Police: Shoe only clue to teacher who went missing after run
Sidney, Montana, residents have created a Find Sherry Arnold page on Facebook to coordinate searches for the teacher.
January 9th, 2012

Police: Shoe only clue to teacher who went missing after run

Police and residents are combing through the town of Sidney, Montana, in hopes of finding a teacher who went missing after going for a morning run, leaving behind no trace besides a lone shoe, the city's police chief told CNN.

Schoolteacher Sherry Arnold, 43, left her home Saturday morning for a run along her normal path, but she never returned, Sidney police Chief Frank DiFonzo said.

DiFonzo said that teams have been searching areas around the eastern Montana town since Arnold's disappearance using dogs and aircraft. He said the National Guard was also assisting.

Police described Arnold as 5 feet, 10 inches and 140 pounds with black hair. She was last seen wearing a blue sweatshirt with a white stripe and red nylon pants with black leggings.

Police are looking into different scenarios regarding Arnold's disappearance, but they believe she may have been abducted or possibly hit by a vehicle, DiFonzo said.

"Everything's accounted for, her personal things, her vehicle is accounted for," Bob Burnison, the assistant police chief, told CNN affiliate KRTV-TV in Great Falls. "We just feel that there's something drastic, either happened to her or something to that effect, why she wouldn't have made contact back."

The police chief said there was no evidence the shoe remained behind after an animal attack, one scenario that residents had been floating.

Christine Mullen, 26, a CNN iReport contributor, said that she went to the site of one of the searches, where thousands turned up to help.

"We've got horses going out and ATVs and people just going out on their own," Mullen told CNN. "There's a lot of pasture, dirt roads and farmland to cover."

Mullen said she doesn't know Arnold but she feels the impact of her disappearance.

"In this community when something like this happens, it's not just a small thing where a few people are involved," Mullen said, adding that some employers are even allowing people to leave work to take part in the search. "Everybody is involved."

Mullen's iReport about Arnold attracted strong response from readers, including pleas from residents to help search and bring the teacher's disappearance to light.

Facebook group: Help find Sherry Arnold

"We're such a small community, and crime is absolutely unheard of," Mullen said. "We don't lock our car doors. (We're) completely shocked."

Police said they will continue to search for clues.

"We're going to keep going until we can get some answers here," Burnison told KRTV. "We just want to find her, you know. Our hope is she's OK."

1. Problem Solver

You guys shouldnt use this website at all if all your going to talk about is which one of you is an idiot and even if in chicago a person is lost every thirty minutes you should not say that Sherrys dissapearence doesnt count i know lots of people get lost in the world and i hope they get back safely but you should imagine the pain the Arnolds family is enduring right now so lets just keep our hopes and pray she returns safely so there town and her family does not suffer Sherry hope you come home.

January 10, 2012 at 9:30 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Packers and Yankees Rule

These first two sentences are Amanda on the first comment. I believe that you have a completely wrong idea about city people. I live near the city and so many people are compassionate towards me each day. I am praying this teacher is found.

January 10, 2012 at 9:39 pm | Report abuse |
  3. RG

Unfortunately I'm in Illinois, else, I would have surely gone out and helped find her. Dear God, please give wisdom and peace to Sherry's family and search team, and guide them so that they find her ASAP. I pray in the name of my Lord and Savior – Jesus Christ. Amen.

January 10, 2012 at 9:52 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Problem Solver

you guys please stop posting these ignorant comments like shes a goner and all that crap you guys need to learn to be positive and hope she is safe SHERRY IF YOUR OUT THERE NEVER GIVE UP KEEP TRYING AAND PLEASE RETURN HOME WE ALL MISS YOU!

January 10, 2012 at 10:12 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Problem Solver

you guys please stop posting these ignorant comments like shes a goner and all that crap Sherry i am confident in my
    self that you are returning home. SHERRY IF YOUR OUT THERE NEVER GIVE UP KEEP TRYING AAND PLEASE RETURN HOME WE ALL MISS YOU!

