Body found is suspect in Mount Rainier shooting, police say
Police confirmed Monday that a body found in the snow is Benjamin Colton Barnes, the suspect in two shootings in Washington.
January 2nd, 2012

Body found is suspect in Mount Rainier shooting, police say

[6:28 p.m. ET]:  National park officials said Monday afternoon that the man found dead in Mount Rainier National Park is Benjamin Colton Barnes, the man suspected of shooting and killing park ranger Margaret Anderson the previous day.

Washington authorities had said there was a strong probability that a male body found in the snow Monday is the person of interest wanted in the shooting death of a Mount Rainier National Park ranger, a law enforcement official told CNN.

Detective Ed Troyer with the Pierce County, Washington, Sheriff's office said it would take several hours before authorities could confirm the identification.

The discovery came after a manhunt in snow-covered and wooded terrain for the man, whom authorities had sought for questioning in the fatal New Year's Day shooting of park ranger Margaret Anderson.

The bloodshed began with what the spokesman called "a normal traffic stop" around 10:30 a.m. PT (1:30 p.m. ET) Sunday. But the suspect didn't heed a request to pull over, prompting a ranger to radio ahead requesting assistance.

Anderson, 34, responded to that call and set up her patrol vehicle as a roadblock.

"When he (the shooter) arrived at that spot, he got out (of his car) and fatally shot her," said Mount Rainier National Park spokeswoman Lee Taylor.

The suspect then ran into the spacious national park, whose border is about 50 miles southeast of Seattle. The park - the centerpiece being the 14,410-foot Mount Rainier, which is considered an active volcano - comprises 235,625 acres in the Cascade Range.

The man was also wanted in connection with a shooting Sunday in the Seattle suburb of Skyway that left four people wounded, CNN affiliates reported, citing the King County Sheriff's Department.

Read the complete story on CNN.com

Post by:
Filed under: Crime • U.S.
  1. rooney

Tragic, I feel sorry for everyone involved in and affected by this.

January 3, 2012 at 2:27 am | Report abuse |
  2. Froggy

When i saw the topic for this on the front page I thought it said "Park ranger killed, suspected dead."

January 3, 2012 at 3:04 am | Report abuse |
  3. tim

Why is it that everyone assumes the killer( who I am not defending) was some special forces super military type. The article states at the end he was in communications. Maybe what we have is a disturbed individual who by coincidence was in the Army. Please don't assume that every combat vet comes home a crazed killed just waiting to buy a gun and kill someone. I am a three tour vet who doesn't suffer from any extreme form of PTSD, and I am in the Infantry and was exposed to direct combat in both Iraq and Afghanistan, I have no desire to kill anyone and I obey the laws of this country. If you can read this article and come to this many conclusions your obviously far to intelligent to be in a forum like this.

January 3, 2012 at 5:32 am | Report abuse |
    • John

The majority of readers I expect do not assume that someone going to a war zone, would automatically kill when they get back from it. It's clear that random people snap at any time, for example the woman that stabbed her ex boyfriend 27 times after shooting him in the face last month. I don't recall anything about her being in the service in the news reports... another senseless random killing, though at the time, it probably made sense to her.

January 3, 2012 at 7:36 am | Report abuse |
  4. Mike Smike

He died like the insane dog he was. I can only get satisfaction that he is being torn piece by piece by satans demons and his organs will be devoured in a 1000 year period.

January 3, 2012 at 8:19 am | Report abuse |
    • Bill

And here I was thinking holy s- I hope Margaret's family is able to pull through. I wish I could cook dinner for them or something.

Truly a wonderful religion you have there.

January 3, 2012 at 11:36 am | Report abuse |
  5. josh

Tim, that is because anyone in the Army, who has been to jump school, runs around saying that they are "SF". I am pretty sure that I have never met an Army bubba who wasn't "SF". I am assuming that the civilians running around the planet have heard the same "SF" jibber jabber. I think it is a bit self induced and then gets coupled with the fact that civilians do not have a clue about the military. Not even a little one.

January 3, 2012 at 8:44 am | Report abuse |
  6. Fortunes Smileyface

Am I ever glad I am not religious and your churchmate. Even as an atheist, I am not sad to see this guy get what he deserves. Your comments show the cruelty of your religious thought pattern and are not helpful to anyone. That, and no amount of hocus pocus magical pennance is going to make anything any better. Dead is dead...he's gone and out of the gene pool. Good enough.

January 3, 2012 at 9:22 am | Report abuse |
  7. ace

PTSD written all over this.

January 3, 2012 at 9:24 am | Report abuse |
  8. Jose

Military pigs. They're all murderers and rapists.

January 3, 2012 at 9:25 am | Report abuse |