January 10th, 2012

Pittsburgh's mayor 'Tebows' in defeat

Pittsburgh's mayor knelt down in defeat on Tuesday, donning a Denver Broncos No. 15 jersey and "Tebowing" in front of the Steel City's skyline to pay off a bet he made with the mayor of Denver over the Steelers-Broncos playoff game.

Mayor Luke Ravenstahl's Steelers lost as Denver quarterback Tim Tebow (No. 15) threw an 80-yard touchdown pass on the first play of overtime for a 29-23 victory Sunday.

Tebow's gesture of kneeling in prayer after great plays has become a national phenomenon, but for Ravenstahl it wasn't a craze he wanted a part of.

"This is not something I ever thought I'd have to do, and it certainly wasn't something I was looking forward to," Ravenstahl said. "However, we're good sports here in Pittsburgh, and I want to congratulate Denver on a great win."

If Denver had lost, Mayor Michael Hancock had pledged to wear a Steelers jersey and wave a "terrible towel," SBNation Pittsburgh reported.

Tebow posts biblical passing number

Odds are Tebow will have us talking

1. richard

hey guys,,football and mythology doesn't mix well,,

January 10, 2012 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pittsburgh native

"Don't" is the plural verb, not "doesn't."

January 10, 2012 at 5:38 pm | Report abuse |
  2. mb2010a

So if they don't get to the super bowl (which is not likely) will that mean God doesn't like Tebow anymore??

January 10, 2012 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |

Correct

January 10, 2012 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • thanos

Not really. God still loves Tebow even if he doesn't win a Superbowl same as he loves every other person on this planet. Stop equating stupid sports success with God liking someone. Its alot deeper than that.

January 10, 2012 at 5:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Holierthanthou

Settle down thanos...I think he was kidding

January 10, 2012 at 5:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Matt

No one evr thought that Denver would have a .500 season let alone beat the Steelers so, is it really possible that Denver could be in the Superbowl this year??? Yes it is!!! Oh and don't be a hater.

Thanks,

The Playoffs

January 10, 2012 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Ken

Good to see he was a good sport about it. Sounds like either way one mayor would be humiliated...but then they both agreed to their respective payoffs so it's all in good fun.

January 10, 2012 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
  4. lcleejr1356

good to see the mayor of pittsburgh is a tebow fan. the steelers are gone, the penquins are going nowhere and we don't need to mention the pirates. so much for sports in pittsburgh.

January 10, 2012 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
  5. olan hodges

Go Tebow

January 10, 2012 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
  6. olan hodges

Broncos 26 Patriots 21 – Tebow wins again in the fourth quarter...place your bets.

January 10, 2012 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Holierthanthou

Tebow won in overtime

January 10, 2012 at 5:53 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Cindy

Lighten up people. My gosh!

January 10, 2012 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Dave836

I'm gonna laugh my azz off if broncos beat the patriots.

January 10, 2012 at 5:35 pm | Report abuse |
  9. kyle788

Brian you hit the nail on the head with that one.

January 10, 2012 at 5:36 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Layminister herman

@STEVE hey bud I do applaud you with giving god some of your time,although if youve been going to church any period of time then you should realize that the main reason for going to church is to reaffirm your belief in the trinity.You see when you go to church you are supposed to be with brothers and sisters of the same beliefs! You get recharged at church and take your beliefs out to do gods work.Iam affraid after reading your post that you are what we call a part time christian,which is your holier than thou at church and once you leave church you also leave god there until the next time you go to church!Do you really think that god wants you part time STEVE.There is no such thing as a part time christian in gods eyes,you either worship god fulltime or not at all.I could go on and on but I dont want to take up any of your time talking about the holy trinity!

January 10, 2012 at 5:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Steve

Whether or not I am a C&E Christian, part-time Christian or full-time Christian is truly none of your business. My relationship with the big guy upstairs is exactly that, mine.

You're beating around the bush and not taking my point for what I have clearly laid it out to be. Tim Tebow is certainly allowed to pay his respects, thanks and praises to whomever he please. Layminister Herman, I don't perceive you to be a tool because you aren't in my, or anyone else's, face about your religion.

For Football to be successfully enjoyed by people of ALL types, values and religions, religion should be kept out of it.

January 10, 2012 at 6:33 pm | Report abuse |
  11. The Question

I used to Tebow, but then I took an arrow to the Knee!....... That joke has to die...

January 10, 2012 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Jeff Frank (R-Ohio) "Right Wing Insanity"

Or is he really praying to the Football Gods? Does he face East when he prays following a good play, or is he praying that he won't have to face his coach following a junk pass?

January 10, 2012 at 5:52 pm | Report abuse |
  13. banasy©

This is ridiculous.
    Tebow didn't invent this...athetes have done this forever.
    My husband used to do this; his father did, too.
    It's a moment to focus and collect one's thoughts.
    Tebow says he is praying, and he may well be.
    He also could be focusing on the next play.
    That's what athletes do.

January 10, 2012 at 5:53 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Tuan Vu

I love Tim Tebow!

January 10, 2012 at 5:55 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Layminister herman

You know its really easy to tell which ones posting are christians and who is just spouting off about something they know very little of! When Tim prays he more than likelys not saying a word about winning,rather hes giving thanks for the abilitys that the father has blessed him with.A true christian knows that nothing is possible but only thru the father

January 10, 2012 at 5:56 pm | Report abuse |