Odds are Tebow will have us talking for another week
Fans congratulate Broncos quarterback Tim Tebow as he heads to the locker room after Sunday's playoff win over Pittsburgh.
January 9th, 2012

Odds are Tebow will have us talking for another week

Some say Denver Broncos quarterback Tim Tebow pulled off another miracle Sunday night, leading his team to a 29-23 overtime victory over the heavily favored Pittsburgh Steelers. They say "another miracle" because it was the fourth time this season Tebow led Denver to an overtime victory. And they say Tebow, a devout Christian, may need an even bigger miracle come Saturday in Foxboro, Massachusetts, where the New England Patriots will be an even bigger favorite to end the Broncos season than the Steelers were.

The Boston Herald on Monday morning is calling Saturday's game "a heaven-sent matchup," and the paper says that because it knows quarterback Tom Brady has made a career of taking the Pats to the promised land while Tebow has just gone through his first communion.

"The Patriots get a second helping of the Tom Brady-versus-Tebow quarterback matchup," writes the Herald's Karen Guregian.

"While this has tremendous star power, it’s just so lopsided in the Patriots' favor. That’s what we saw during the first meeting on Dec. 18, when Brady and the Pats whipped the Broncos, 41-23, in Denver. There’s no reason to believe Brady won’t outduel him once again."

Leave it to a "Saturday Night Live" skit to put Brady's advantage into perspective. "If I'm the son of God, Brady's the guy's nephew," a Jesus Christ character tells the Broncos during a visit to their locker room before that December 18 game.

But others say Tebow has already put himself on the Olympus of sports greatness.

"He isn't in the same class as an athlete, but as a spectacle Tebow is Tiger Woods leading the Masters on Sunday afternoon. He's Michael Jordan in the NBA Finals. He's the Yankees in the World Series," writes Gregg Doyel on CBSSports.com. "What's the NFL comparison to Tebow? There isn't one."

And Doyel points out that Tebow's fame, like those others, now knows no borders on this Earth.

"Tebow was a trending Twitter topic on Sunday evening, and not just in the United States. He was trending all over the world - in Canada, in Colombia, in France," Doyel writes.

While others may put Tebow on that lofty post, he seems to be the last one to put himself there.

Part of the reason Denver was such an underdog against the Steelers was that the Broncos lost their last three regular season games, with Tebow posting numbers well short of the biblical 316 yards he put up against the Steelers.

FOXSports.com's Mark Kriegel, writing under the headline "Tebow's most amazing trait? Humility,"  says that Tebow was entitled to a little trash talk directed toward his doubters.

"If anyone was entitled to a self-righteous 'I told you so,' it was Tebow. Instead, he said: 'I’m just blessed to have an opportunity to be the quarterback for the Denver Broncos and play in a game in front of such great fans and with great teammates,' ” Kriegel wrote.

Watch Tebow speak about humility on CBN.com.

And Kriegel's not shy about speaking up for Tebow.

"Being neither as good nor as modest as America’s saintly quarterback, I don’t mind telling you a bit: I told you so," Kriegel wrote.

While Kriegel may have never lost the faith in Tebow, the late-season losing streak certainly turned hordes of others into doubters.

San Franciso Chronicle writer Vittorio Tafur says it's time to come back to the temple.

"It's time to believe again. In Tebow. (And) in the Big Fella in the Sky being a Broncos fan," Tafur writes.

Here's how God, or Tebow, or both, or a Pittsburgh Steelers defensive mistake (you choose), have us talking Tebow this Monday morning.

On the first play from scrimmage in overtime, Tebow heaved a pass 18 yards to receiver Demaryius Thomas, who stiff-armed Steelers cornerback Ike Taylor and sprinted down the right sideline for an 80-yard touchdown.

The Broncos led 20-6 at halftime, but the Steelers - led by quarterback Ben Roethlisberger's 289 yards passing - clawed their way back to tie the game at 23 with time running down in regulation. Neither team could get close enough for a winning field goal, and the contest moved into overtime.

The league instituted complicated new overtime rules for the playoffs, but the rule differences never came into play as Tebow and Thomas wrapped it up in 11 seconds - the shortest overtime in NFL history. The referee's explanation of the rules before the coin toss took up more time than the extra period.

The Broncos faithful in Denver were rewarded.

Is Tebow a miracle worker?

Of course, in Vegas the oddsmakers put their faith in numbers. And on the Strip, they like the Patriots this coming Saturday, by 14 points.

To which the Chronicle's Tafur responds with some numbers of his own.

"Apparently the Big Guy in the Sky likes all underdogs. For that, you could turn to Matthew 5:5: 'Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth.'"

Post by:
Filed under: Football • Pro football • Sports • Tim Tebow
  1. Frank Hansen (Canada)

Tebow has put Jesus first and as he moved his way up to be Quarterback for the Broncos. Against all odds is not what drives him, to listen to the media critics talking about his unstabil throw, his ability as a quarterback. You know its better to be a man of few words and have the one strength that is His own.

January 9, 2012 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Burbank

Really sick of hearing about this guy every time I turn around. I feel spammed! Let's move on to something else...

January 9, 2012 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
  3. hecep

So, when other quarterbacks don't get the job done, can we attribute that to God too?

January 9, 2012 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • mjsopnmnd

He is only giving thanks to God, what can't you understand about that, duh.... You must be a nonbeliever and that your right but do not critize him for his faith. His right just like you have your right to believe what you want. Maybe you should live where people cannot openly profess their faith in God in this country we can thank god, we are not opressed would that make you feel better.

January 9, 2012 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
  4. GeorgeBos95

God helps us win ... right. Maybe, if Tebow has such an in with the "almighty", he could get him to focus on real issues in the world ... like poverty, sickness, and hunger.

