January 10th, 2012

Pittsburgh's mayor 'Tebows' in defeat

Pittsburgh's mayor knelt down in defeat on Tuesday, donning a Denver Broncos No. 15 jersey and "Tebowing" in front of the Steel City's skyline to pay off a bet he made with the mayor of Denver over the Steelers-Broncos playoff game.

Mayor Luke Ravenstahl's Steelers lost as Denver quarterback Tim Tebow (No. 15) threw an 80-yard touchdown pass on the first play of overtime for a 29-23 victory Sunday.

Tebow's gesture of kneeling in prayer after great plays has become a national phenomenon, but for Ravenstahl it wasn't a craze he wanted a part of.

"This is not something I ever thought I'd have to do, and it certainly wasn't something I was looking forward to," Ravenstahl said. "However, we're good sports here in Pittsburgh, and I want to congratulate Denver on a great win."

If Denver had lost, Mayor Michael Hancock had pledged to wear a Steelers jersey and wave a "terrible towel," SBNation Pittsburgh reported.

Tebow posts biblical passing number

Odds are Tebow will have us talking

1. PeterD

Good sportsmanship from mayor.

January 10, 2012 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. and justice for all...

if you do it becuase tebow does it isn't it idolizing a false god? also, isn't it 'genuflecting' (sic?) and not 'tebowing'? by calling it 'tebowing' isn't that blasphemous (sic?)?

January 10, 2012 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • reall?

Really, you're getting technical with a good natured bet story? you must be a blast at parties.

January 10, 2012 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Person

You sound so stupid getting technical for nothing.

January 10, 2012 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Big Game James

Its just football folks. Calm down.

January 10, 2012 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. J.R.

Pittsburgh is still the better and brighter city than Denver. "Tebowing", though, such low class. Screw you, Tebow, and the faith that you EXPLOIT.

January 10, 2012 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Bill C

Dude, take your pills.

January 10, 2012 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mile High

Totally- I mean who would want to live in a mountain paradise when you have those exciting career opportunities in the steel mills and coal mines!

January 10, 2012 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • D.A.G.

you pittsburgh fans just cant accept a loss, always got to have the last word. GO RAVENS!!!!

January 10, 2012 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cindy

My mom once said if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all.

January 10, 2012 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ha

You are an impaired person.

January 10, 2012 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
  5. claycomojo

Matthew 6.6 But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.

January 10, 2012 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • TXpresby

Thank you claycomojo! Exactly my sentiment as well!

January 10, 2012 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jeff

Christ also said that if we confess Him before men, He will confess us before God. Rather than debate, my real question is, what is it to you how a man prays? If you wish to do so behind closed doors, fine. Why belittle him if he wishes to do so openly? How is that "offensive" or a "threat" to you?

January 10, 2012 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Skegeeace

I love how non-believers latch onto one verse and take it out of context because they don't want to see someone praying. Try reading the ENTIRE Bible before you go cherry-picking. What Tebow is doing is not the same thing and the "hypocrites" being referenced here. The Pharisees and Sadducees would often do this out in the streets all day long, not every once in a while in thankfulness.

January 10, 2012 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • thoms

CHERRY PICKING?!?!?! WOW!! This coming from a christian? Now I have seen everything. I love irony but ...just ....wow.

January 10, 2012 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
  6. TXpresby

I am so sick of "Tebowing"!!!!! Many players kneel and pray, cross themselves, etc. Why is Tebow kneeling such a big deal to people? I wish this craze would end and the next "new thing" would begin!

January 10, 2012 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Ben

Good to see that Mike and Jeff paint liberals with the same broad brush in the same way many liberals (oh, I'm sorry, "libtards") paint conservatives (or should that be "conservatards"?) with their own left-leaning brand of broad brush. After all, the fact that I choose to read CNN instead of Fox News automatically means that I'm a religion-hating, gun-banning, baby-killing communist. Then again, since you choose to come onto the boards here and start trolling, it probably means that you're a Fox News person and therefore are an uneducated, backwoods, sleep-with-your-sister redneck who believes only in Guns, God, and Glory. Oh, almost forgot: also that our current President is either a Muslim, a non-American, or most likely both.

Well, fortunately, even though I am a liberal, I don't necessarily automatically believe those things about you, as I don't know either one of you. However, I do have to counter your statements by saying that despite my soul-rotting liberalism, I really couldn't care less about how Tebow chooses to worship whatever he believes in. Likewise, I couldn't care less about the people who are offended by it.

Assuming that people of the same political, religious, or cultural cloth all think and feel the same is foolish as it is, well, arrogant.

But then again, I'd know about that last word because I am, after all, a liberal.

January 10, 2012 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jeff

Well, Ben, thanks for proving my point. Much obliged. (Just kidding, assuming you have a sense of humor.)

January 10, 2012 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ben

I do indeed.

January 10, 2012 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
  8. John

Come on guys, T-bow is the worst player ever. He cannot trow the ball. He was lucky and trow 10 yards and someone else run 70 yards but we don't hear anything about the player who run 70 yards. People are just stupid here

January 10, 2012 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Ambrose Smith

I agree. What about the dude who ran the ball???? Tebow getting fat too much credit. Brady will beat him AGAIN soon enough.

January 10, 2012 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Saint Auggggghhhhhhhh

Is that Jesus standing on the bridge?

January 10, 2012 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Broncofan

If he doesn't want that jersey I'll take it.

January 10, 2012 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. JOHN

"Tebowing" is nothing more than an obnoxious display to draw attention to oneself. His "religiousity" reveals his lack of true spirituality.

January 10, 2012 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Cindy

If you will notice, its the PRESS playing all this up, not Tebow himself. Leave the guy alone!

January 10, 2012 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Ambrose Smith

Yessir. It is TEBOWING: Kneeling down, calling attention to yourself and not really praying. Just thinking, "Okay. I am kneeling down in prayer mode and I am trying to pray, but all I am really thinking is that I am here kneeling, drawing attention to myself."

January 10, 2012 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jeff

Sounds like you see in others what you know to be true in yourself. Perhaps you shouldn't make those assumptions.

January 10, 2012 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cindy

I like that Jeff. Only Tebow knows what he is doing. The other is just speculation.

January 10, 2012 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |
  13. No Return

This is great sportsmanship.. What is should be more like.. Kudos to the mayor, a man always keeps his bets.

January 10, 2012 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  14. ethandy

Jesus Christ.

January 10, 2012 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  15. TriXen

It's alright, man... New England is gonna take care of the Broncos once and for all this Saturday!

January 10, 2012 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse | Reply