January 10th, 2012

Pittsburgh's mayor 'Tebows' in defeat

Pittsburgh's mayor knelt down in defeat on Tuesday, donning a Denver Broncos No. 15 jersey and "Tebowing" in front of the Steel City's skyline to pay off a bet he made with the mayor of Denver over the Steelers-Broncos playoff game.

Mayor Luke Ravenstahl's Steelers lost as Denver quarterback Tim Tebow (No. 15) threw an 80-yard touchdown pass on the first play of overtime for a 29-23 victory Sunday.

Tebow's gesture of kneeling in prayer after great plays has become a national phenomenon, but for Ravenstahl it wasn't a craze he wanted a part of.

"This is not something I ever thought I'd have to do, and it certainly wasn't something I was looking forward to," Ravenstahl said. "However, we're good sports here in Pittsburgh, and I want to congratulate Denver on a great win."

If Denver had lost, Mayor Michael Hancock had pledged to wear a Steelers jersey and wave a "terrible towel," SBNation Pittsburgh reported.

Tebow posts biblical passing number

Odds are Tebow will have us talking

1. keef

wow...idk which would be more humiliating. "TEBOWing" or waiving that ridiculous towel around like the idiots do.

January 10, 2012 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Corey

Keef, I don't know if you've noticed, but every team has one of those "ridiculous towels," now.

I don't know if you watched the Steelers/Broncos game, but I saw a sea of orange towels being spun; I also see this in many other games.

Anyway, anything that contributes to a charitable cause (the towel, look it up) isn't ridiculous in my book.

January 10, 2012 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • keef

no....it's ridiculous. And the problem with the Frontrunning Steelers fans and their towels, is that they are even flooding the away games. How many of those morons are from Pittsburgh???????

January 10, 2012 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kelly

Whatever Keef...you realize how many people you are calling idiots and morons?! My husband, my 18 month old...my 3 6 & 7 year old too...they all wave the Terrible Towel. It's all in good fun! Also, it's AWESOME that Steelers fans flood the away games.. Steelers fans are nationwide! i moved to Pittsburgh 4 years ago, and I love it here!

January 10, 2012 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Mike R

The problem with the libtards that frequent this site is they are some of the most EXCLUSIVE folks in this country. While I don't subscribe to a religion, someone enjoying thier doesn't bother me in the least.

January 10, 2012 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jeff

Agree with you Mike, and I would add to your description of "exclusive" both "arrogant" and "elitist" as well. They are offended by Tebow's humble show of faith, I and others are offended by their obnoxious criticism, and thus, the world goes around. Isn't it a liberal creed to "live and let live"? Surprising that they themselves can't abide by that.

January 10, 2012 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Reality

Yeah this story is about some good old-fashioned fun between a couple Mayors. It has nothing to do with your narrow-minded, political partisan crap.

January 10, 2012 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bill

What really grinds my gears is generalizations about liberals or conservatives or whatever group. This plays right into our political system, and our news outlets, especially Fox News and MSNBC. The art of truly understanding and compromising is a lost one.

January 10, 2012 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • JohnM

How very ungraciously repugnut of you to say so.

January 10, 2012 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Bradley

What would the Denver mayor have had to do if the Broncos lost? s e * u a l l y a s s a u l t a drunk girl in a bathroom?

January 10, 2012 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  4. dallas123

So, he's the only QB who prays!!! what about rest of Broncos team!!, what is wrong with the media?

January 10, 2012 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ben

What's wrong with Matthew 6:1-6?

January 10, 2012 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Ed

A bunch of dumb idiots.

January 10, 2012 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bill

Dumb idiots are technically smart, given your double negative.

January 10, 2012 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
  6. person

Speaking as someone who doesn't care one iota about sport, this is hysterical.

January 10, 2012 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cate

Speaking as someone who lives in Pittsburgh, I can't belive Luke Ravenstahl is wasting his time on this. There are bigger problems facing this city right now. He is the worst mayor. He almost lost his re-election bid while running unopposed. He's a joke.

January 10, 2012 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Reality

Yes, the Mayor should -never- take a few moments out of a day to honor his own word in good faith and have a little fun for a minute or two. The Mayor should just spend 24/7 worrying about every single little problem. Get real.

January 10, 2012 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
  7. GrumpyKat

Why is it okay to make fun of Christians who believe? If a Muslim had knelt and offered a prayer to Mecca and someone had called it Meccaing or some such, the world would be screaming racism and intolerance. Not to mention that some countries would put a price on the head of the person who coined the phrase.

January 10, 2012 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jeff

Christ Himself indicated that the world would be so. If they mocked and scorned Him, they will most assuredly mock and scorn us. Even more, they revel in it. Such is arrogance, ignorance, and pride.

