Odds are Tebow will have us talking for another week
Fans congratulate Broncos quarterback Tim Tebow as he heads to the locker room after Sunday's playoff win over Pittsburgh.
January 9th, 2012

Odds are Tebow will have us talking for another week

Some say Denver Broncos quarterback Tim Tebow pulled off another miracle Sunday night, leading his team to a 29-23 overtime victory over the heavily favored Pittsburgh Steelers. They say "another miracle" because it was the fourth time this season Tebow led Denver to an overtime victory. And they say Tebow, a devout Christian, may need an even bigger miracle come Saturday in Foxboro, Massachusetts, where the New England Patriots will be an even bigger favorite to end the Broncos season than the Steelers were.

The Boston Herald on Monday morning is calling Saturday's game "a heaven-sent matchup," and the paper says that because it knows quarterback Tom Brady has made a career of taking the Pats to the promised land while Tebow has just gone through his first communion.

"The Patriots get a second helping of the Tom Brady-versus-Tebow quarterback matchup," writes the Herald's Karen Guregian.

"While this has tremendous star power, it’s just so lopsided in the Patriots' favor. That’s what we saw during the first meeting on Dec. 18, when Brady and the Pats whipped the Broncos, 41-23, in Denver. There’s no reason to believe Brady won’t outduel him once again."

Leave it to a "Saturday Night Live" skit to put Brady's advantage into perspective. "If I'm the son of God, Brady's the guy's nephew," a Jesus Christ character tells the Broncos during a visit to their locker room before that December 18 game.

But others say Tebow has already put himself on the Olympus of sports greatness.

"He isn't in the same class as an athlete, but as a spectacle Tebow is Tiger Woods leading the Masters on Sunday afternoon. He's Michael Jordan in the NBA Finals. He's the Yankees in the World Series," writes Gregg Doyel on CBSSports.com. "What's the NFL comparison to Tebow? There isn't one."

And Doyel points out that Tebow's fame, like those others, now knows no borders on this Earth.

"Tebow was a trending Twitter topic on Sunday evening, and not just in the United States. He was trending all over the world - in Canada, in Colombia, in France," Doyel writes.

While others may put Tebow on that lofty post, he seems to be the last one to put himself there.

Part of the reason Denver was such an underdog against the Steelers was that the Broncos lost their last three regular season games, with Tebow posting numbers well short of the biblical 316 yards he put up against the Steelers.

FOXSports.com's Mark Kriegel, writing under the headline "Tebow's most amazing trait? Humility,"  says that Tebow was entitled to a little trash talk directed toward his doubters.

"If anyone was entitled to a self-righteous 'I told you so,' it was Tebow. Instead, he said: 'I’m just blessed to have an opportunity to be the quarterback for the Denver Broncos and play in a game in front of such great fans and with great teammates,' ” Kriegel wrote.

Watch Tebow speak about humility on CBN.com.

And Kriegel's not shy about speaking up for Tebow.

"Being neither as good nor as modest as America’s saintly quarterback, I don’t mind telling you a bit: I told you so," Kriegel wrote.

While Kriegel may have never lost the faith in Tebow, the late-season losing streak certainly turned hordes of others into doubters.

San Franciso Chronicle writer Vittorio Tafur says it's time to come back to the temple.

"It's time to believe again. In Tebow. (And) in the Big Fella in the Sky being a Broncos fan," Tafur writes.

Here's how God, or Tebow, or both, or a Pittsburgh Steelers defensive mistake (you choose), have us talking Tebow this Monday morning.

On the first play from scrimmage in overtime, Tebow heaved a pass 18 yards to receiver Demaryius Thomas, who stiff-armed Steelers cornerback Ike Taylor and sprinted down the right sideline for an 80-yard touchdown.

The Broncos led 20-6 at halftime, but the Steelers - led by quarterback Ben Roethlisberger's 289 yards passing - clawed their way back to tie the game at 23 with time running down in regulation. Neither team could get close enough for a winning field goal, and the contest moved into overtime.

The league instituted complicated new overtime rules for the playoffs, but the rule differences never came into play as Tebow and Thomas wrapped it up in 11 seconds - the shortest overtime in NFL history. The referee's explanation of the rules before the coin toss took up more time than the extra period.

The Broncos faithful in Denver were rewarded.

Is Tebow a miracle worker?

Of course, in Vegas the oddsmakers put their faith in numbers. And on the Strip, they like the Patriots this coming Saturday, by 14 points.

To which the Chronicle's Tafur responds with some numbers of his own.

"Apparently the Big Guy in the Sky likes all underdogs. For that, you could turn to Matthew 5:5: 'Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth.'"

Post by:
Filed under: Football • Pro football • Sports • Tim Tebow
  1. Puma

Billy, I'm going to have to agree with your sarcasm on this one. Why should you switch someone out when they are making things happen? I love that Tebow is doing so well. Everybody doubted him when he came out as a rookie. They really doubted him after his upset against the Bill where he threw back-to-back interceptions. This was his fourth time getting a victory in overtime for Tebow, I think he is going to keep doing good.

January 9, 2012 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Joey Isotta-Fraschini ©™

Two persons who understand PR really well are Tebow and Justin Bieber, who recently had an image of Jesus tattooed onto his leg.

January 9, 2012 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
  3. billy

What are you talking about?! that is just ridiculous

January 9, 2012 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Maria

Whta is the problem with Tebow thanking God for his games? why it bother people? it not bother me a bit! he likes to thank his God and it not matter it, is not one business! When they took the praying from schools what they have now? they brought guns and now they kill each other I am not a religious fanatic but is better see a peaceaful action than acts of violence ! I love what he is doing maybe because inside of me I thanks my God everyday for everything! AMEN!

January 9, 2012 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Oh NOOO , another 316 verses, ehmm yards

Maria, will you be ok with players yelling "Allah uh akbar" when they score? Or Hawaiian players doing a war dance in honor of their pacific gods? (wait, that would be taunting), or the Vikings praise Wotan with meed and tossing some dwards when they score? Not that they haven't much lately. How about praise to African nativist gods (slaughter a chicken? ) from some of the African players in the NFL? [tongue and cheek here, smile]

99.9% of players don't display personal beliefs, so why should a few be allowed and make a nuisance of themselves?

January 9, 2012 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • TheMovieFan

Tebow doesn't bother me. The kooky way people act concerning him is more annoying than hearing "What about Ron Paul?"

January 9, 2012 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
  5. stanly

tebow is going to be a big let down when it comes to playing the patriots they are better experienced and tebow has just been getting lucky.

January 9, 2012 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
  6. stanly

just kidding i am dumb

January 9, 2012 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
  7. wordster

you know what has me talking about all of this? the stupidity of media that reports his success as a result of his relationship with god. craptacular you wouldnt hear word one about his faith if it wasnt christian...so freaking tired of christians

January 9, 2012 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Oh NOOO , another 316 verses, ehmm yards

"Broncos closed out the 2008 regular season by losing their third consecutive game, .. fell to the San Diego Chargers, 52–21, .. loss kept the Broncos out of the playoffs for the third straight season. Cutler went 33-of-49 with 316 yards".

How can god be so biased? Scores of QBs have thrown for 3-1-6 yards/ verses (google "quarterback and yards and 316) and LOST. Was the game rigged? Or was it a feisty determined receiver who ran for almost 80 yards (no biblical reference here) despite heavy defense?

January 9, 2012 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Malclm Xcremnt

Actually, the receiver in question was born on Christmas Day. For those of you who are militant Atheists, Christmas is NOT Santa's birthday. It is the birthday of our Lord, Jesus Christ.

January 9, 2012 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Oh NOOO , another 316 verses, ehmm yards

And your point Malcontent? Is 12:24 of some meaning too? Like 24 passes attempted, only 12 completed?
      I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy. Amen, Allah uh akbar, praise the cookie monster, Wotan rocks.

January 9, 2012 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • TheMovieFan

Christmas is Santa's birthday? I have never heard that one before.

January 9, 2012 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Maria

Why showing respect to your religion it afects the people?let it be! he is not promoting any faith he is not telling us to be Christians or so on,he is a good kid let it BE! this is a free Country freedom of religion I believe it!

January 9, 2012 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Mary Davis

When anyone praises God, showers of blessing are given to that person. God does not forget those who praise him. Prayer
    is a blessing to all who believe. Tebow shows a great faith for God and God will bless him many times over because of his
    strong faith. Tebow is a good role model for anyone to see.

January 9, 2012 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Ed Sr of Dallas Tx

Response to "TheD" and his "message board" routine! Yeah....and I state it all over CNN....I would like to shout it in both the ears of Bush Jr and Obama....loud and clear....you are both a couple of RATS and FAILURES and you both owe the American people! Smoke that one, buster!

January 9, 2012 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Joey Isotta-Fraschini ©™

Genesis 3:16.
    Wonderful.

January 9, 2012 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Dave

While we're talking about the Book of Matthew, how about 6:5?

"And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward."

Something for Tebow to think about, maybe.

January 9, 2012 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Oh NOOO , another 316 verses, ehmm yards

6:5? is that the score prediction for tonight ? LSU vs Alabama? Oh boy, another lame game. Grinning ear to ear.

January 9, 2012 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jaime

That's my favorite! I absolutely love it, and believe in it more than I believe anything in the Bible. I repeat it in my head every time I see someone doing a "victory lap" for God or making a scene. "When thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou has shut thy door, pray to the Father, which is in secret. And the Father which seeth in secret, shall reward thee openly." Keep it to yourself and take comfort in your own faith.

January 9, 2012 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Lynda

Hi Luke,
    I think you're missing my point. I am simply saying that if you choose to live your life as a Christian, then you will come to understand that God cares about everything you care about. I'm sorry you doubt that God exists. I promise you, He does because I have a personal relationship with him. I pray to him daily. I also worship and praise him daily, because I am in relationship with him. Just as if you were in a relatinship with someone, you would spend time with them daily. I am also sorry, it seems you may of had some not so good experiences with Christians. Just like there are good and bad people, there are good and bad Christians, just look at the history of the Pharasee's. But please don't let your not so good relationships with Christians, turn you away from all Christians, no more than you would turn your back on your friends or family members who hurt you. You would forgive them, and try again. We all make mistakes, and as for me, that's specificially why I need a savior, for without him, Lord knows what kind of person I would be.

January 9, 2012 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mandy

I can only hope that without Him you would still be a decent human being, as so many others are. But everyone believes what they will believe.

January 9, 2012 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
  15. wordster

if he were a devout muslim i highly doubt the christians in this country would see him as a good role model...puhleez. such hyprocrates...

January 9, 2012 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bill

Why must you generalize so much to try to make a point? Some Christians would see him as a good role model, some wouldn't. You can't just lump all people of any group into a category based solely on your perceptions.

January 10, 2012 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |