Two former university officials are scheduled for a preliminary hearing Friday in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, in connection with the Penn State sex scandal.
Former Penn State Athletic Director Tim Curley and Vice President Gary Schultz were charged with lying to the grand jury and failing to report to police what current assistant football coach Mike McQueary told them he saw.
Meanwhile former Penn State assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky, who is accused of sexually abusing boys, remains "totally prepared and committed to proving his innocence" after waiving his right to a preliminary hearing Tuesday, his attorney said.
"We're ready to defend. We've always been ready to defend," attorney Joe Amendola said outside the Centre County Courthouse after the hearing. "There have been no plea negotiations. There will be no plea negotiations. This is a fight to the death. This is the fight of Jerry Sandusky's life."
The former coach faces more than 50 counts related to allegations of sexual molestation revealed in a grand jury report last month. He is accused of involuntary deviate sexual intercourse, among other charges.
About 20 people attended the hearing in support of Sandusky, Amendola said, including his wife, some of their children and some graduates of the Second Mile charity program, which Sandusky founded and from which prosecutors allege he groomed boys for subsequent abuse.
The case has drawn national attention even as more allegations of sexual abuse have surfaced over the past two months. In addition to Penn State, high-profile sex abuse cases have surfaced at Syracuse University, The Citadel, the Amateur Athletic Union and the University of Oklahoma.
AAU chief defends handling of sex abuse claims
The head of the Amateur Athletic Union told CNN in an exclusive interview Tuesday that his organization handled matters expeditiously after learning its former director was accused of sexually abusing boys.
"We formed our own internal investigative process, and then once we found out who the accusers were, we immediately went to the police department," AAU President Louis Stout said. "We didn't sit on this. No one has acted improperly within the Amateur Athletic Union regarding these accusations."
Robert "Bobby" Dodd, recently the group's CEO, is accused of sexually abusing boys in the 1980s when he was a YMCA coach based in Memphis, Tennessee.
Keith Johnson, the president and CEO of the YMCA of Memphis and the Mid-South, said he felt “gut-punched” when he heard of the allegations recently.
The allegations against Dodd, 63, arose after anonymous e-mails and phone calls in early November and catapulted into national prominence when two former basketball players told their stories to sports network ESPN's "Outside the Lines."
Listen to a CNN Radio Podcast on the impact of sexual violence on boys and men:
Alleged sex abuse victims suing Syracuse, Boeheim
Two men who accused former Syracuse University assistant basketball coach Bernie Fine of sexual abuse have filed a defamation lawsuit in a New York court against the university and its longtime head basketball coach, Jim Boeheim, their attorney announced Tuesday.
Bobby Davis and his stepbrother, Mike Lang, have alleged that Fine repeatedly abused them when they were children.
The lawsuit comes days after Boeheim apologized for accusing Lang and Davis of fabricating their allegations. "I believe I misspoke very badly in my response to the allegations that have been made," he said. "I shouldn't have questioned what the accusers expressed or their motives."
Attorney Gloria Allred told reporters that Boeheim's subsequent apology was "too little, too late."
"Over the past 35 years, Boeheim had hundreds, if not thousands of opportunities to observe Fine's relationship with boys," Allred added.
Davis told CNN's "Piers Morgan Tonight" later Tuesday that he hopes his actions encourage other young victims of abuse to come forward. "I am coming forth to (help) give children the courage to talk. I was afraid all my life to talk about this," he said.
Fine has maintained his innocence, saying the allegations are "patently false in every aspect." He has not been charged with a crime.
University of Oklahoma suspends professor amid sexual abuse charges
A University of Oklahoma professor has been suspended with pay amid allegations of sexual abuse, school police said Tuesday.
While charges have not been filed, the university has barred associate professor Dwain Pellebon, 54, “from any contact with students and from use of any university facilities,” said Catherine Bishop of the university police department.
"In accordance with university procedure, he was immediately placed on administrative leave with pay until more of the facts of the investigation are known at which time it could be changed to without pay," OU officials said in a statement.
Norman police arrested Pellebon Friday on two complaints of rape in the first degree and one complaint of lewd acts with a child under age 16, according to CNN affiliate KFOR.
"We can say there is one alleged victim, and we are working to determine if there are any additional victims," Tom Easley with the Norman Police Department said, KFOR reported.
He is out of jail on a $75,000 bond and has denied the allegations through his attorney, the station reported.
Lawsuit filed in Citadel sex abuse scandal
Attorneys on Wednesday announced a civil lawsuit against The Citadel on behalf of the mother of a young man who alleges he was sexually abused by Louis ReVille, a former counselor at the academy in Charleston, South Carolina.
The alleged abuse took place on several occasions in 2007 and continued for more than a year, CNN affiliate WCBD reported.
The lawsuit, announced in Charleston by attorneys Jeff Anderson and Gregg Meyers, alleges that The Citadel was grossly negligent in not reporting knowledge of an alleged previous abuse case by ReVille, according to WCBD.
ReVille was arrested in October on charges of molesting at least five children in alleged incidents around Charleston, unrelated to The Citadel accusations. According to court documents, he has admitted guilt in at least three cases involving incidents between November 2010 and October 2011.