs

November 26, 2011 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
  12. banasy©

@Beagal:
    Wrong one what?

We all get sick of these blogs at times; that's the nature of blogs.
    Yep, bs is slung here daily, that's for sure!
    Some people are just plain mean-spirited; I hope I am not one of them...I don't think so, anyway.

@bc(iah)

I find the people I adore the most are absurd. (Love that word, as one could tell)
    I find humor to be a better outlook than being dour and pessimistic; who wants to be like Walter, that old man puppet of Jeff Dunham's?

November 26, 2011 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
  13. banasy©

@bc(iah)
    GP's at it again.
    We should take Mama's suggestion and all name ourselves George.
    Of course, you'll be george (in a hat), I'll be george©,
    Good times.

November 26, 2011 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Beagal 564

Opps, Sorry I had to step away for a moment. My old lady is gone for the weekend and gave me a whole buncha chores to do. Anyway, you said "her", I'm a guy. I use to post under Fred; changed it to this cause I have a beagal and won $564.00 that I used to upgrade my womens' ring with. Nice to meet ya tho.

November 26, 2011 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
  15. banasy©

@Beagal:
    I wasn't talking about you, specifically, just about what other posters have posted that is equally silly as the rest of our ramblings.
    Nive to meet you, too.