January 10th, 2012

Pittsburgh's mayor 'Tebows' in defeat

Pittsburgh's mayor knelt down in defeat on Tuesday, donning a Denver Broncos No. 15 jersey and "Tebowing" in front of the Steel City's skyline to pay off a bet he made with the mayor of Denver over the Steelers-Broncos playoff game.

Mayor Luke Ravenstahl's Steelers lost as Denver quarterback Tim Tebow (No. 15) threw an 80-yard touchdown pass on the first play of overtime for a 29-23 victory Sunday.

Tebow's gesture of kneeling in prayer after great plays has become a national phenomenon, but for Ravenstahl it wasn't a craze he wanted a part of.

"This is not something I ever thought I'd have to do, and it certainly wasn't something I was looking forward to," Ravenstahl said. "However, we're good sports here in Pittsburgh, and I want to congratulate Denver on a great win."

If Denver had lost, Mayor Michael Hancock had pledged to wear a Steelers jersey and wave a "terrible towel," SBNation Pittsburgh reported.

Tebow posts biblical passing number

Odds are Tebow will have us talking

1. Agape

If he was gay or Muslim, what would you do? What nothing, because you wouldn't want to discriminate. Well, he's a Christian, and we need to show him just as much respect as other cultures and ways of different lifesytles recieve from the media. Leave him alone and back off!!

January 10, 2012 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Mike D

I wish there were a "Like" button. Sad thing is, most people will never have respect for anything in life. But I do agree with you on this.

January 10, 2012 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • TJ

January 10, 2012 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Steve

It's not discrimination because he's Christian, it's discrimination because he's a tool. If he were Gay or Muslim and flaunted it in our faces the way he does his religion now we certainly would make fun of him.

Not only do we need to respect him and his right to practice whatever he please, but he needs to respect us, the people who want to watch Football without having ANY religion or lifestyle thrown in our faces. Football is just that, Football.

January 10, 2012 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • rmtaks

If he were gay or Muslim and did something flagrant and obnoxious I would mock him just as hard. God does not care that you made a great play.

January 10, 2012 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jeff

It has been said that, the farther away from God we drift, "good" will be defined as "evil", and "evil" will be defined as 'good". We see examples of this in all things, great and small.

January 10, 2012 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • rmtaks

OK Jeff, in the OT God passes judgement to stone a man to death for picking up sticks on the Sabath. In the NT Jesus picks some wheat and tells the pharisees to blow off when they question him about it. Which is good and which is evil?

January 10, 2012 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jeff

"rmtaks"...Christ was the fullness of the law, so I believe in the NT. If you are serious about your questions, I would advise talking to an Orthodox Christian priest, one who is far more educated and enlightened than you or I.

January 10, 2012 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Takeback

Wrong Steve. You're the tool. So what if he thanks God? Exactly how does it affect you? Exactly how does it impact your life? Apparently you're too weak minded to respect a man because he's so deeply rooted in his faith that he rejoices whenever he gets the chance? It's not like he's knocking on your door trying to convert you. If you don't like it, don't watch.

January 10, 2012 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • rmtaks

By "educated" you mean "better at worming around obvious contradictions." The OT God was positively maniacal. Ordering genocides, wiping out 50,000 of a city of his followers because 2 tried to steal the ark. I really don't need to contort my ethics to fit into a belief system that claims to give salvation and does not appeal to my sense of justice, love, or mercy in the least.

January 10, 2012 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Matt

Go read Matthew 6:5-6 before you praise his awesome displays of Christianity.... Do Christians even read the bible?

January 10, 2012 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nathan

AAAAH OOOH! Boo hoo! Another "oppressed christian" complaining about how everyone hates christians. Do any states have laws banning you from running for office? Hmm...no really well atheists have to deal with that. Do you have to deal with Muslims trying to force prayer on you? Hmmm...no really then stop acting so freaking oppressed. The reason he gets so much media attention is because they want to shove Christianity down our throats it's upsetting.

January 10, 2012 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • DAT

Steve – here's one "like" for your insight.

January 10, 2012 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • rmtaks

Nathan: They are the oppressed majority. You get the best of both worlds when you can oppress everyone else then play the victim card when your oppression is challenged or even poked fun at.

January 10, 2012 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • comeon

@TJ "Agreed. Christianity should be respected, too bad we as a society have fallen so very far from where this country was founded." The US was not founded on Christianity. I hope that you know that.

January 10, 2012 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Steve

@Takeback.

I never once said I didn't respect him and his right to practice his religion. He's not the only player that practices that particular religion, even on the field. The difference is he does so in a manner that's in your face and is very vocal about it. In fact, were you to actually read my post it says:
      "Not only do we need to respect him and his right to practice whatever he please" Indicating that I do in fact respect him and his right to practice.

I watch Football to watch Football, I go to Church to pray and to give God some of my time out of every week. Some people, including myself, like to see religion separate from other things.

Calling me a tool, and an idiot (Todd) on the internet and accusing me of being weak minded surely is taking the high road.

January 10, 2012 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • rmtaks

The question is, if he was gay or Muslim, what would YOU do? I'm 100% sure the people freaking out the most about a QB running out with a pride flag would be the people supporting Tebow on this.

January 10, 2012 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • JT

Lets look at the history of Christians, how many people and cultures have this religion destroyed & killed over its history. Don't be an hypocrite.

January 10, 2012 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ken from FL

To Steve: Admit it, you wouldn't be calling him a "tool" if he smoked, drank, caroused and assaulted women like his Steelers counterpart, would you?

January 10, 2012 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brian

you are kdding right? I agree that he has a right to display his faith, but he would be mocked just as much if he were gay or muslim if not more so. The thing that really puzzles me about Christian athletes thanking God for their plays is that it seems like they are unintentionally making a mockery of their God by reducing him to some genie granting wishes. There are people praying for kids dying of starvation and cancer whose prayers go unanswered, but God will answer some millionaire athlete's wish for a touchdown play? Really? I'm not attacking Tebow, I think he is a great human being. I'm just exposing the silliness of the whole situation.

January 10, 2012 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Steve

KenfromFL:
      You certainly don't truly believe that do you? I also don't see the correlation, all of Ben's "activities", though I don't condone them, happened off the field. If I don't watch ESPN after the game, I don't have to hear about Ben's antics off field. While watching the game you get Tebow in your face no matter what.

Though I personally do indulge in the drink every now and again, were Tebow to do as such and flaunt it on field he certainly WOULD be a tool.

January 10, 2012 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Takeback

@Steve

I apologize for for my disparaging remarks toward you. Obviously, this is a topic that evokes a tremendous amount of emotion on both sides. I guess I just don't understand why his comments affect people the way they do. Exactly how is he disrespecting anyone by making these comments? Where is the harm? Why are people so threatened by this? There are a lot more athletes out there making idiotic comments on Facebook or Twitter, so I think it's refreshing to hear someone positive. He lives his faith. So what?

January 10, 2012 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Steve

There is no harm of him living his faith. He's allowed to be who he please, when he pleases, how he pleases. The harm is just what you said. It is obviously emotional from all aspects, which is annoying for people who would prefer to have it left out of Football. He's doing a disservice to his profession by acting the way he does. It puts off a lot of people and there are plenty of people who will not watch a game because of him.

Were he to keep it to himself during the game it wouldn't be the end of the world for the right wing religious zealots that love it. He has written at least one book and I imagine does plenty of other things to help his community, etc. The people that love him from that can get that form of "entertainment" elsewhere, not on the football field.

January 10, 2012 at 6:39 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Mike D

Quite the sporty type, aren't we?

January 10, 2012 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. RealityCheck

Pray for an end to hunger and disease and suffering... not for a stupid game being played by millionaires.
    Give thanks for scientists finding cures and medicine... not for a 10 yard pass.

January 10, 2012 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Chill

How do you know what they are praying for?

January 10, 2012 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jeff

Give thanks to God for those scientists finding cures and medicine...

January 10, 2012 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • RealityCheck

@Chill – Tebow has clearly stated he is giving thanks for his ever so important football victories, and not finding a cure for cancer.

@Jeff- That's what I meant.

January 10, 2012 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Matt

Or instead of praying, go to school and become a doctor or scientist. Go donate time and money to people who need it more. What good is praying going to do if people still continue down the same path they would if they didn't.

January 10, 2012 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Bruce

btw. Since Tebow thanks the lord every time he scores, does he also blame the lord when he doesn't score, or when he gets intercepted. Since, according to Tebow, the lord is responsible for everything, he must be responsible for all of Tebow's losses. I'd love to hear Tebow at the podium say...... "God was with the other team, today" or "We lost becasue the lord wanted that to happen".

January 10, 2012 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jeff

Like many humble people, it appears Tebow takes time to thank God for all things, big and small, important and trivial, and perhaps, even good and bad, the latter as they provide growing/learning experiences. What is it to you?

January 10, 2012 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jill

He has said that.

January 10, 2012 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sherry

Don't worry Jill, I'm sure most women find Bruce to be a self indulged moron and a bore.

January 10, 2012 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bruce

@Sherry – Does your belief tell you that, too? Go back to eating your bon-bons.

January 10, 2012 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sherry

Now now Brucie I must have struck a sore point.

January 10, 2012 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Mike

If Pittsburg had won Denver's Mayor would have had to emulate Roethlisberger by throwing an after-party and raping a few people.

It's just better this way.

January 10, 2012 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. rmtaks

"And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full."

Mathew 6:5

January 10, 2012 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jeff

This was already addressed above. Christ also said that if you confess Him before men, He will confess you before his Father. Why do you care how someone prays? What do you fear?

January 10, 2012 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • rmtaks

There is a difference between "confessing" and "flaunting" Jeff. Confessing is what Peter should have done instead of denying. Flaunting is what Tebow does.

January 10, 2012 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • rmtaks

And to answer your question about what I fear: It has already been realized – the religious right thinking they have a right and obligation to project their beliefs and morals on everyone else. While what Tebow does is silly, what happens in the government is not.

January 10, 2012 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Thanatos

Agreed completely rmtak. His continual flaunting of his prayer in a public place, when he knows all eyes are on him, strikes me as very much against the spirit of Matthew 5. Jesus said not to deny him, like Peter did, and if someone asks you, then you give a reason for the faith that is within, but to continually spout what he does, whether it is with a good motive or not, is not something Christians should do.

January 10, 2012 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jeff

"rmtaks"...aren't you, by your comments, projecting your beliefs and morals onto others. How is voicing your opinion any different than what Tim Tebow does by kneeling and praying? I would argue that, whereas what he does is left open to interpretation, your comments are not. Should you be silenced, just because I and others don't agree with you?

January 10, 2012 at 5:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • rmtaks

I am giving my case on a discussion board, made for discussion, not trying to hijack an unrelated event. In both cases though, we are opening up ourselves for criticism and even mockery, which both of us have received. And knock it off with the strawman, I never said he should be silenced. I simply said I'm going to respond publicly to what he is doing publicly. Clear?

January 10, 2012 at 7:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jeff

That's fair. I don't believe you claimed he should be silenced. Please excuse, as I have been debating with a couple others here as well, one who clearly promoted the silencing of all public expressions of faith, by fining people, no less. I suggested, as an alternative, that we all just learn to be a little less sensitive.

January 10, 2012 at 8:03 pm | Report abuse |
  7. todd

steve you are an idiot

January 10, 2012 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • DAT

Wow! Stunningly brilliant rebuttal there todd. You must have been in some sort of debate club.

January 10, 2012 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Steve

Don't mind him DAT, he's a herp and a derp away from making a valid, interesting, insightful and intelligent point.

January 10, 2012 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
  8. JR from the burgh

All of these comments on here are preposterous. How people can get so bothered by Tebow's praying is beyond me. I just don't get it. You must have a pretty miserable existence if something like this gets you so worked up. The Steelers were very banged up missing alot of key starters including Ryan Clark who couldn't play because the steelers who were 12-4 on the season had to play Denver at home in Mile High who had an 8-8 record. If Clark was playing, Tebow wouldn't have completed those deep passes. No one runs the ball on the steelers consistently. End of story. Denver had everything going for them in this game. It just wasn't meant to be this year for the Steelers unfortunately. I'll be rooting for the Broncos to take down the Patriots!!! Though that really would be a miracle. Go Pens!

January 10, 2012 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. todd

nathan it has nothing to do with shoving christianity down your throat, teabow never pushes it on noone. thats the way he beleives and thats great. he is twice the man you will ever be and maybe you should consider the way you live, sounds to me your stupid.

January 10, 2012 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. susy middleton

If I hear of see any more to Tebow I am going to throw up..I watch NFL Channel until now. When Tebow comes on I mute the TV cannot stand his immature nasel na na na na DUH

GIVE US A BREAK..SO THIS GUY THREW A PASS ....FINALLY

January 10, 2012 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • government cheese

24 teams are siting at home right now. Tebow's team is still playing. That is all you need to know. Just win baby!!!!

January 10, 2012 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Football Mom

Easy Susy. Down girl. It's just football. You know, guys playing with a ball. Trying to entertain the masses who have no other life. Take another valium and chill. It will be okay.

January 10, 2012 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
  11. rmtaks

OK let's turn the tables on a question that was asked earlier: Christians supporting him: what would YOU do if he was gay or Muslim? Like came out waving a pride flag, or got on a mat and prayed facing Mecca when he made a big play? I know you're not going to be honest here, but at least be honest to yourself.

January 10, 2012 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jeff

Hopefully, "rmtaks", we would not follow your example, and be overly critical and sensitive of it.

January 10, 2012 at 5:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • rmtaks

Jeff: If this hypothetical takes place and there is not 10x as much uproar by the evangelicals, I will take back everything I said about Tebow.

January 10, 2012 at 7:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jeff

"Rmtaks", again, if the hypothetical were to happen, we would be following your example. That is because, like you, many of us are not as educated and enlightened as we could/should be, but most of us know we are not perfect, and we continue to strive. Now, if your hypothetical were to be disproven, by objective standards, then for some reason, I have little doubt that you would still find what you are looking for. But perhaps I am stereotyping you as you have been stereotyping us?

January 10, 2012 at 7:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • rmtaks

"like you, many of us are not as educated and enlightened as we could/should be"
      You know what, I haven't mounted a single personal attack on you, and only criticized Tebow's behavior, not the man himself. I realize this isn't an objective discussion of facts, but you are upping the ante with comments like this.

"again, if the hypothetical were to happen, we would be following your example."
      Oh please, my relatives were calling for gays to be stoned before I became agnostic or even knew who Tebow was. If I am overly critical and reactionary I promise you that growing up in an evangelical church didn't help.

"But perhaps I am stereotyping you as you have been stereotyping us?"
      See here is the thing, I have been a part of many churches throughout my life, and have grounds to speak on the subject, even if it isn't accurate to yours in particular. You don't even know who I am.

January 10, 2012 at 9:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jeff

Nor do you know who I am. Perhaps I have misread some of your comments, but if you will review, I hope you would admit that you have not painted any good pictures of people of faith. I, like you, have come across some less than ideal examples in my time, but for each one of those, I have met dozens who are quite humble, sincere, and trying, with the recognition that we are all hypocrites and sinners and in need of spiritual healing. It is a lifelong process, in which true perfection is never reached. You may have meant no offense, but I must admit, some was taken, so forgive my frustration and curt responses.

January 10, 2012 at 9:49 pm | Report abuse |
  12. john

@steve... christianity gets looked down upon...Every religion believes in GOD, but several refuse to follow him( jesus) altho no one can get to the father,only but through him...I applaude TEBOW for standing up for
    his religion... Do you remember a few years , during the national anthem, nba player Mahmoud abdul Rauf (chris Jackson) refused to stand or salute the flag becasue his religion??? we need more people like tebow, this country is too liberal... "we are,and shall be a christian nation"

January 10, 2012 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Steve

Don't let me leave the impression that I look down upon Christianity. I am a practicing Christian myself. My point is that I see no reason why there should be any correlation between God and sports. Tim Tebow and every other athlete that wants to is certainly allowed in my books to pray all they want. When I go to the movies, I don't want to have any religion thrown in my face, when I go to dinner I do not want any religion thrown in my face, while at work I do not want any religion around and while watching sports I do not want that either.

"This country is too liberal" is a statement for another discussion.

January 10, 2012 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
  13. JT

The mayor should be worry about his states unemployment numbers than wasting time on Tebow.

January 10, 2012 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Marin88

Give Tebow some respect you guys. So what if he's religious, he enjoys everything about the sport; Good or bad. His niche is him kneeling and is something that shouldn't be mocked. (all jokingly or not). I'd like to see you throw an 80 yard pass for a playoff win.

January 10, 2012 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Luvuall

There are those out there who know (or feel?) how much God has to do with Tim and Sunday's win. 3:16 a coincidence? Maybe but just the argument raises awareness. As long as Tebow's kneeling in prayer doesn't get a ref to throw a flag for excessive celebration (will they change the rules?) then why would it be more annoying than a Lambo Leap? If you like to see Tim "Tebow" after a big play then good for you and if you like to watch SNL make fun of the "Tebow" good for you too!

January 10, 2012 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Luvuall

P.S. It will be a miracle if I don't get blasted for my post.

January 10, 2012 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |