Gotta Watch: Shopping frenzy
People crowd the aisles inside Macy's department store November 25, 2011 in New York after the midnight opening to begin the 'Black Friday' shopping weekend.
November 28th, 2011

Gotta Watch: Shopping frenzy

The madness of Black Friday is behind us. Despite an increase in sales it was a day marred by violence at several stores. As we enter Cyber Monday, bargain hunters will be able to take advantage of sales online instead of having to risk hand-to-hand combat in the aisles. While you browse the Web for deals, take a look at some of the craziest moments from Black Friday, from shoppers rioting over a waffle iron or going to great lengths to get a spot in line.

Woman pepper-sprays shoppers – Police say a woman pepper-sprayed fellow customers on Black Friday to make sure she got a hold of a deal at a Los Angeles Wal-Mart. The woman then proceeded to pay for her items and leave before police arrived.

Brawl at the jewelry counter – Two men fight each other at a Wal-Mart jewelry counter in Kissimmee, Florida. Police had to intervene to break up the scuffle.

Shocking deals – iReporter Ryan Casale captures footage of a Black Friday shopper at a Wal-Mart in Southington, Connecticut being Tasered by police.

Post by:
Filed under: Connecticut • Consumer safety • Crime • Florida • Gotta Watch • Holidays • Justice • Los Angeles • Thanksgiving • U.S. • Uncategorized
  1. Where's The Outrage?

What's the connecting factor? Oh, yea, they're all Walfarts.

November 28, 2011 at 10:58 am | Report abuse |
  2. michaelfury

Cyber Tuesday was a steal.

November 28, 2011 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
  3. Jeff Frank ( R - OHIO ) "Яight Wing Иutcase"

Did you listen carefully to what the young gentleman said in the video? He said he could feel the effects of the mace.
    Do you know what mace is? Mace is illegal.
    The woman was using pepper spray (confirmed). This is not the same thing. But it still was still used on passive shoppers in an act of aggression (reckless conduct regardless of life).

November 28, 2011 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
    • Paul Elkins

Where did this woman think she was, UC Davs?

November 28, 2011 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Leaf on the Wind

I heard that there were no plans by law enforcement to prosecute her. Shouldn't she be cited for assault? Reckless public endangerment? If they don't file charges, they are encouraging this sort of behavior and we'll see more of it next year.

November 28, 2011 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
  4. banasy©

@Jeff Frank:
    I truly doubt that the man was thinking of the legal differences between mace and pepper spray; he was thinking his eyes hurt like a b!tch...

The woman who sprayed it turned herself in. I heard that on my am news.

November 28, 2011 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
    • BOMBO

I wonder if she's related to the "she-are-the-manager" woman who called 911 to complain about McNuggets.

November 28, 2011 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
  5. ANDRE HIMES

Under racial profiling many black americans were arrested and were either martyred(MURDERED) within the prison system or were deported to africa and where many of them were martyred there and were buried in mass graves in both the SUDAN and the congo .It was this act as well as the rise of the hiphop nation which had been summon against black america by the white feminists and those whites who have a long history of embracing white supremacy is what has contribute to the black holocaust in which much of the black human population was sacrifice. A new demonic black america has arisen from both the antebellum and the hiphop nations and is based on stereotypical images of low class and poverty stricken as well as criminally prone blacks and has replace the black human population in this nation . THE WHITE FEMINISTS WERE TRICK IN BELIVING THAT IT WILL EASY TO GET GET RID OF ANDRE HIMES, NOT KNOWNING ABOUT THE POWER OF THE HOLY LAMB IN HEAVEN WHO HAS BEEN GUARDING HIS LIFE SINCE THE DAY ANDRE WAS BORN AT SHAW AIR FORCE BASE ON APRIL 30 1965 AND WHO WHOSE ANGEL PLACE THE SEAL OF THE LIVING GOD IN HIS FOREHEAD ON AUGUST 12 1993.

November 28, 2011 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
    • BOMBO

I tried to read your post. I really did. But somewhere in the middle it was clear that it just wasn't going to happen.

November 28, 2011 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • CB

Wow. That is 50lbs of crazy in a 5lb bag.

