Two killed, dozens injured in 40-vehicle wreck in New Orleans
These vehicles were part of the wreck in eastern New Orleans on Thursday morning.
December 29th, 2011

Two killed, dozens injured in 40-vehicle wreck in New Orleans

[Updated at 10:33 a.m. ET] Two people were killed and more than 50 others injured Thursday in a 40-vehicle pileup that shut down Interstate 10 in eastern New Orleans, authorities said.

Both eastbound and westbound lanes were closed following the crashes, which began about 4 a.m. local time (5 a.m. ET), said Garry Flot, New Orleans police spokesman. It was unknown how long the interstate would be closed, he said.

Twenty-two people were transported to hospitals with minor to critical injuries. Another 37 complained of minor injuries at the scene but refused medical care, Flot said.

One firefighter suffered a cut on his face while performing his duties at the scene, Flot said. He was taken to a local hospital for stitches.

WWL: Two killed in I-10 wreck in New Orleans

FULL STORY
Post by: ,
Filed under: Louisiana
  1. Sean

I am very familiar with I10 and feel comfortable in putting some of the reasonability on the state. The amount of traffic traveling this highway far exceed it design specs. It should have been expanded a decade or more ago. That said distracted driving has become a major issue these days. In my opinion texting/talking on your cell phone, slapping your pod in the back seat or otherwise not paying attention should hold penalties equal to drunk driving.

December 29, 2011 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • sarah palin

You would know then that LA repaved I10 about a decade ago, smooth as butter roads.

December 29, 2011 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Patrick

I'd hate to see what you consider butter.

December 29, 2011 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sean

It is anything but smooth. Just one example.

Interstate 10 in both directions: from Exit 27: LA 378 to Exit 29: LA 385; North Lake Shore Drive
      bridge construction, roadway reduced to one lane
      Comment: I-10 Eastbound and Westbound at the Calcasieu River Bridge is scheduled to be reduced to one lane until further notice.

last updated December 27

December 29, 2011 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nicole

I agree with you 100%! There are way too many people doing all kinds of things while driving. Once, I actually passed a girl who was applying eye liner with a pencil while doing 70mph...it's crazy!

December 29, 2011 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • joey

another misinformed sarah palin, go figure !

December 29, 2011 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
  2. NOLADRIVER

This accident is about 4 miles away from where I am sitting at my desk. Folks, I have traveled all over the United States and Canada and believe me it is not just the drivers in New Orleans East or Louisiana that are absolutely insane. It is everywhere....

December 29, 2011 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • cope

You are absolutely correct, we have more than our fair share of poor drivers in Houston! I am quite sure that many of them do not have drivers' licenses.

December 29, 2011 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
  3. MKULTRA BRAINCHIPMAN

MILLIONS TO BE ASSASSINATED FOR THE SAKE OF $$$ LIABILITIES(mk-ultra, chip implants, electroshocks etc. performed on them) AND NEW WORLD ORDER(multiculturalism = terrorism) POLITICAL AGENDA KNOWN AS "YOU ARE NEXT"(financial liabilities are 2 expensive for the government and it is cheaper to get read of you instead) !!! IF YOU WERE TREATED WITH ELECTROSHOCKS OR DRUGS USED FOR WIPING OUT MEMORY(numerous Americans and Europeans were and are) AFTER ENDURING FORCED CHIP IMPLANTS(or to simply retard individual), NOT THAT CHANCES ARE, BUT YOU ARE SCHEDULED AT 100% RATE AS GOOD TO GO NEXT !!!

NOW YOU KNOW WHAT UNITED STATES CONGRESS(USSR#2) IS SOOO BUSY WITH WHEN PLAYING(acting) IN FRONT OF CAMERAS WHERE CLOWNING(only) HOW SOMETHING HAVE TO BE DONE WHILE KNOWINGLY OMITTING AND IGNORING FACTS OF GENOCIDE AS SEEN ON THIS COMPLAIN !!!

LEARN TRUTH ABOUT UNITED NATIONS, AMNESTY INTERNATIONAL AS WELL AS NEW WORLD ORDER(MULTICULTURALISM = TERRORISM) GOVERNMENTS(Equal Employment Opportunity Commission) !!! NOT THERE TO PROTECT YOUR RIGHTS, BUT TO DENY YOUR RIGHT TO EXISTENCE !!!

ABDUCTIONS / BRAIN CHIP IMPLANTS / BLACKLISTING / FORCEFUL UNEMPLOYMENT / MK-ULTRA BRAINWASHING AGAINST WHITE(under "NAZI" lie) CIVILIAN POPULATION TODAY IN 2011/2012 ACROSS THE EUROPE AND NORTHERN AMERICA !!!

WHY TO ACCEPT LIABILITIES FOR CRIMES COMMITTED WHEN WE CAN SIMPLY ASSASSINATE OUR VICTIMS(YOU) THANKS TO HUMAN RIGHTS ORGANIZATIONS AND FREE PRESS/MEDIA(most severe censorship of genocide ever !!!)!!

This news is related to WHITES AREN’T WELCOME IN AMERICA ANY LONGER !!! OUT OF AMERICA WITH WHITES NOW !!!