January 10, 2012 at 10:14 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Problem Solver

sorry about that last comment i accidentely posted both

January 10, 2012 at 10:15 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Problem Solver

but really im dont want to call the guys jerks out there who posted the iggnorant comments just remember that people out there care and love and also dislike Sherry but those who do still hope so dont post comments that are unhelpful and just plain mean because there are peolpe who still strongly believe that Sherrys coming home so if you dont have anything postive to say about her than dont post it. This should be a lesson learned for you people out there!

January 10, 2012 at 10:26 pm | Report abuse |
  8. battergrl

Praying for her safe return to friends and family. The world is much different/evil. Even if you live in a small community lock your doors/windows. Don't be naïve and think it CAN'T happen there. As long as we live on earth, NO community will ever be safe!!!

January 11, 2012 at 12:07 am | Report abuse |
  9. battergrl

Still amazed at "surprise" of ppl that think their neighborhoods are immune. Wake up ppl!! City ppl are NO less caring/united when someone goes missing. Some small town ppl need to experience other areas "outside of the box", that's why the warped opinions and untruths of those in large cities.

January 11, 2012 at 12:14 am | Report abuse |
  10. Hello

hindsight is 20/20.. but no woman, no matter where she is at or age should be out in an isolated area alone. She is just asking for trouble. There are just too many crazy people out there to grab you.. Don't make yourself an easy target for them.
    HINT: got to run.. buy a treadmill... and be safe and LIVE.

The chances of her being found alive is very very slim....sorry to say that but it is true. as a 40 yr old adult and not a small child who can be easier to control like Jaycee.. she will not be allowed to leave...and her safe return is unlikely...
    she may try to escape, but the person or persons who took her are well aware they do not want a witness.
    The best thing is to NOT put yourself in dangerous situations...just don't be stupid.
    I see women, especially young ones out running even in the dark by themselves.. it makes me shudder, as I live in a place that has a very high traffic are of out of town people from a major highway. There are weird people from all over in this small town. You just do not assuming your are safe...because you are in a small town.
    know a female who goes out running by herself... talk to her.. buy her a treadmill... etc.

January 11, 2012 at 12:35 am | Report abuse |
  11. 4~real

I think the members of Sherry's community need to admit that she was abducted. A responsible good woman like this would not walk off on her husband,students,and friends. The faster you are able to accept the reality that she was abducted, the faster you will be able to start looking for her captor and bring her home. The reality is no where is it safe on this earth, this can happen any where.. big city or a small rural community such as Sidney. Everyone arguing in here back and forth on the subject is not helping. I pray she is found unharmed and that she is brought home.

January 11, 2012 at 12:40 am | Report abuse |
  12. sad

Im pretty sure if a four legged animal was involved in Sherrys disappearance there would be more evidence than a shoe! She was a fit person and I"m sure would have put up a fight if she could have. If she was running off I'm sure she would have left more than a shoe behind. I"ve lived in northeastern Montana all my life and have ran out in the country for miles and have only seen deer and birds. She was on the outskirts of town. It seems to me a surprise attack from a two legged animal is more likely. I have never meet Sherry, but am so worried. I have her flier under my pillow and when I fall asleep I will be thinking of her, and when I awake I will do the same. With all this said I hope that all this turns out to be is a woman needing a break, and shes safe a well.

January 11, 2012 at 12:56 am | Report abuse |
  13. yannaes

Stranded in a McDonald's in no where land and lost her cell phone as well.

January 11, 2012 at 2:34 am | Report abuse |
  14. Nancy

Searching for a missing person, in any type of terrain is difficult. people in general are creatures of habit. if she walks/runs that area everyday, then she knows her surroundings. i pray she is ok,....

January 11, 2012 at 5:57 am | Report abuse |
  15. MTgirl

To all out there that gave there support, thoughts, and prayers thankyou! To all you f****** Idiots! Come to Montana I dare you, We will show you a f****** rodeo. You disgust me.

January 13, 2012 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |