Overheard on CNN.com: Is four years fair for Michael Jackson's death?
Citing a "pattern of deceit and lies," a judge said Tuesday that Dr. Conrad Murray was involved in "a cycle of horrible medicine."
November 29th, 2011

Overheard on CNN.com: Is four years fair for Michael Jackson's death?

Editor's note: This post is part of the Overheard on CNN.com series, a regular feature that examines interesting comments and thought-provoking conversations posted by the community.

A California judge sentenced Dr. Conrad Murray to four years in jail - the maximum possible sentence - for the overdose death of Michael Jackson.

Murray sentenced to four years behind bars

The sentence, and the judge's harsh words for Murray, had CNN.com commenters debating whether Murray got off easy with the involuntary manslaughter conviction, or if he was railroaded because his patient was an international superstar.

"This is just a tragedy all the way around," starryskye said.

"Clearly he did not intend for Michael to die. Clearly, he is still fully responsible for his death. I see a depressed, broken individual, and nothing will bring back Michael. Putting him in prison will not serve any purpose nor protect anyone as he cannot practice medicine again. Sentencing him to therapy and to community service would be more productive and in a sense be more honoring to Michael."

radiogirl886: Let's not forget that Michael Jackson is dead because Michael Jackson was a drug addict. His addiction killed him, and that's on Michael Jackson. Yes, this doctor should be punished because he violated the law by prescriping drugs in a negligent manner, but people act as if justice has been served in a cruel, tragic murder.

The simple fact is that if it was not Dr. Murry, it would have been Dr. Someone Else and Michael Jackson would be just as dead because Michael Jackson was a drug addict. If Michael Jackson couldn't have found a Dr. for prescription drugs to abuse, he would have gotten illegal drugs off the street."

Others, like ChefCHEESE, blamed Murray for Jackson's death.

"4 year for killing a man is very little time. He got of easy. After 4 years he will still have a life while MJ will not neither will his Kid's see their dad ever again."

CuddlyCarla: "I love the people who keep painting Dr. Murray as some innocent victim, clearly they haven't been following the trial. Never mind his lying to doctors and police, secretly taping his patient and breaking the confidentiality clause, ordering hundreds of deadly vials of Propofol, trying to conceal evidence, neglecting patient, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.

What do you think of the sentence? Share your thoughts in the comments, or post a video comment through CNN iReport.

Compiled by the CNN.com moderation staff. Some comments may have been edited for length or clarity.

Filed under: Overheard on CNN.com
  1. Royce

I am not sure that I agree with the final verdict. Here's why. Murray was to be paid $150,000.00 a month for his services to M Jackson. He actually never received a penny. Now if I was recieving that much monthly for the rest of my life, I don't think I would kill the golden goose, would you? I agree he was wreckless and made poor decisions, but to prove intent of killing him is a little too far out for me. The Judge was a little harsh in his delivery in that respect. I think MJ was a drug addict who could not get ou of his problem and took an overdose without informing his Doctor.

November 29, 2011 at 8:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Twinkle

Hallo Royce, I think the right verdict was reached in this case. And given Michael's drug dependency, he somewhat contributed to his own death. There was clearly no intent on Dr. Murray's part to kill the goose that laid the golden egg – and Judge Pastor acknowledges this – but it seems that the fact that he (Dr. Murray) showed no remorse weighed heavily against him. But following Judge Pastor's sentencing address, I have been wondering why Dr. Murray recorded Michael in that "spaced" state? Who knows?

