Tebow's passing yards bring up biblical number
Tim Tebow celebrates as he walks off the field after his Florida Gators won the BCS National Championship game on January 8, 2009. In the black below Tebow's eyes, John 3:16.
January 9th, 2012

Tebow's passing yards bring up biblical number

Early Monday morning, the top item on Google Trends hot searches is John 3 16, the passage from the bible that reads:

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life."

The number two and three searched terms on Google? Tebow and Tim Tebow.

It's surely all coincidence, but how many yards did Tebow throw for as he led the Denver Broncos to a 29-23 overtime win over the Pittsburgh Steelers in the NFL's divisional playoffs on Sunday night?

Answer: 316.

And what did Tebow have on his eye black as he led the Florida Gators to victory in the 2009 national championship game three years ago to the day of his performance in Denver Sunday night?

Answer: John 3:16.

And while were looking at numbers, let's look at dates, like December 25, the birth date of Jesus Christ and the man who caught Tebow's overtime pass and scored the winning touchdown Sunday night, 24-year-old Broncos wide receiver Demaryius Thomas.

In the next round of the NFL playoffs, Tebow, Thomas and their Broncos travel to New England to face the Patriots, a team that dominated them in Denver late in the regular season. The Patriots figure to be even bigger favorites than the Steelers were to defeat the Broncos Sunday night.

But don't count out Tim Tebow to produce some amazing numbers of his own.

Check out Time.com's gallery of John 3:16 in popular culture, including Tebow as a Florida Gator.

Post by:
Filed under: Football • Pro football • Sports • Tim Tebow
  1. CNN Reader

“There is enough light for those who only desire to see, and enough obscurity for those who have a contrary disposition”
    ― Blaise Pascal

January 9, 2012 at 11:09 am | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Rich B

Yesss! Jesus is watching the NFL and pulling for the Broncos! I wonder who he likes for the NBA? The Kentucky Derby? I'm going to pray that he reveals his "picks" to me and then I'm heading for Vegas, baby!

January 9, 2012 at 11:11 am | Report abuse | Reply
  3. mouse

I know what you are trying to say.....I agree this is a good young man but all the "he's gods chosen" is silly. You know it and I know it. He's got some talent, he practiced daily to hone that talent and now he's using that talent to win some games. That is all and that is it.

January 9, 2012 at 11:14 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • croman

He is a great young man and that is the point I was getting across religion aside.

January 9, 2012 at 11:16 am | Report abuse |
    • Dean

I haven't heard Tebow say once that is 'God's chosen'. He has faith in his God, period.

January 9, 2012 at 11:30 am | Report abuse |
  4. mouse

agreed then.

January 9, 2012 at 11:18 am | Report abuse | Reply
  5. CNN Reader

Each and any story such as this elicits so many passionate replies from nonbelievers because, deep down, they ask themselves, "what if I am wrong in my assumptions?" Of course, this is a question that real believers ask also. But it's one that believers, unlike nonbelievers, are resigned to face up.

January 9, 2012 at 11:18 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • derp

Blah blah, we are not afraid and we don't ask stupid questions of ourselves. We just think it absurd that you jesustards believe a magic sky wizard controls the outcomes of football games.

I guess jesus told the safety to jump up in the play and get completely out of position?

Cookoo for cocoa puffs!!!

January 9, 2012 at 11:27 am | Report abuse |
    • CNN Reader

"The unexamined life is not worth living" - Socrates

January 9, 2012 at 11:49 am | Report abuse |
    • derp

Socrates was firm in his belief that he actually knew nothing, and there were no absolute truths (unlike christians).

And he was executed for impiety.

Nice try though.

January 9, 2012 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Debo

It looks to me that all credit is given to God, through Tebow. Have you noticed that his receiver was "D. Thomas". Ever Look up origin of "doubting Thomas"? God is in the HOUSE! and no one can deny it,

January 9, 2012 at 11:20 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Antony

I didn't know the Broncos had a receiver with the first name of "Doubting"?

January 9, 2012 at 11:34 am | Report abuse |
    • Jennifer

denied.

January 9, 2012 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
  7. mouse

You are wrong CNN Reader...you have absolutely NO IDEA what I ask myself so please don't speak for me!

How do you answer the young cancer patient sitting at MD Anderson racked with illness......god is watching tebow this sunday so he doesn't have time to heal you???

January 9, 2012 at 11:20 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • derp

It's all part of gods plan. People need to die miserable deaths from horrible diseases so that Tim T. can win a playoff game.

Don't you dare question the plan.....heathen!

January 9, 2012 at 11:29 am | Report abuse |
  8. banasy©

It is not up to any one person to tell another what or who to be passionate about.
    One is not qualified to tell another what, "deep down", they feel.
    Remember what they say about people who assume.
    We will all find out one day.

The play in OT was amazing, but not miraculous.

January 9, 2012 at 11:24 am | Report abuse | Reply
  9. bobcat (in a hat)©

Man, it's just got to be that Tebow is the second coming. I mean just look at the numbes. 316 OMG it's a sign from god. There is no way this could be a coincidence. It's got tomean something more. After all, what was it Tebow had on his eyeblack when they won the 2009 championship ? That's right, John 3:16. How could this possibly be a coincidence !?

January 9, 2012 at 11:26 am | Report abuse | Reply
  10. banasy©

The reason stories like these illicit such responses is because neither believers or non-believers wish unwanted views shoved down each others throats.
    Nothing more, nothing less.

January 9, 2012 at 11:27 am | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Dobber

Not only that but his yards per completion were 31.6 and Denver's time of possession was 31:06. Someone also told me denvers avg. yards per game this season were 316 but I wasn't able to verify that.

January 9, 2012 at 11:29 am | Report abuse | Reply
  12. banasy©

I live at 316 St. John's Lane.
    Coincidence.......?

January 9, 2012 at 11:29 am | Report abuse | Reply
  13. mouse

LOL....bobcat.....it's like every afternoon when I start to wish I were sitting at home and I look at the clock every now and then it says it's 3:14 pm.....funny, cuz my b-day is 3-14. When it happens I always think, this must be my lucky day.......hehehehe

January 9, 2012 at 11:31 am | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Joey Isotta-Fraschini ©™

To me, the important message is this:
    3+1+6=10
    "Go the whole ten yards."
    I think that's from Psalms, isn't it?
    Or Proverbs...

January 9, 2012 at 11:33 am | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Paul

Whatever ! Great game ! Go Tebow; but Brady will shut down the Bronco's........

January 9, 2012 at 11:34 am | Report abuse | Reply