Mysterious metal ball from space falls in Namibia
This large metal ball was found in Namibian grasslands in November.
December 22nd, 2011

Mysterious metal ball from space falls in Namibia

A large metal ball that fell from space into the Namibian grasslands last month is not alien, officials say, but that's about all they know for certain about the object.

According to a report on The Namibian website, the 13-pound metal sphere with two bumps on its poles was found by a farmer near Onamatunga in the Omunsati region between November 15 and November 20. Explosions were heard in the area before the discovery, but no evidence of an explosion was seen around the area where the object was found.

Paul Ludik, director of the country's National Forensic Science Institute, told The Namibian the sphere, with a circumference of 3.6 feet, is made of a "sophisticated" metal alloy that is known to man, but he said it has no markings that would identify it. No international space agency has claimed ownership, he said.

“A number of tests have been performed on the object, and it appears to be hollow. We are still busy with a detailed examination of the object,” The Namibian quotes him as saying.

Ludik told The Namibian that the object poses no cause for alarm, and that such reports of metallic spheres falling from space are common in the Southern Hemisphere.

So should we expect a run on helmets at sporting goods stores south of the equator?

Post by:
Filed under: Namibia • Space
  1. leah

welp, looks like a cheap alien woman is missing her implant somewhere in galaxy 9

December 23, 2011 at 12:35 am | Report abuse |
    • KC

Nah, it's just one special buoy looking for that special gull...

December 23, 2011 at 12:47 am | Report abuse |
  2. LOL

Namibia? I forsee another Gods Must Be Crazy sequel in the near future.

December 23, 2011 at 12:35 am | Report abuse |
  3. banasy©

Ah, this whole thread is making me laugh, and I needed it today.

The Rosary Society were having conniptions over the placement of the flowers near the altar, and the altar children are in a tizzy over who gets to serve for Midnight Mass.

Monsiegnor is trying to get some of the hymns changed; the choir has lost two of their top sopranos, and there may be a shortage of wafers.

Christmas is such a busy time, so I'm going to say goodnight; I'm a greeter tomorrow.

Christ has died, Christ has risen, Christ will come again.

December 23, 2011 at 12:37 am | Report abuse |
    • Fr. Seamus (Jim)

Wait! chill out and converse for awhile!

December 23, 2011 at 12:40 am | Report abuse |
    • Rationalist

The what was having what over whom and... who is trying to change what? Sorry, I don't speak gibberish. Would someone translate this please?

December 23, 2011 at 12:46 am | Report abuse |
    • Fr. Seamus (Jim)

@Rationalist
      I've been trolling as one "Fr. Seamus," and bansay busted me royally. I thought maybe if I stuck to my guns he would doubt himself, but it didn't work. He was just rubbing it in before signing off.

December 23, 2011 at 12:50 am | Report abuse |
  4. LOL

I'm ready for christ to rise again, this time. i have my zombie apocalypse response team kit ready.

December 23, 2011 at 12:38 am | Report abuse |
  5. redneckssuck

I'm thinking, Myth Busters are to blame.

December 23, 2011 at 12:38 am | Report abuse |
  6. Fr. Seamus

Are you familiar with my friend, John Corapi? Are you aware of what Satan has done to him?

December 23, 2011 at 12:39 am | Report abuse |
  7. Wade N Ginger N Eastman Georgia

Sounds to me like somebody's trying to keep us in the dark about the "REAL" origin of this Sphere, I have a couple of questions. First( What kind of metal can withstand the Extremely HIGH heat of entering the Earth's Atmosphere? Second of all How did it NOT break into thousands of tiny pieces upon impacting the earth? Obviously it was VERY VERY hot,And even if it didn't break upon impact,It should have at least warped it a bit!!! But this thing is a PERFECT sphere. I think we are purposely being kept in the dark about the real truth regarding this Heavenly Sphere.

December 23, 2011 at 12:40 am | Report abuse |
    • bob

sigh... these spheres are common.. dozens of them have fallen to earth and made their way into hands of private collectors of space memorabilia. they didnt melt coming back through the atmosphere because they are made up of alloys that can survive high temperatures. they didnt deform when they hit because an item falling out of orbit will be slowed by atmospheric friction during re-entry till they are moving at terminal velocity. this is typically in the ballpark of 1 to 200 mph. these tanks are intended to store fuel for satellites are very high pressure, so they are made to be very sturdy. thats why they dont deform.

December 23, 2011 at 12:48 am | Report abuse |
  8. petros

"and that such reports of metallic spheres falling from space are common in the Southern Hemisphere."
    Common..really? Why would this be news then? Snow, rain, sleet, metal spheres from space.... happens everyday.

December 23, 2011 at 12:40 am | Report abuse |
    • lops

I agree, this is weird. This is the is the first time I hear about a ball falling from a space. Usually, there is much excitement about a meteorite but a metal ball, possibly from space? There must be an uproar in the scientific community. I am not sure, the story is almost a hoax.

December 23, 2011 at 12:58 am | Report abuse |
  9. gary

Sorry guys, my bad. That's the last time I'll have Mexican food the night before a transcontinental flight. Oh, and... I wouldn't touch that thing if I were you.

December 23, 2011 at 12:40 am | Report abuse |
  10. Bazoing

It appears to be a rail-gun missile. The launcher probably consists of two long rails and capacitor bank. The pegs on the ends are probably so that it can sit on the rails. And yes, assuming it even reached low orbit, at least some of the surface may have ablated on launch and again on re-entry. It looks like its from weapons research.

December 23, 2011 at 12:40 am | Report abuse |
  11. NudeTruth

Optimus Prime took a dump

December 23, 2011 at 12:43 am | Report abuse |
  12. SKyle

It's hollow, fell from space and didn't end up melted, dented or misshapen? Wonder what it's made from.

December 23, 2011 at 12:44 am | Report abuse |
    • rk

corbomite... (only the super geeks will know what this is)

December 23, 2011 at 12:57 am | Report abuse |
  13. banasy©

Jim, I *knew* it was you, ya little stinker!
    You crack me up endlessly.
    You are one of the best, I'll give you that!

December 23, 2011 at 12:48 am | Report abuse |
    • Fr. Seamus (Jim)

Not tonight I wasn't! You TOTALLY busted me! Oh, well, there's always next time.

December 23, 2011 at 12:52 am | Report abuse |
  14. JDinKC

Looks like an enclosed gyroscope, with the connection points fused, likely from the heat of re-entry. Probably many years old space debris, so old that it was no longer being tracked.

December 23, 2011 at 12:49 am | Report abuse |