December 2, 2011 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Jeff Frank (R-Ohio) "Right Wing Insanity"

Man...that look Murray looking over his shoulder. Sung to Lady Gaga's: I can't make the bail....now off I'm off to jail....Totsi...Pop pop....Poppoparazzi!!! ;)

November 29, 2011 at 8:28 pm | Report abuse |
  3. kim

Its so unfair to call Michael Jackson a drug addict when this so called doctor admitted he did not tell him the full effects of the drug he was given and then to have no concern for him by the lack of proper care. This drrug is not a drug you can just go to any street corner and buy. Michael was murder by this man who seems to have no remorse and lied try to cover his evil deeds by deposing evidence at every chance he got. Then he he has the nerve to be arrrogant as if Michael life was not as important! He was wrong. Four years is not enough but it should send a message to this quack that he was wrong and his lack action caused a man death. Its to bad he didn't get life.

November 29, 2011 at 8:48 pm | Report abuse |
  4. chrissy

Lol nice Jeff, very very nice! :) and @ Royce, good point! The part i disagree with mostly is that he should have to pay the family $l00 mil plus an additional $l.8 mil for the funeral?? Thats freakin ridiculous, but thats how his father always rolled!

November 29, 2011 at 9:14 pm | Report abuse |
  5. chrissy

And his father needs to own up that part of the problem M.J. had was due to how HE treated him growing up!

November 29, 2011 at 9:19 pm | Report abuse |
  6. ronvan

YES, MJ had his demons, but the sad truth about this whole thing is that it is about money! Murry broke his vows as a doctor to get rich. The judge gave him the max, but don't be surprised when he walks in a month or two, if that long!!

November 29, 2011 at 11:28 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Paul

Michael was a victim of the media. Media destroyyed MJ. Media crucified an innocent man. He could not sleep. He could not sleep because the media haunted him.

November 30, 2011 at 2:26 am | Report abuse |
  8. Cal

"Fair"? I think it depends on who you ask. For instance, anyone who was a victim of MJ would probably think it's too long, but anyone who thought MJ was oogly-googly wonderful would be gnashing their teeth and tearing their hair over the short sentence. I'm neither so I don't have much of an opinion beyond hating unethical "professionals" and wishing I had one in my pocket like MJ did. Pretty conflicted here.

November 30, 2011 at 3:52 am | Report abuse |
  9. Matthew

Four years after being CONVICTED to being responsible for a human being's death. Mistake or not, four years is a JOKE! If any other non-celeb employed individual were to be convicted like this, he/she would be in prison for life. It's just ONE MORE example of how FLAWED and how much of a complete JOKE our legal system is!

November 30, 2011 at 5:27 am | Report abuse |
  10. banasy©

He got the maximum sentence he could get for what he was charged with.
    This would be a non-issue if it weren't MJ that was involved.
    If it were any old Joe Schmoe, no one would even blink an eye...and we wouldn't be reading about it.

November 30, 2011 at 7:27 am | Report abuse |
  11. kathys

Like Jermaine said yesterday "100 years wouldn't be enough". His loss as affected his family and the community and Murray doesn't get it.
    I am thanking GOD he was convicted.

November 30, 2011 at 8:32 am | Report abuse |
  12. Dixie Normous

Murray gets 4 years...but MJ's plastic surgeon is free?

December 1, 2011 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse |
  13. skullys

The sentence for Conrad Murray was so unfair, MJ was a drug addict, he basically paid Dr M to keep his habit up in the privacy of his own home. Murray should have gotten off with a fine. Face it Mehserle got away with cold blooded murder in the Oscar Grant case, seen by millions of people, Murray was prescribing medicine to a sick man for years and one night, just like many other stars, the addict went to far. I'm sure they won't say the jails are too overcrowded for him like they do for Lindsey Lohan.

December 6, 2011 at 2:14 am | Report abuse |
  14. TELECOMMANDE HAYON UNIVERSELLE

Great post, very informative. I'm wondering why the opposite specialists of this sector do not notice this. You must proceed your writing. I'm confident, you have a great readers' base already!|What's Happening i'm new to this, I stumbled upon this I've discovered It absolutely useful and it has helped me out loads. I hope to contribute & help different users like its helped me. Good job.

September 8, 2012 at 5:46 am | Report abuse |