To believe any God would be wasting his attention on a football game is just a silly notion.

January 9, 2012 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bamabred

It's up to each of us to bring God into our lives. God knows of the poverty, sickness, and hunger. All of those situations are a product of our choices. The best gift we were ever given was our freewill. Tebow is using his freewill to bring God into his situations (regardless of how trivial they may seem to you, sir) and is getting exactly the results faith brings. It's not God that brought all of the bad into the world. It was us. Just as it is up to us to bring Him into every situation we face and make the right decisions with His help in order to make things better. This isn't Heaven. This is our testing ground. In Heaven... none of those things will exist. But, unfortunately, we have brought them to this plane of existence. I pray, Mr. George, for all of us. We don't need Jesus because we're saints, but because we're rotten. I hope I don't seem to be coming off to "high and mighty," as I definitely am far from that. Just trying to shed some light on different points of view. *smiling and much love to ya!*

January 9, 2012 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • GPerform

Us Christians believe that anyone can be a vessel for the workings of the Lord. I wouldn't say that God is "wasting attention on a football game" but Tim Tebow can very well be a testiment of faith sent by God. Just a thought, I mean putting up 316 passing yards? Thats pretty biblical if you asked me

January 9, 2012 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • John Smith..

You are missing the point..You are talking about something that is not usually a part of sports. That's all.

January 9, 2012 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jeffe65

I think you missed the point – God isn't concerned with football games, he's concerned with us, and how we conduct ourselves. Is Tebow doing enough for the poor, the troubled, etc.? In truth, none of us are. But you won't do them – or yourself – any favors by bashing someone for their faith.

January 9, 2012 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
  5. GatorDude

As an agnostic Gator who has followed Tim Tebow for a long time, I can assure you that he is the real deal. His parents were missionaries in the Philippines and he has a long record of faith backed by good works and deeds on and off the field. While he does use his fame to spread his faith, I don't believe this is any self-serving publicity stunt on his part. It is fun to watch his development as a pro athlete and I wish him the best.

January 9, 2012 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Not All Docs Play Golf

Would American football fans see it as so inspiring and heartwarming if a player in the end zone after a touchdown gestured his thanks to Buddha, and would they rush to defent this open exhibition of his faith? I'm just asking.

January 9, 2012 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  7. JamesT

The guy is a caricature.

January 9, 2012 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  8. savedMD

I could see if he was self-promoting but he's not. i could see if he said that God helps him win, but he doesn't. I could see if he talked about himself, no the media (and online forums) do that for him. People are intimidated by a Christ follower who lives what they believe with humility, and integrity, period. If he were part of another religion, this would NOT be an issue. Atl east now people are talking about Christ, who knows where the convos may go...

January 9, 2012 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  9. John

All hail tebow the great christian, how long before he's caught fiddling kids like all the other great christians? string 'em all up

January 9, 2012 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  10. banasy©

Especiall lovely is the photo showing him with his toungue hanging out.

January 9, 2012 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Suliwen

If Tebow were a Jew or Muslim it would be taboo for anyone to say anything derrogatory about him. But since he a Christian that opens the door to anything. Why is it that liberals feel that everyone's feelings should be protected except for those of devout Christians? We have to bow down to all sorts of rubbish and cannot simply accept that a man like Tim Tebow lives his life with a dedication to something he feels strongly about. Can't the press just accept this and move on? Why do they feel compelled to attack this man becasue of his faith?

January 9, 2012 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  12. stta

This Tim Tebow and what I started thinking was in your face religion annoyed me for some time and clouded my opinion to a place I am not comfortable. I have no problem with anyone believing in any faith and respect all being it is what it is, something your taught and believe it is true. Tim is seems talented and sincere. Looking at all the self worshiping athletes am starting to like Tim just for the fact he appears to be a team player. I may disagree when an athlete thinks God or Jesus takes a stake in a game which allows them to win but it doesn't take away how they play on the field. I myself used to pray before football games in high school but only prayed that everyone on both teams came out healthy afterwards but not for an outcome in my favor. It was the way I was taught to practice my faith. I am almost on the the bandwagon hoping Tim does learn and improve to become a top quarterback if anything just to add a civilized role model into the sports arena.

January 9, 2012 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
  13. yannaes

Not bad for a young man of whom has stuck by his belief in spite of the sarcasm, and rhetoric, he holds true to himself.
    At least he believes in something greater than himself, which lends to humility, I think.

January 9, 2012 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Chris

I have to honestly say that growing up I hated Tim Tebow because he destroyed my beloved Buckeye's. I thought his whole 'Christian Good Boy' image was a gimmick and that he did it just to be popular, or to be someone special. Well, Tim I say this to you.

I do not practice any religion because I feel all religions are one in the same that have been distorted over the years of humanity. I do believe in a supreme being (God in Christianity, etc) and I no longer think of you as some 'Good Boy' fraud. If I were Christian I would say this, "People didn't believe Jesus at first and though he was a mislead person (he had to die to prove other wise)." I hope you beat Tom Brady and the Patriots. My hatred for you was based on team pride never personal attacks. I have seen so many discount you (including myself) but I honestly must say I am a believer in Tim Tebow now. Keep doing what you do Tim and do not let anyone stop you or tell you otherwise.

January 9, 2012 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • croman

Hats off to you Chris. Not to many fans of opposing teams, especially Buckeye fans, would say what you have said about Tebow. It goes to show you that he is truly a good person and not some athlete seeking fame and fortune.

January 9, 2012 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Kevin

Say what you want about the kid, you can't argue with success. As a player he may no have the most graceful throwing motion( that's me being kind ) and he may seem to get away with a lot of throws he shouldn't throw,but for whatever reason it's working and in the NFL, people don't care so much about "WHY" something is working as long as it is.

January 9, 2012 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |