December 20th, 2011

Putin registered as candidate for Russian president

Russian election authorities officially registered Prime Minister Vladimir Putin Monday as a candidate for president in next year's election, they announced on their website.

Putin will represent his United Russia party, the Central Election Commission said.

The move is the latest step toward Putin's reclaiming the presidency after switching to the prime minister's office because of a law barring him from serving more than two consecutive terms as president.

Russia's third-richest man, the billionaire New Jersey Nets owner Mikhail Prokhorov, announced this month that he will run against Putin for president.

Many ordinary Russians suspect the Kremlin put Prokhorov up to it to give the impression the contest is fair.

FULL STORY
  1. Andreas Moser

If I was Russian, I would run.

December 20, 2011 at 9:04 am | Report abuse |
  2. banasy©

I *am* Russian, but I won't run.
    I think they tend to frown on people from the United States using write-in votes...

December 20, 2011 at 9:13 am | Report abuse |
  3. Portland tony

Putin may not be your idea of a perfect leader, but Russia is still emerging from decades of rebuilding and may need an quasi autocratic leader at this moment in time. But that's Russia. Looking at the dysfunctional legislature we have put in place to govern America, we have absolutely no right to point out faults in another nation's governance.

December 20, 2011 at 9:31 am | Report abuse |
  4. Jeff Frank ( R - OHIO ) "Putin your dingdong"

The billionaire (" New Jersey") Nets owner Mikhail Prokhorov, announced this month that he will run against Putin for president? You don't see anything wrong with this picture?

December 20, 2011 at 10:23 am | Report abuse |
  5. banasy© "Putin On The Ritz"

@Jeff Frank:
    Oh I see a lot wrong; I don't think he'll "win" though.

Merry Christmas to you and your family.

December 20, 2011 at 10:30 am | Report abuse |
  6. bobcat ( in a hat )

Surprise, Surprise, Surprise.

Putin ran out of time in his first two terms to istall the regime he wants. Now he'll have another two terms to complete it. I hope I'm wrong, but I think we're going to see a difinite chilling of relations between us and Russia. A lot of those people in power are still U.S.aphobic and with Putin back in power, we're liable to see a more hardline stance.

December 20, 2011 at 11:57 am | Report abuse |
  7. sidharth shanker Patna Bihar India"Tunna"

Hon.ble vladimir putin ,mikhail mseiahev and all companion member
    wishing you splendid and success throughout your life
    sidharth shanker son of pratibha devi singh Patil

December 31, 2011 at 2:38 am | Report abuse |