November 28, 2011 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Deb

Umm... Huh? The saddest part is that this makes sense to you, doesn't it?

November 28, 2011 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Burbank

THIS IS YOUR BRAIN ON DRUGS....

November 28, 2011 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Tyrone

I ain't gotta watch no shopping frenzy. You white folks thinks I gotta watch this and that, but I ain't gotta watch nuttin you tells me to. I gotta watch your white women when they out doin they stuff when you white men ain't watchin.

November 28, 2011 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Swimmer

Tyrone, if you are for real, I love you my friend. You are a man's man. Don't ever let them change you. Your head works in wonderful ways. And you made my day.

November 28, 2011 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
  7. michaelfury

"The madness of Black Friday is behind us."

But the madness of Black Tuesday is not.

November 28, 2011 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
  8. nightshade.

Hey Tyrone
    Ya'll is a free peoples now. Youse be a free man now. We don't makes you do nuthin youse don wanna do.

November 28, 2011 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
  9. banasy©

Andre Hines:

Huh?

November 28, 2011 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |
  10. U First

Black Fridays should have these steps in place:

1. Ropes along the merchandise. People walk by, take a box, and keep going.
    2. You can't get out of line. Stay in line, move to the item, open your paw, retrieve the item, move on.
    3. You should have single file of people outside. Walk into the store. Any who run, will be put to the side.

It will work. But this craziness is awful. More people are going to get killed. I never go to 'em. Shop the last week of the month people. That's when the real sales are!

November 28, 2011 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Deb

I disagree. I think the way it should be handled is as follows:
      1. Line up all the people outside
      2. Open the doors and let everyone in.
      3. Have Natalie Portman open a wormhole to another dimension and send them all away.
      4. Close the wormhole and forget about these crazy types.
      5. Move on and focus on things that may actually matter.

November 28, 2011 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Leaf on the Wind

U First, I gotta go with Deb on this one. Black Friday has become a violent melee, to be avoided at all costs. Like the guy in the first video said, no deal is worth this.

November 28, 2011 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
  11. gl

I don't think cavemen treated each other this bad. Maybe it's time for another earthly flood.

November 28, 2011 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Swimmer

CAN WE TAKE BACK OUR THANKSGIVING HOLIDAY?!
    We used to hear stories and see images of good people doing nice things on and around Thanksgiving.
    Now we're all obsessed with discounts and fights. It was bad enough that this started at 5 a.m. the day after Thanksgiving. Now it starts on Thanksgiving Day. Is nothing sacred? Are we just going to hand over our national holiday to merchants, media and shopper bullies?

November 28, 2011 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Leaf on the Wind

In my family, we began referring to Christmas as "The Retailer's Holiday" decades ago. We don't exchange gifts. We buy amusing little stocking stuffers with a $5 per item limit, and each empty our stocking one at a time. Try it. It's fun and you don't have to go crazy with holiday shopping madness. My "Christmas shopping" such as it is was done weeks ago, so now I can just relax and enjoy spending time with loved ones.

November 28, 2011 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Whatever

WalMart is the antichrist! Look at the mayhem they created. What with their low-low prices and promises of beating everyone else on price, this Angel of Death, disguised as a retail outlet, will bring hell's fury upon all of our heads. The portal to eternal damnation has begun to open. Beware to you all! By the way, they did have a great deal on mud flaps for my 350 dualie. I got them and got out before Beelzebub could get her scrawny meat hooks on me (it coulda been the greeter and not Satan...but who can tell for sure?).

November 28, 2011 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Maryann

You people in the media just kill me. You do nothing but promote, promote and promote Black Friday and then are so shocked and amazed at how badly people behave when they participate in it.

YOU are part of the problem! How about doing a story on that???!!!!

November 28, 2011 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Burbank

I think that's why they promote it (which I think they are paid to do on the sly by Corporate Big Box) then they get to report on the melee afterwards.

November 28, 2011 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Andrewbee

My Black Friday parody of "The Night Before Christmas" is posted as a CNN iReport. It got more hits this weekend than any other "Shop-pocalypse" report.

November 28, 2011 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |