Gotta Watch: The year in weddings
Britain's Prince William and his wife Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge, wave to spectators after their wedding.
December 23rd, 2011

Gotta Watch: The year in weddings

From the Prince William to Kim Kardashian, it seemed like weddings made headlines all year. Here are some of our favorite unusual weddings from 2011.

Noble nuptials — This wedding took place in April, but excitement for this event was high from New Year’s Day. Some people in the states hadn’t been this eager for a royal wedding since Prince Charles married Lady Diana Spencer in 1981. Many felt their son William’s wedding to Catherine Middleton lived up to the hype. Take a look back at Catherine’s stunning dress and the iconic balcony kiss.

Dust storm disaster — The weather became the star of this Arizona wedding. A massive dust storm interrupted the service. The bride and groom were good sports, carrying on even as the veil blew away. Watch to see if they made it through the vows.

Starbucks ceremony — This couple loves Starbucks — so much so that they decided to get married there. The staff at this Tulsa, Oklahoma, store comforted the bride while her man was away in the military, so she decided to tie the knot while surrounded by her friends there. Check out the couple that “fell in love over coffee.”

Surprise service — Surprise proposals aren’t too unusual, but a surprise wedding takes it to a whole new level. One boyfriend in Ontario sprung a wedding on his unsuspecting girlfriend. See what you think of the 200-guest ceremony he dubbed “operation white cake.”

Military marriage — This couple wouldn’t let a few thousand miles get in the way of their marriage. A soldier serving in Afghanistan got hitched over speakerphone. Check out the unusual power of attorney they used.

Post by:
Filed under: 2011 Year in Review • Gotta Watch • Kate Middleton • Military • Royal family • Weather
  1. Jennifer

Hello!? What about the wedding that took place in Katz's Deli because of Hurricane Irene?

December 23, 2011 at 10:51 am | Report abuse |
  2. Bitter

I think Catherine Middleton is icky and she has cooties.

December 23, 2011 at 11:21 am | Report abuse |
    • unbitter

Only compared to her sister.

December 23, 2011 at 11:27 am | Report abuse |
  3. Candice

These weddings definately made some great headlines this year. My personal fave: the Starbucks wedding because it was so very unique and unconventional. Brides to be (and grooms to be, in cases such as surprise service) can take some tips from the MBA Bride, http://www.mbabride.com, to make their wedding unique and approach wedding planning in a business savvy way.

December 23, 2011 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
  4. TriXen

I don't even like going to weddings for people who I know... let alone watching or hearing about weddings of people I don't know. It was bad enough hearing every female I know bore me with the details of the royal wedding when it happened... Now we have to recap??? Just shoot me...

December 23, 2011 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Why BotherYouLoser

It's one thing getting upset about listening to people talk about it, but nobody made you click on the link to read this article or on the play buttons to watch recaps of the weddings... so no offense, but you sound pathetic whining about something that you chose to do yourself...

December 24, 2011 at 12:56 am | Report abuse |
  5. Portland tony

Having 'been there and done that' and knowing statistically that half will end in misery (or divorce), I see no reason to show oneself getting legally screwed.

December 23, 2011 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Wedding Coordinator

PRUNES! eating plenty of prunes is the key to the longevity of marriage. serve them to your lover and they will never wander further then the bathroom.

December 23, 2011 at 10:34 pm | Report abuse |
  6. BOMBO

I said this months ago when the Royal Wedding first happened, and got all kinds of angry responses. It was such great fun, I'll say the same thing again. Ahem –

I wouldn't care about these people if I lived next door to them. Why should I care when they are thousands of miles away?

December 23, 2011 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Newlywed Groom

What about my wedding? Everybody raved about how amazing the jalapeno cheese grits were at the reception!

December 23, 2011 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Andreas Moser

I'll never get married, for this simple reason: http://andreasmoser.wordpress.com/2011/03/26/why-dont-you-get-married/

December 23, 2011 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  9. bobcat ( in a hat )

@BOMBO
    They are probably just as glad you live thousands of miles away.
    LOL You know I didn't mean that.
    I just wanted to be first with a snarky remark.
    Merry Christmas my friend.

December 23, 2011 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • BOMBO

You may be kidding, but don't underestimate my power to annoy.

Merry Christmas to you and yours, cat.

December 23, 2011 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
  10. tothestarz

Look! You can see Diana's ghost in that picture! Oooooh! Spoooooooky...!

December 23, 2011 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bootsyfied

At least it wasn't her head rolling down the aisle.

December 23, 2011 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Drew

The CTFxC wedding was better than any of these 😉

December 23, 2011 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
  12. unowhoitsme

Wish all of them would have donated the money they spent in 24 hours to a charity. Very self centered. You can have a nice wedding without spending ungodly amounts of money.

December 23, 2011 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
  13. rooney

I was one of those people looking foward to the royal wedding. I woke up at like 5 in the morning to watch it live on tv. I'm kind of a big British monarchy fan. Queen Victoria is my favorite.

December 24, 2011 at 2:40 am | Report abuse |