December 7th, 2011

Sandusky arrested on new child rape charges

[Updated at 2:34 p.m. ET] Former Penn State assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky was arrested Wednesday on additional child rape charges, which raise the number of alleged victims from eight to 10 people, the Pennsylvania attorney general's office said.

The new charges include four counts of involuntary deviate sexual intercourse and two counts of unlawful contact with a minor, involving two new alleged victims who were boys at the time of the alleged encounters.

Sandusky, who maintains his innocence, faces a preliminary hearing on December 13 at 8:30 a.m.

"Today's criminal charges were recommended by a statewide investigating grand jury, based on evidence and testimony that was received following the initial arrest of Sandusky on November 5," Pennsylvania Attorney General Linda Kelly said.

The new alleged victims - identified as Victim 9 and Victim 10 - encountered Sandusky at The Second Mile charity, a nonprofit organization he founded for underprivileged children.

Victim 9 was between 11 and 12 years old when he met the former coach around 2004, who allegedly gave him gifts and money and took the boy to university football games, according to the statement.

Sandusky allegedly met Victim 10 in 1997 after a counselor recommended the boy attend the charity "because of difficulties in his home life."

A grand jury report made public last month detailed 40 charges against the former coach in a child sex abuse scandal that, at the time, involved eight alleged victims, spanning 15 years.

A look at the grand jury report

The eight alleged victims identified in that report, like the two new accusers, first encountered Sandusky through the Second Mile, the attorney general's office said.

"As in many of the other cases identified to date, the contact with Sandusky allegedly fit a pattern of 'grooming' victims," Kelly said. "Beginning with outings to football games and gifts, they later included physical contact that escalated to sexual assaults."

FULL STORY
  1. Minerva

I knew an Olympic diver/swimmer. He said child molestation was rampant among male coaches. I think this is going to play out like the Catholic priests with more allegations coming out of the woodwork like swarming termites. I hope all the grown up children have the courage to come forward with their stories. This is the best way to heal themselves, and stop the abusers who will not stop until incarcerated or dead. Like the priesthood, the coaches are authority figures in a position of trust. Most of us don't question what they do. Its a wake up call that like democracy, it only works when everyone is involved. So ultimately, the blame lies with parents and the people who surround the children daily for not seeing what should be seen or sensed. You always have to be vigilant. And its everyone's job.

December 7, 2011 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Wild Red Berry

no. actually we report you for being too illerate to post in English.

December 7, 2011 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Elizabeth

Research shows that there are at least three times more victims that remain silent than those who file charges against a pedophile. Most pedophiles will say that they were "only showing them love" or "only playing around." In their own minds this is not a crime. They need to be locked up for life or offered castration. There is no cure for pedophilia.

December 7, 2011 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Roaster

If this has never happened to you, be thankful. I was abused by a young man when I was about seven years old. I can tell you that it leaves marks that last most of your life. The most confusing time is when you are younger and just don't really understand what happened. You even may think its ""normal"", because you just don't know whats going on. I didn't speak about my abuse (not even to my parents) until I was in college because I though it was embarassing. As I grew older I learned to forgive even my abuser, get married, and have a happy and healthly family of my own. There is also a stigma associated with abuse victims that say that if you have been abused, you may be an abuser yourself. I can tell you that this is just not the case with me, but its another reason I refuse to talk about it much. I do watch my own children like a hawk and don't put them into situations where this may occur. We can pray for the victims as they head down their own road of recovery. God bless.

December 7, 2011 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
  5. bubba

sandusky is no different than a catholic priest ,why dont they get arrested too/?

December 7, 2011 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Jay

Honestly, if this was an average Joe he would have been in prison a long time ago. He's a child molester, AKA: a monster, (a danger to children) let's put him where he can get the same treatment he has been dealing out. How sick is this man, and the people than let this continue for decades? Heaven help us, what is more discussing is his callous, calm demeanor in which he describes his "feelings toward children, this man is very sick, very, very sick, and he has been that way for a very long time. SHAME on those that knew, and did nothing. How do you sleep at night?

December 7, 2011 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Alison

To be fair, he WAS in jail, but he can afford to post bail. That is why he has been out of prison after the initial set of charges. Now he is in jail on these charges and if he is given the opportunity and can afford bail again, he'll be out in no time. If "Average Joe" can afford bail, he gets out too.

December 7, 2011 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • sockpuppet

Alison you're wrong. The point is that most other pedophiles would have been held WITHOUT the option of bail. THe judge was a person who worked on his charity and ALLOWED bail in the first place, and then set it at a low number he could afford. She was removed from the case because o the obvious conflict of interest. Hoping the new judge will not allow him bail this time around

December 7, 2011 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • BMcGee

Actually, he didn't have to pay a penny. His $100,000 bail was unsecured, so he would have to pay the money only if he didn't show up for court.

December 7, 2011 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Leo Smart

I am surprised no one has blamed President Obama for this one too.

December 7, 2011 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
  8. LZ@MN

KEEP HIM LOCKED UP IN JAIL!!! and see what "the boys" in jail do to him... only what he deserves!

December 7, 2011 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  9. bubba

maybe herman cain is buddys with sandusky

December 7, 2011 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  10. morris2196

Sandusky is 67 years old. He probably has been molesting children for 30 years, maybe more. I doubt that we will ever know the total number of victims. It is a disgrace that it has taken us as a society this long to take legal action against him.

December 7, 2011 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Carol

I agree but because FOOTBALL is the god of money it will be a haven for pediphiles. I personally am very happy they have arrested him again. The last arrest was the judge's scam. I just wish they would put him in the general population. I guess that would be asking to much.

December 7, 2011 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  11. g3

I just typed the words "Jerry Sandusky" into an online anagram generator and got an interesting result (for those who don't know, an anagram generator takes the letters from a group of words and rearranges them into new word combinations).

Anagram for "Jerry Sandusky": "Ass Dryer Junky".

The Anagram has spoken! Lock him up now!

December 7, 2011 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Cat-Cat

This guy makes me sick just looking at him -creepy!

December 7, 2011 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • jason83

even to look at his name makes me want to vomit.

December 7, 2011 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Steelers Stink

just another gay guy doing what they do....

December 7, 2011 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Alison

Yes, every gay person in the world forces themselves on children. You are so ignorant.

December 7, 2011 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • George

In case you don't know it less that 1% of pedophiles are gay. Most are single, straight, white males between 18 and 35 years of age. You can Google this stuff you know? With all the info at your finger tip these days it amazes me that people like you choose to be so ignorant.

December 7, 2011 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Janet

It just astounds me that he thought he would never get caught or that no one would ever come forward. It disturbs me that he thinks he did nothing wrong. Sociopaths have the ability to justify their bad behavior, minimize it, and dismiss it. This dude needs to be locked up for the rest of his life.

December 7, 2011 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  15. faboge

they bagged another republican!

December 7, 2011 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |