Reports: Slugger Pujols to join Angels
Albert Pujols bats during Game 7 of the 2011 World Series.
December 8th, 2011

Reports: Slugger Pujols to join Angels

Free-agent slugger Albert Pujols will join the Los Angeles Angels on a 10-year contract worth at least $250 million, according to reports Thursday morning.

Both Yahoo! Sports and ESPN reported that Pujols, who has spent his entire 11-year career with the St. Louis Cardinals, had agreed to the deal. Both organizations cited anonymous sources in reporting the deal.

Pujols has a lifetime batting average of .328 with 445 home runs and 1,329 RBI in his 11 seasons with the Cardinals.

The 31-year-old first baseman hit .299 with 37 home runs and 99 RBI last season as the Cardinals won the World Series.

The deal would be the second or third richest in major league history, falling behind Alex Rodriguez's deals with the New York Yankees and possibly the Rodriguez's earlier deal with the Texas Rangers, according to the Yahoo! report.

Post by:
Filed under: Baseball • Sports
  1. dan

I am a resident of the City of Saint Louis and a Cardinals fan and here is how I see this – We had arguably the best player in the major leagues for the first 11 years of his career for an average of about $11 million dollars a year. I consider that to be the best deal possibly in the history of sports considering his numbers in those 11 years. For the price they paid, the Angels can HAVE him for the next 10 declining years. That big body of his already has several chronic issues (heel, elbow, etc...) that will only get worse over time. I do not begrudge the man for what he did at all and i am confident that a goodly amount of that money will be used for good deeds – he is a GREAT charity guy and nothing he does on or off the field will change that. Signed a Cardinals fan who is NOT upset in the least that our management did not bite the flashy bait and ruin the future of the team.

December 8, 2011 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Third Person

Totally agree. He's actually getting paid what he should have been, only he's getting it on the tail end of his career. Weird.

December 8, 2011 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • K Kelton

We aren't from nor do we live in St. Louis or LA, we're from Tennessee! We absolutely think the CARDS are basically HISTORY. . . certainly for a long, long while, you lost the greatest "player" in the game, and one of the best managers as well! We will continue to be Cardinal fans, maybe not to the same extent. . . but we'll ALWAYS love our Cardinal "ANGEL" much, much more! We can now root for the Braves in one division and the Angels in the other! More options for the "middle" man, so to speak. . . and by the way Albert Pujols ABSOLUTELY, unequively DOMINATES, regardless of where he play. . . and with the prices in St. Louis, trust me. . . he'd surely have been worth the bucks! Bar non. . . that also includes yep, Mark McQuire, who I do believe was proven to get "stimulated" in more ways that one! Face it. . . the sooner the better, St. Louis really screwed this deal up and ROYALLY too! Now we'll simply be flying to LA to catch a game every now and again! Cardinal fan, but much bigger FAN OF THE MAN, in Tennessee!

December 11, 2011 at 10:10 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Poo Hole

Face it. I'm expensive.

December 8, 2011 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. NYYFan1

Well, I am happier the Los Angeles Angels picked Albert Pujols up vs. those dastardly Boston Red Sox. I am SO TIRED of all the nonsense I get from the Boston Red Sox fan nation about how my NYY are all done...LOL...Truth of the matter, it seems to me without their GM, Theo Epstein, and his sidekick Manager, Terry Francona, the BOSTON RED SOX ARE ALL WASHED UP...LMAO....{:o)

December 8, 2011 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Gayla

Totally agree with Dan, although I am not a St. Louis resident, I live in neighboring Southern Illinois. We got the best years of Albert at a steal. Let him do what is right for him and his family and go on with the remaining Cardinals. Can't say that I blame him, been to LA three times and I like the weather better in LA than St. Louis.

December 8, 2011 at 6:59 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. john

As a Pittsburgh Pirates fan and from Pittsburgh. I say THANK YOU Albert for leaving to the American League! Now maybe just maybe the Bucs can win a few more games next season.

December 11, 2011 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. check it out

Thanks for every other excellent post. Where else may anybody get that type of information in such an ideal method of writing? I've a presentation next week, and I'm at the search for such information.

April 4, 2012 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. bicycle shop in penang

It's really a cool and useful piece of info. I'm satisfied that you just shared this helpful info with us. Please stay us up to date like this. Thanks for sharing.

April 28, 2012 at 8:21 am | Report abuse | Reply