January 9th, 2012
05:28 AM ET

Carbon monoxide leak sends 39 to hospital

A carbon monoxide leak at the Merchant Marine Academy sent 39 people to area hospitals for evaluation early Monday morning, police said.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: New York
soundoff (21 Responses)
  1. Joe

    What the hell is the Merchant Marine Academy, and why has no one ever heard of it before?

    January 9, 2012 at 6:24 am | Report abuse |
    • paul

      kings point, new york

      January 9, 2012 at 6:28 am | Report abuse |
    • 112321

      Who is "no one"? I know what it is.

      January 9, 2012 at 7:57 am | Report abuse |
    • Joe1

      Because you are not too smart

      January 9, 2012 at 8:39 am | Report abuse |
    • Marshall Tucker

      Most of us have heard of it before, you appear to be the only one without knowledge of it.

      January 9, 2012 at 8:53 am | Report abuse |
    • nomorebeer

      I thought everybody that gets in a boat knows..... http://usmma.edu/

      January 9, 2012 at 9:40 am | Report abuse |
    • J LTC

      My son attends the academy so I guess someone has heard of it.

      January 9, 2012 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |
  2. kude

    Love all the info we gained from this story. I'm so happy to see the wonderful job CNN writers are doing.

    January 9, 2012 at 6:58 am | Report abuse |
    • Billy Joel

      Clicking that "full story" link is hard, right?

      January 9, 2012 at 8:50 am | Report abuse |
  3. Saoirse

    Wow, I hope they're all okay.

    @Joe: People have heard of it. The United States Merchant Marine Academy, or USMMA, is a U.S. service academy in charge of training officers for the United States Merchant Marines, branches of the military, or the transportation industry. And like paul said, it's in Kings Point, NY.

    January 9, 2012 at 7:22 am | Report abuse |
  4. Meki60

    better get Gore on the phone and have him rush to the scene to broker some carbon credits to fix this. I know that CO is not the same as CO2 but, Gore can fake it.

    January 9, 2012 at 7:30 am | Report abuse |
  5. cameasiwas

    Kude-its called a breaking story buddy. I'm sure that's all the information they can confirm right now. Why don't you think for a second before you speak. Please?

    January 9, 2012 at 7:38 am | Report abuse |
  6. Jay Noyd

    Monoxide poisoning is serious. My sister fell ill after following a diesel truck exiting down an enclosed parking garage. Several doctors could not diagnose. Also a story told to me by an ex patriot in The Hague was that the couples son had collapsed in the shower due to improper combustion of the tank less hot water heater in the bathroom. He had complained to the landlord before. His second dose left him a vegetable for life. Again the doctors were slow. Diagnosis can be difficult relative to the exposure.

    January 9, 2012 at 8:08 am | Report abuse |
  7. MIchael Cristoforo

    I have patents pending on a CO detector that can shut down generators, furnaces, cars keyed or even Keyless and open up a garage door automatically. Our patents even include putting a sensor in a TV or Computer so that even when off and plugged in can turn non and tell the occupants Carbon Monoxide, Move to safety. We have been trying to sell the patents for over a year now, no one is ready to take corporate responsibility to save lives , and help people from being injured from this very deadly gas. any one interested can contact me at customauto1154@gmail.com

    January 9, 2012 at 8:31 am | Report abuse |
  8. MIchael Cristoforo

    also our patents include sending a signal to a satellite system such as "on Star" in which the CO detector can communicate
    through the cars satellite provider and they can notify the home occupants that there has been a CO intrusion and their car has been shut down and their garage door is now open.

    January 9, 2012 at 8:36 am | Report abuse |
  9. banasy©

    Serious stuff.
    I hope they're okay.

    January 9, 2012 at 9:14 am | Report abuse |
  10. banasy©

    Hmmmmm......

    January 9, 2012 at 9:18 am | Report abuse |
  11. badone

    i dnt know who u are that said u hav a patent pending. but u just gav out enough info to lose ur idea. never disclose in an open forum.

    January 9, 2012 at 10:09 am | Report abuse |
  12. chrissy

    Well i hope there are no lasting affects on these people and am glad they survived! Carbon monoxide most times is deadly but when not can cause medical problems for life. And @ MIchael Cristoforo, good job and hoping you get those on the market!

    January 9, 2012 at 10:09 am | Report abuse |
  13. chrissy

    @ badone, once you have applied for the patent that pretty much safeguards your idea doesnt it? At least i would hope so, though i may be wrong.

    January 9, 2012 at 10:51 am | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

      You'e correct, chrissy. Even if badone went to the patent office tomorrow with the same idea, it would be granted to the person who had the application first.

      January 9, 2012 at 11:43 am | Report abuse |