January 10th, 2012

Pittsburgh's mayor 'Tebows' in defeat

Pittsburgh's mayor knelt down in defeat on Tuesday, donning a Denver Broncos No. 15 jersey and "Tebowing" in front of the Steel City's skyline to pay off a bet he made with the mayor of Denver over the Steelers-Broncos playoff game.

Mayor Luke Ravenstahl's Steelers lost as Denver quarterback Tim Tebow (No. 15) threw an 80-yard touchdown pass on the first play of overtime for a 29-23 victory Sunday.

Tebow's gesture of kneeling in prayer after great plays has become a national phenomenon, but for Ravenstahl it wasn't a craze he wanted a part of.

"This is not something I ever thought I'd have to do, and it certainly wasn't something I was looking forward to," Ravenstahl said. "However, we're good sports here in Pittsburgh, and I want to congratulate Denver on a great win."

If Denver had lost, Mayor Michael Hancock had pledged to wear a Steelers jersey and wave a "terrible towel," SBNation Pittsburgh reported.

Tebow posts biblical passing number

Odds are Tebow will have us talking

1. amazed @ the duplicitousness

Imbecile is a perfect name for someone who doesnt read or understand a question.... LOL

I am not "one of you guys all in a tizzy", I am not a Denver fan or realigious nut. I just happen to stuble across this article and in reading the comments I see rip in to T.T. for praying (or insult the Pitt mayor. I personally could care less if he prays or not.

I also actually agree with you....why does the Media harp on TT doing it? Why not when others do? I keep asking that and get no answer. You refer to the media "gushing" over him as if it is a positive..... I actually think it is a backhanded way of insulting him....

January 10, 2012 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Imbecile

Did you really "LOL" for real after typing that?

Also, your question should have been much clearer that you were referring to the media and not the people criticizing the media. I understood your question just fine. You just didn't ask a very clear one.

January 10, 2012 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jim in Georgia

I think of the late George Carlin who said about players who do that... Who do they blame when they drop the pass?

January 10, 2012 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Jason

One thing I never understood is the NFL's policy on celebration. According to the rules, no player can fall to their knees to celebrate otherwise its a penalty for unsportsman like conduct. So why is it that Tebow is allowed to fall to his knees without being penalized? Several times he's ran to the endzone his team has scored in and then "Tebowed"

January 10, 2012 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • tired of al

To Jason...the NFL "excessive celebration" rules do not say that at all. Get your facts straight.

January 10, 2012 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • yeti37

I've only see him do it a few times, but I noticed that he didn't do it in the endzone (when i saw it at least), it was on the sidelines off the field of play. Therefore, it was the media following him off the field making it a big deal. Granted, he did get down on one knew AFTER the game on Sunday in the endzone.

I see athlete do the sign of the cross all the time before stepping to the plate, or in the endzone. Why is him praying on the sidelines warrant such reactions? I'd rather see him do that, than some of the crappy celebrations I've seen.

January 10, 2012 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Denverite

He never does it in the EndZone. He runs to the endzone, flexes is biceps until they almost explode, and then does it on the sidelines. I hate mis-informed haters.

January 10, 2012 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • TRB

As was stated, he never uses it as a celebration. He only does it on the sidelines or after a game because he is truly thankful. He usually just flexes as was stated. You are correct about the dropping to your knee rule but I believe thats for Defensive players. For offensive players however you cannot go to the ground either in some cases ... ask Bills WR whose name escapes me. But yea the rule is inconsisten, Jared Allen celebrates on his knee all the time and when the lions sacked Tebow they Tebowed ... this scenario doesn't matter because the game was over however.

January 10, 2012 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
  3. JOE

My favorite sporting event in America is the collegiate basketball tournament because its very exciting with its playoff system. And when you add a few cindereller teams, its even more exciting to see them upset the top ranked teams. I remember little George Mason defying the odds and making it all the way to the Final Four a few years ago. And one of the most exciting things I find about the NCAA tournament is you also get a little lesson in American geography when little schools put their unknown or never heard of towns on the map. And of course the tears of joy and defeat is also moving whichever way you look at it. But what is the problem with college football? I didn't even bother to watch Alabama and LSU last night because I believe college football is becoming more and more boring without a playoff system. I understan #1 Alabama shutout #2 LSU last night. But who is to say that a Division II schoool couldn't have at least score a field goal in this game? Perhaps if we had a Tim tebow in every BCS Championship game, we wouldn't need a playoff system because it would be exciting just watching him work his magic. But boy, wouldn't a "January Madness" in college football be something to see?

January 10, 2012 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
  4. skeptic

What I don't understand, is why do some players drop to their knee and "thank god" when something good happens, but don't drop to their knee and "blame god" when something goes terribly wrong?
    If he controls the outcome for your wins – doesn't he control the outcome for your losses?

January 10, 2012 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jamie

Answer that yourself.

January 10, 2012 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sinister

Yep, they give credit to their 'god' for all the good things and blame the 'devil' for all the bad. You can do that when you believe in fantasy instead of reality.

January 10, 2012 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • ensense

You are the prime example of people blaming god for their loss, who says they don't

January 10, 2012 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jeff

You forget about free will and a fallen world, so no, God is not the consequence of bad/evil. Now to your other point, some thank God for the good things in their life, some thank God for all things, both good and bad, in their lives, and others don't thank God at all. Why take offense at any one of the three?

January 10, 2012 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Believer

Skeptic, you will never understand things that weren't taught to you. People like you who do not have any personal experiences with God, His touching and healing power ought not to lose hope. God's dominion is encompassing all things good and bad. When someone like Tim Tebow believes in Him completely and manifests that in any way, that is good. God sees what is in our hearts. Grace, like miracles is the domain of God, it's not up to you or me to decide when it will happen. He alone decides on that. The bottom line is, if you don't believe in God or in His miracles, I respect you for that. As for me, I will never cease praying for proud but perhaps a lost soul like you.

January 10, 2012 at 7:24 pm | Report abuse |
  5. a. miya

It's not only Rappers Thanks God for their winnings...I hear baseball players, basketball players, boxers & even actors. So let's move on....after all it's a freedom of religion. Anyone crtizies T.T. should look @ themselves because if it wasn't for the MAN upstairs we all won't be here. So STOP all your whinning. Sounds like a two year throwing a tantrum that your team didn't get in. Let's go DENVER.

January 10, 2012 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sinister

There is no 'man upstairs'... you people keep confusing fantasy with reality.

January 10, 2012 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ken

We're all here because of nature not some mythical being. God is merely a placeholder for all that we don't understand yet about the universe. At one time God's will determined who lived or died with a bacterial infection but then science brought us anti-biotics. Hmmm, I guess God's will wasn't really the decider of who lived or died back then but ignorance determined that it was.

January 10, 2012 at 5:40 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Mr.Man

I dislike Denver a lot but this was good clean fun. You have to love that bet and give the guy credit for "paying" up.

January 10, 2012 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Denverite

High five to you and your ability to properly "hate" on another team. This country lacks sportsmanship

January 10, 2012 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Clint04 Wa.

Big Ben has struck good-night, oooop's mid-night.

January 10, 2012 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
  8. TheButcher

Owned.

January 10, 2012 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Jeff

Sad, as it appears that some here dislike Tebow becasue they dislike his faith, or perhaps any faith at all. Thanking God for all things, big and small, important and trivial, good and bad, shows the utmost in humility. But of course, by expressing your hate, you show that you lack understanding of this.

January 10, 2012 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sinister

No, it shows the utmost in willful ignorance.

January 10, 2012 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Terrell

Jeff,

Your ignorant.

January 10, 2012 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • AW

Terrell,

"Your/you're". Learn the difference before criticizing.

January 10, 2012 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • ensense

They all hate tebow because he is a walking reminder to them that their position on abortion is wrong. so they find other ways to vilify him by putting him down for his beliefs nothing else.

January 10, 2012 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • mdubbs

But allowing people to believe in what they want without being mocked or ridiculed is not allowed in this country. It's either my way, or the highway. You don't have to agree with his religion, or how he shows it, he can do whatever the hell he wants really. Plus, he makes more money in one year than most of you ever will in your entire lives. Jealousy runs really deep among the internet tough guys here in this thread.

January 10, 2012 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ken

Humility is a good thing but it does not require the existence of a mythical being.

January 10, 2012 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse |
  10. jausti

Didn't watch the game, but heard that if Tebow had played during the rest of it, this overtime wouldn't have been necessary. I say if someone scores they have a much right to dance about as he does to do this.

January 10, 2012 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • yeti37

Wow! You heard wrong and you clearly didn't see the game. I'm a lifelong Steelers fan and Teebow came out slinging the ball and hitting recievers. The Steelers played for the running game forcing him to throw and he beat them. He played a full four quarters of good football and not just the fourth like he is criticized for. Now I'm forced to root for the team that knocked my team out. bummer....

January 10, 2012 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ken

If you had watched the game you would have seen a lateral fumbled away to the Broncos that was incorrectly called an incomplete pass. That would have stopped the Steelers first touchdown drive in the second half. That call correctly made would have meant the Broncos winning in regulation time.

January 10, 2012 at 5:45 pm | Report abuse |
  11. CaringFool

At least I didn't have to watch 'tbow' in the BCS game.

January 10, 2012 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
  12. oldman100

phuck your god

January 10, 2012 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Shawn

I could care less about Tebow's religion. I am just astonished of how much recognition he gets vs the team around him. His stats are horrible. He completed less than 50% of his passes against the steelers and there was zero pressure on him, Pitts D was terrible that game. Most of the big plays were yards after the catch, so as much if not more credit goes to the receivers. If he is still winning in the NFL in five years I will be impressed. Until then he is mediocre at best.

January 10, 2012 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Jean

Tebow's gesture is not a 'national phenomenon' with everyone.....

January 10, 2012 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Denverite

Numbers are numbers, sorry you are a minority

January 10, 2012 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jean

Denverite:

At least I am not a mindless sheeple.

January 11, 2012 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Jackie

Although the picture brings sadness to my life I have to say whoever the photographer is did an AMAZING job!!!

January 10, 2012 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |