November 28th, 2011

Teen will not apologize to governor's office for Twitter post

A high school senior, who faces a Monday morning deadline to apologize to Kansas Gov. Sam Brownback for a disparaging tweet, has said she will not write the apology letter.

"I don't think I should write the letter and I don't think it would be the best move for me," Emma Sullivan, 18, said late Sunday night. "At this time, I do not think an apology would be a sincere thing for me to do."

Sullivan said her parents and many of her peers support her decision.

The teen made national headlines last week for a tweet she said was intended just for her friends.

During a Kansas Youth in Government field trip to the state capitol on November 21, Sullivan wrote: "Just made mean comments at gov brownback and told him he sucked, in person #heblowsalot."

The Shawnee Mission East senior says she did not actually talk to Brownback, and the post referenced a joke she had with a student on the trip.

The next day, she was called into the principal's office.

"I had no idea what it was about or why I was being called into the office," she said. "I had never been in trouble before."

A Brownback staffer had notified the principal, she said.

"My principal told me he needed to do damage control and was really upset," Sullivan said. "He said I was an embarrassment to the school and the school district and that I had been disrespectful."

The principal then asked her to write a letter of apology to Brownback and his staff. He set Monday as the due date for the letter.

FULL STORY

Filed under: Education • U.S.
  1. beachrat

I would weigh in on the side of the student. It is an outrage that this is happening in this country and the governor and the school districct shout apologize to the student

November 28, 2011 at 2:29 am | Report abuse |
  2. royce

Apologize to your LORD AND MASTER OR FACE THE INQUISITION!

November 28, 2011 at 3:15 am | Report abuse |
  3. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

Many, and perhaps even most, teenagers today have not been taught to behave with manners, dignity, and respect for authority.
    I would not expect Miss Sullivan to know better behavior than she displayed, and apparently her teachers cannot force her to apologize as they have no consequences to impose if she does not apologize.

November 28, 2011 at 4:36 am | Report abuse |
  4. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

When I was fourteen years old, I raised my voice to the owner of a movie theater who was sitting at the ticket booth.
    The superintendent of our school made me return to the theater and apologize to the man.
    I a very grateful that my teachers taught me how to behave.

November 28, 2011 at 4:42 am | Report abuse |
  5. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

TYPO:
    "I am very grateful..."

November 28, 2011 at 4:45 am | Report abuse |
  6. rooney

Apologize by Monday or what? The comment wasn't even that bad. Doesn't she have a right to say how she feels? Why should she apologize if she's not sorry?

November 28, 2011 at 5:25 am | Report abuse |
  7. justathought

She told it as she saw it, and she may have spoken the truth. The truth hurts, and apparently she hurt someone with the truth. She embarrassed the school? If she were a jornalist would she have been cursed or appauded? Just consider all the name calling on this forum; has anyone been called in for judgement?

November 28, 2011 at 5:57 am | Report abuse |
  8. She changed her story

Her 2005 testimony denied that her husband rayped boys, so she is at least guilty of perjury and obstrution of Justice. Until we start dealing with people like her as common criminals, those whom they enable willl continue to thrive among our boys. Girls? What girls. We charge old men who raype just girls with statutory raype and throw thm in prison. Raype a few American boys and you lose your job? These men raype our boys and their women help them. Arrest them and charge them as common criminals in cahoots.

November 28, 2011 at 6:13 am | Report abuse |
  9. justathought

Brownback s*u*c*ks and #blowsalot. Arrest me!

November 28, 2011 at 6:28 am | Report abuse |
  10. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

This is part of the New Manners.
    There is only one rule now: "it is disrespectful of you to expect me to be respectful of you."
    Things have Changed.

November 28, 2011 at 6:37 am | Report abuse |
  11. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

During the late 1960s, I was at a gathering in a fine Mississippi home, and two older gentlemen were discussing current events.
    "They've turned the world upside down," one of them said.
    The Change continues.
    How many USA citizens realize that this Change is related to our economic plight?

November 28, 2011 at 6:43 am | Report abuse |
  12. banasy©

Tweeting seems to be bringing a great many people unwanted attention.
    Our advanced social technology is a double-edged sword.

November 28, 2011 at 7:01 am | Report abuse |
  13. justathought

I tried to learn exactly what this student said: can't find anything, but I think it was only insults, no threats. So, in my opinion, it is the Brownback staffer who is the real villian. She (I think it was a "she") probably some old busybody, trouble-making, biddy, made a mountain out of a molehill. and she is taking no flack.

November 28, 2011 at 7:28 am | Report abuse |
  14. banasy©

@justathought:
    She said:
    “Just made mean comments at gov brownback and told him he sucked, in person #heblowsalot.”

She implied she said this to him personally.

November 28, 2011 at 7:54 am | Report abuse |
  15. banasy©

@justathought:
    Men make just as many mountains out of molehills; in fact, I think men are waaaaaaay more pc than women.
    Men can be old biddy busy-bodies; I think they're just as bad, if not worse.

November 28, 2011 at 7:58 am | Report abuse |