January 10, 2012 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Meccaing

Except it's not Christianing, or anything. It's Tebowing, based on what Tim TEBOW does, not what Christians do. So if a Muslim Football player was as popular as Tebow, prayed like Tebow, only towards Mecca and in the Muslim form, and had a fan base as large as his, he'd most likely have his own immitators, as well.

January 10, 2012 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
  8. JustinH

Ha Ha, what a good sport.

A friendly wager and some hometown pride is what sports should be all about.

January 10, 2012 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joker

Exactly Justin, this is a friendly wager. People on here need to lighten up.

January 10, 2012 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
  9. DEBBIE BRINKLEY

The word says that evry knee must bow n every tongue must confess Jesus as Lord. America we need 2 get back to the word this country was founded On. In God We Trust

January 10, 2012 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brian

No thanks. I like progress and critical thinking very much, thank you.

January 10, 2012 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Founded on Freedom

Please learn what this Country was ACTUALLY founded on. Freedom and Equality for all, seperation of church and state and many other things. "IN GOD WE TRUST" is just a saying on the back of the American Dollar which wasn't introduced until later into the Country's lifespan.

January 10, 2012 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Jim Crow

Nothing to do with the Almighty God, this is sports

January 10, 2012 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Antwoine in Atlanta

Had to stop and think about this one for a minute.... This Mayor is "tebowing" not to give thanks to the creator, not ask the lord for strength or even pray for poor folk suffering in Pittsburg..... but because he lost a bet. wow. People play with the wrong thing...... this is so far off the spiritual radar that I am having trouble getting my own bearings.

January 10, 2012 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Brian

Someone raised a good point... What if it was a Muslim player that after every great play of his would kneel down facing mecca and do a full prayer session? People would be screaming bloody murder.

January 10, 2012 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • tony

no, you reiterated an ignorant point

January 10, 2012 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jeff

And they would be just as wrong, Brian. So what do you want, to legislate no show of faith in the public arena at all? How would we enforce that? Fines, whippings, prison? Perhaps we should send people to indoctrination camps, so that they only believe in government and/or the "god" of science? Perhaps it would just be easier for individuals, like yourself, who seem to have a problem with people of faith, to get over yourselves. Seriously.

January 10, 2012 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sinister

Yes Jeff, public show of faith should be banned and violators should be penalized with a fine. True believers don't need to go public with their feelings, the ones that do only do so because they are attention wh0res.

January 10, 2012 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jeff

Interesting, "Sinister". Do you want control over everything that everyone does? Do you really feel that offended or threatened by it? Sad. Perhaps you should talk to somebody about this fear of yours.

January 10, 2012 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sinister

There is no 'fear' about it, it's extremely irritating that I have to endure the likes of the feeble minded while I'm out and about in public. And speaking of controlling what people do, isn't that what you religious nuts are trying to do in the areas of abortion, gay marriage, etc. Look in the mirror when you speak of being offended/threatened.

January 10, 2012 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jeff

No fear, "Sinister"? No arrogance, either? You are exactly what you accuse others of being, but you cannot see it.

January 10, 2012 at 5:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sinister

Et tu, Brute? Talk about not seeing what one is, typical hypocrite. I for one don't wear my beliefs on my sleeve for all to see, but am getting sick of tired of having to view it from others everywhere I go. Religious beliefs are personal, and thus should be kept private and to one's self.

January 10, 2012 at 6:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jeff

Oh, "Sinister", but you do wear your beliefs on your sleeve, as you have no hesitation in expressing your opninion, one that promotes the silencing of others. If I believed your opinion was "personal, and thus should be kept private and to one's self", would I be right in silencing you? That is, after all, what you are suggesting be done to people of faith. Rather, perhaps we should all just learn to be a little less sensitive?

January 10, 2012 at 6:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sinister

You cannot silence that which is non existent, I only speak out when others (yourself) spread ignorance. I feel that if I don't at least try to enlighten others, it was a wasted opportunity. Yes, I would love to silence those so called faithful, because I see the problems and conflicts they create. But it's ok Mr. Pot, this kettle gets it. You cannot be swayed from your bliss that resides in ignorance.

January 10, 2012 at 7:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jeff

"Sinister", it appears we have very little in common, as we view the world very differently. Without any intended offense, I would like to say God bless. I wish you well.

January 10, 2012 at 7:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sinister

And unto you sir, likewise.

January 10, 2012 at 8:50 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Ted

Congrats Denver and all of their fans, signed Steeler fan and good luck on Sat!!!!

January 10, 2012 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Jeffrey Alan

Mayor Ravenstahl is not doing it right. Tebowing is a closed fist with the thumb and forefinger on the forehead. Hey, I didn't make this nonsense up, I'm just reporting the facts.

January 10, 2012 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
  15. tony

Mad props to the guy for paying up on his bet. I'm guessing he thought there was a 0% chance he would lose.

January 10, 2012 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |