Gotta Watch: Shopping frenzy
People crowd the aisles inside Macy's department store November 25, 2011 in New York after the midnight opening to begin the 'Black Friday' shopping weekend.
November 28th, 2011

Gotta Watch: Shopping frenzy

The madness of Black Friday is behind us. Despite an increase in sales it was a day marred by violence at several stores. As we enter Cyber Monday, bargain hunters will be able to take advantage of sales online instead of having to risk hand-to-hand combat in the aisles. While you browse the Web for deals, take a look at some of the craziest moments from Black Friday, from shoppers rioting over a waffle iron or going to great lengths to get a spot in line.

Woman pepper-sprays shoppers – Police say a woman pepper-sprayed fellow customers on Black Friday to make sure she got a hold of a deal at a Los Angeles Wal-Mart. The woman then proceeded to pay for her items and leave before police arrived.

Brawl at the jewelry counter – Two men fight each other at a Wal-Mart jewelry counter in Kissimmee, Florida. Police had to intervene to break up the scuffle.

Shocking deals – iReporter Ryan Casale captures footage of a Black Friday shopper at a Wal-Mart in Southington, Connecticut being Tasered by police.

Post by:
Filed under: Connecticut • Consumer safety • Crime • Florida • Gotta Watch • Holidays • Justice • Los Angeles • Thanksgiving • U.S. • Uncategorized
  1. Fallen Angel

If you think the lines of people and the choas was bad and horrible.Wait and see all those same people with lines outside the stores returning what they bought.You know why? 95% of all those products are refurbished (they were previously owned by someone before you and had a defect which the store temporarily fixed and sold to you at a lower price).How do you think they are able to offer you such low prices for these otherwise expensive items???? Think about it? Curcuit City,Fretters does any of these stores ring a bell? Fallen Angel

November 28, 2011 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gracko

They're not refurbished, but they definitely aren't the latest and greatest versions of whatever item we're talking about here. The reason they sell them so cheaply at a loss is because they know most people aren't going to come just to buy one thing. They're already impulse buying so they are likely to buy other stuff. That LCD tv they just bought.. guess what, the cables, surge protectors, and accessories are definitely NOT on sale.

November 28, 2011 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  2. eweswelcone

I say we line up retail executives......and kill them.

November 28, 2011 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Mike

Why do people shop at Walmart? It's ghetto, disgusting, and they have no ethics.

November 28, 2011 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Vicki

I think most people shop at walmart because they have no other choice. When walmart came to my town it wasn't long before all the other stores closed their doors. Wamart is good at running people out of business and bad at customer service. I hate the place but don't want to drive 45 minutes one way just to pick up what I need. Believe me, if there was another store close by good old walmart would never see me again.

November 28, 2011 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Get What You Pay For

I wonder what the lifespan is for a $2 waffle iron? The quality must be very poor and probably made with cheap parts. You get what you pay for, but in these cases, you get what you fight for. People must feel really good about themselves for doing whatever it takes to get their hands on a crappy waffle iron.

November 28, 2011 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
  5. kelly

Such classy people shop at Walmart no?

November 28, 2011 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Malik

Yes, this shopping frenzy will mend the broken economy and erase the $13,000,000,000,000 deficit. The sheep are gullible.

November 28, 2011 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
  7. sameeker

People shooting, tazing and pepper spraying each other.If that happened at an occupy protest, the police would have shut it down in a second. Simply amazing.

November 28, 2011 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
  8. banasy©

Fallen Angel, the items have to clearly be marked that they are refurbished, both in ads and on the boxes.
    If people buy them *then*, it's on them.

November 28, 2011 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Fallen Angel

Banasy you and Gracko are living in a fatasy world.Myself and some of my friends have gone to just regular sales at stores where items were shrink wrapped being sold as new.when opened scratches,dents,wearing marks and shortly after the items would develope problems and then stop working completely.My point is why are people beating each other up for defective items while the stores rub their hands together watching in total NIRVANA!!!!! Fallen Angel

November 28, 2011 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Leaf on the Wind

Fallen Angel, what you describe is a criminal act. Did you report the store? If not, you should have.

November 28, 2011 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
  9. BOND, JAMES

All for cheap, inferior products, that upon puschasing, come that much closer to putting your neighbor out of a job, congrads, your a fool

November 28, 2011 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Hasher Iva

I cannot think of any deal so good I have to fight the Black Friday crowds. I just waited until Cyber Monday. 🙂 My health, safety, sanity and stress levels just aren't worth it.

November 28, 2011 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
  11. BOND, JAMES

As if their actions didnt give it away, walmart is bad news, NO corporation should have that kind of influence on political policy, or anything political, campaign contributions are just the tip. sad to see what my country has come to.

November 28, 2011 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
  12. palintwit

These people are all trying to get their hands on an autographed copy of Sarah Palin's famous 'crosshairs' poster. The perfect gift for a loved one this Christmas.

November 28, 2011 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
  13. TW

Walmart management has comperhensive plans. However, if they don't have Loss Prevention Associates to carry them out you get these crowds. I would brief everyone before letting them in that they will not get anything if they act unrully. I walked them in and they got numbers for all the items.

November 28, 2011 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  14. banasy©

To my knowledge, WalMart has never given numbers out or had any stategy at all for Black Friday.
    At least the ones in my area...
    One look at all of the news reports about B.F. crime involving WalMart bear that out.

November 28, 2011 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  15. TW

I have never had any problems with my crowds in my stores. I got stuck in them all by my self. (Asset Protection/Loss Prevention Associate). Not one fight, no one pushed, no police. We were located in one of the bad neighborhoods in Upstate SC. So, It's The Plan!

November 28, 2011 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Leaf on the Wind

Asset Protection/Loss Prevention Associate - isn't that another way of saying "security guard"? Nice that you have a job, TW, but you must admit that there are many security guards who couldn't rub two brain cells together.

November 28, 2011 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |