December 18th, 2011
06:39 AM ET

Clashes in Egypt rage for third straight day

Violence between pro-democracy protesters and Egypt's security forces erupted for a third consecutive day Sunday as reports of casualties escalate.

The recent wave of violence, which began Friday, has left at least 10 people dead and at least 500 injured, health ministry spokesman Dr. Hisham Sheeha said.

Protesters captured an army officer in uniform and beat him before debating whether to swap him for a demonstrator who has been captured by the military.

The Egyptian stock market plunged amid the growing violence, losing 6 billion Egyptian pounds (about $1 billion) in the opening hours Sunday.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Arab Spring • World
soundoff (10 Responses)
  1. ┴┴∩И╛╛∩Я ( ½ ELF slayer & ½ BUGBEAR KILLER )

    they need to send the bangels over their on a peace keeping mission..
    .
    once they start playing they #1 hit "walk like an egyption" the violence will stop for sure..

    December 18, 2011 at 8:26 am | Report abuse |
  2. Mubarek is gone.

    Saddam is gone. So much for your cut it's head off/wizard of oz wicked witch theory.

    December 18, 2011 at 8:46 am | Report abuse |
  3. Portland tony

    Democracy doesn't just happen. It has to evolve. That's why our experiment in Iraq won't be pretty for quite awhile. Trying to convince 49.9% of a country's population that the other 50.1% is going to make the rules is a tough proposition.

    December 18, 2011 at 9:42 am | Report abuse |
  4. bigwilliestyles

    This is what happens when you settle for reform rather than revolution. You only give the forces of reaction time to regroup and return to old patterns of behavior. Once a people start on the path of revolt, anything less than victory is defeat.

    December 18, 2011 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
  5. chrissy

    So very true bigwillie! It appears that you are caving otherwise, then no one takes you serious and that gives em free reigne to stomp all over you time and again!

    December 18, 2011 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
  6. saywhat

    After the exit of our stooge Mubarak the Egyptians have now to deal with military rulers. But as @ bigwilliestyles puts it "Once a people on the path of revolt........." the spirit would not be defeatd.

    December 18, 2011 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
  7. ┴┴∩И╛╛∩Я ( ½ ELF slayer & ½ BUGBEAR KILLER )

    i like "the clash" the were a great 80's band

    December 18, 2011 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
  8. banasy©

    Great freedom comes at a great price.

    December 18, 2011 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Rudy54

    Man can those Arabs throw a rave, or what?!

    December 18, 2011 at 10:20 pm | Report abuse |
  10. TORI

    This concerns me as my mom is in Egypt now on business. I haven't heard from her in 4 days.

    December 19, 2011 at 12:18 am | Report abuse |