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xGfYOAydjw&w=640&h=390]
    OR
    http://www.youtube.com/user/BostjanAvsec <== OBAMA'S HEALTH CARE RECORDED LIVE IN 2009 !!! These are hard facts about lunatic Obama/Bush's twilight zone administrations(HORROR) or genocide against whites per ZIONIST Washington DC and in complete agreement with communist Moscow !!!

EXILING WHITES WITH EXTREME PREJUDICE AND IMPORTING NON WHITES IMMIGRATION REQUIREMENTS COMPLETELY FREE

December 29, 2011 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Michael

Swamp gas. Must be the swamp gas.

December 29, 2011 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Playjojo

Yikes!

December 29, 2011 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joe

Is this the what caused the pile up?

December 29, 2011 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tom Williams

You need to get back on yours Meds and if you are still on them, you need to increase the dosage quite a bit.

December 29, 2011 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  4. sarah palin

What happens see is the swamp prespires fog in the morning from rassling all them frogs and gators in the night. What we need is swamp anti-presperant like they have over in Saudi Ariabia swamps.

December 29, 2011 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joe

Sarah, is there swamp gas in Alaska? Cause that would explain alot.

December 29, 2011 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
  5. NoDoubt

New Orleans needs more lanes of traffic, but the city is built around the Mississippi river and is so clausterphobic I don't know how they would really expand.

December 29, 2011 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Freaking Tailgaters

We need legislation whereby habitual tailgaters are medicated, or something. Tailgating is resposible for about 70% of all traffic injuries. As if being right on that guy's ass will get you there faster. Get a clue or get medicated. Something.

December 29, 2011 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Richard

I live in Florida and ride a motorcycle, and I can tell you horror stories about the drivers here.
      Too many young kids thinking it's their right to drive – and have never been taught proper responsibility about driving. They zip in and out of traffic at high speeds, and I've seen several accidents because of this.
      I have tailgaters (of all ages) up my tailpipes. I actually got into an argument with one guy yelling that he was a good driver. I told him that a bike can stop pretty fast and if I had to slam on my breaks, he would be hitting me and probably killing me.
      Too many people texting and talking on the phone, feeling they are safe drivers and know what they are doing. Wonder how many feel that way after they maim/kill someone?

December 29, 2011 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Freaking Tailgaters

This was one accident with forty taigaters shoved-up each others asses.

December 29, 2011 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Richard

Reality check for all the "SOMEONE HAS TO BE BLAMED"
      Blame the drivers
      Bottom line –
      If there is smoke/fog or a lot of traffic – BACK THE "F" OFFFFFFFF THE OTHER DRIVER
      It is not brain surgery!

December 29, 2011 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • sarah palin

As a brain surgeon, I assure you, it's one doctor behind another, all poking and prodding at the brain of the patient, each eager to be a savior.

December 29, 2011 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Guest

The fog was very very thick in N.O this morning.

December 29, 2011 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Miss Piggy

The frog was very thick in my _______ this morning.

December 29, 2011 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Freaking Tailgaters

"The persons fault" LMAO. Every single person who was following too closely should be charged with vehicular manslaughter. Something.

December 29, 2011 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Vote "yes" on prop. 187b

Mandantory meds for habitual tailgaters. Slow 'em down with some Seroquel. Maybe a shot or two of Abilify daily. Something.

December 29, 2011 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
  11. boss

ok let's just face it, people in Louisiana just don't know how to drive

December 29, 2011 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • LA Belle

It's all the people that get stoned first thing in the morning and during the day that get on the roads and think they can fly. Don't live mad because you have to go to work, just clean up your act before you kill innocent people.

December 29, 2011 at 5:46 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Byron

This stretch of highway has recently been re-done. Great job on it. Early reports state that fog is/was a factor! That is not the case! New Orleans has FAILED to completely extinguish a MARSH fire that has been burning since late spring/ early summer! The city attempted to extinguish this fire prior to Tropical Storm Lee, of to no avail (as the city officials believed that the storm would extinguish the fire). Therefore, nearly a year later, the fire in the marsh continues to burn. I drive through there every day and drive through the smoke, and yes, sometimes there can be fog in there with it, however, when there is a lot of smoke, it is dense to say the least. It all depends on the wind direction. Therefore, I would say that the city of New Orleans bears a part of responsibility for this!

December 29, 2011 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • KittyKatastrophik

They can't extinguish it because it is underground (don't ask me the physics behind it because honestly, I don't know). I don't think there is much else to do about it unfortunately. The combination of the fog & the smoke made this horrible pileup happen. But what else can the city do?

December 29, 2011 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • LA Belle

Could it be BP oil that was in the Gulf and Marshland that's causing the fire to burn with no end. Some clean-up job they did; and don't think BP cares about any of this.

December 29, 2011 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
  13. boss

I'm surprize they aint blame it on obama

December 29, 2011 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
  14. regnarg

I miss you sarah p

December 29, 2011 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
  15. RedDogAB

Just be thankful they don't have snow down there.

December 29, 2011 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |