Leopard released into reserve after killing one, injuring two
A leopard attacks a man in the Indian city of Guwanhati on Saturday.
January 9th, 2012

Leopard released into reserve after killing one, injuring two

A leopard whose urban-area attack led to the death of one man and injuries to two others was released in an Indian nature reserve on Monday, two days after the incident.

Officials from the Assam State Zoo in Guwanhati, where the attacks occurred, set the cat free in in a tiger reserve in Manas, according to an Agence-France Presse report in the Hindustan Times.

Three men were attacked on Saturday when the cat wandered in to a residential area of Guwanhati, a city of almost 1 million people in northeast India.

The dead man was Debo Kumar Das, an attorney who was doing carpentry work in his house when he was attacked, according to a report in The Times of India.

"The leopard clawed him, wounding his head. Das received stitches on his head at a hospital and returned home in the evening. When we went to check on his health in the morning, we found him dead. There were blood stains everywhere in the room," the Times quoted a neighbor as saying.

One of the leopard's victims, Pintu Dey, told AFP from his hospital bed that he was injured as he tried to protect the cat from police who had come to kill it.

"My two children were inside the house and so I went to save them when I found some policemen aiming to shoot the leopard," AFP quoted him as saying. "I pleaded against killing the cat and literally stood between the policemen and the leopard like a shield, and all of a sudden I found myself attacked and blood splattered all over."

The attack on Dey was captured on photographs.

The cat was later tranquilized and taken to the local zoo.

Surajit Dutta, director of the Kaziranga National Park, told The Telegraph of Calcutta, that a large crowd that came to look at the leopard worsened the situation.

“You traumatize an animal like this and it will attack. You let it pass, while informing us, and it normally will. We can then get the situation under control as our people are trained to do this,” he said.

More attacks by leopards on humans can be expected as populations grow and move into lands where the animals hunt, Dutta told The Telegraph.

“Leopards may even like city life given the ready access to chicken, dogs, cats and other pets in human habitation. Unlike tigers, they take easily to disturbed habitats. Unlike the tiger, which prefers thick forests, solitude and privacy, thereby staying elusive, the leopard takes easily to scrubland, which Guwahati creates as its ever-growing population tears into its forest cover. Guwahati’s forests and scrubland are full of leopards,” Dutta is quoted as saying.

Post by:
Filed under: Animals • India • Leopards
  1. Haley Barbour

I hereby pardon this leopard. Set it free in the nature preserve.

January 9, 2012 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • magnus

most people will pardon the leopard.

January 9, 2012 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
  2. BOMBO ©

This is the weirdest story of 2012 so far.

January 9, 2012 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Natasha

This is really sad! One of these guys was only trying to help the leopard from getting killed when he was attacked ! Its so crazy, stop taking away animals homes. If humans weren't moving in on them then maybe this wouldn't have happened.

January 9, 2012 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Webster's Dictionary

If you need the definition of DUMB-ASS, see Pintu Dey, paragraphs 6 and 7 above. Someone who deserved to die due to pure stupidity.

January 9, 2012 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Natasha

Maybe people shouldn't try to take over everything and leave the animals alone in there own space.!!

January 9, 2012 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
  6. banasy©

That cat looks pist!

January 9, 2012 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Darwin Award Committee

Close Pintu Dey, but not quite. Maybe next year.

January 9, 2012 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Puma

I don't understand how a wild leopard could be set loose into a big population. Why would the guy just take a picture? Is there a person going to be punished since a person was killed and people were injured. An animal will always have its wild instincts, never should it be set free in a large city. I don't think leopards could ever be a part of human society, if so it would take a long time, the wild animals would just cause havoc.

January 9, 2012 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nikki

Okay...read the article again and re-think what you just wrote. First, the Leopard was not released in the city. It WANDERED. Meaning it found it's way from where it was hanging out into the city. It was later RELEASED into a cat sanctuary. You seriously think they would release a Leopard in the city? Second, what human are you expecting to be punished for this? First of all, it was no humans fault that the cat was there. It is a shame that humans over populate and encroach on animal habitat, but there isn't much that can be done about this unless they introduce human hunting. The man who was attacked trying to protect the Leopard is responsible for his own fate. He was the idiot that stood with his back to a Leopard. He lives there for Pete's sake and should know better. I live in a U.S. city and would NEVER mess with a Leopard. Even I know they are not human shy and would not think twice about attacking a human. I would have pleaded from behind my closed door for the police not to shoot it. I think the first step to controling human population is not allowing you to bread.

January 9, 2012 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nikki

ooops! I meant breed. I am a pregnant woman and constantly thinking about food!

January 9, 2012 at 5:35 pm | Report abuse |
  9. BOMBO ©

My two kids are inside, there is a leopard outside who has already killed someone, and cops with guns. Sure, I'll go right outside and protect the leopard. Cut this guy's head off, and check his brain for serious anomalies.

January 9, 2012 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
  10. BOMBO ©

As further proof this guy is not quite right, check the picture. The cat is clawing at his package, and he's got both his hands up to protect his face.

January 9, 2012 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
  11. banasy©

BOMBO ©:

You seriously have me LMAO today.
    You are on a roll!

January 9, 2012 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
  12. magnus

wow, to think that the guy who died went to the hospital, received treatment, was released back to his house, who later died from the attack. the morale of the story is don't get sick in India.

January 9, 2012 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

You know, I thought the same thing.
      I was thinking "Whaaaaaaat"?

January 9, 2012 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Saoirse

@BOMBO© 1:31pm: I agree. Crazy story!

January 9, 2012 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Joey Isotta-Fraschini ©™

Why would a leopard want to hurt a man who has occupied (!) its territory, especially when the leopard could snack on a tasty, bite-sized chicken instead of a whole man.
    From the first sentence of this article, you know what's going to happen.
    It's like seeing Vladimir Horowitz walk onto a stage and sit down at the piano.

January 9, 2012 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
  15. banasy©

@JIF:
    What would Sheryl say?

I caught the (!) reference...
    Cute.