January 10th, 2012

Pittsburgh's mayor 'Tebows' in defeat

Pittsburgh's mayor knelt down in defeat on Tuesday, donning a Denver Broncos No. 15 jersey and "Tebowing" in front of the Steel City's skyline to pay off a bet he made with the mayor of Denver over the Steelers-Broncos playoff game.

Mayor Luke Ravenstahl's Steelers lost as Denver quarterback Tim Tebow (No. 15) threw an 80-yard touchdown pass on the first play of overtime for a 29-23 victory Sunday.

Tebow's gesture of kneeling in prayer after great plays has become a national phenomenon, but for Ravenstahl it wasn't a craze he wanted a part of.

"This is not something I ever thought I'd have to do, and it certainly wasn't something I was looking forward to," Ravenstahl said. "However, we're good sports here in Pittsburgh, and I want to congratulate Denver on a great win."

If Denver had lost, Mayor Michael Hancock had pledged to wear a Steelers jersey and wave a "terrible towel," SBNation Pittsburgh reported.

Tebow posts biblical passing number

Odds are Tebow will have us talking

1. Layminister herman

You know its really easy to tell which ones posting are christians and who is just spouting off about something they know very little of! When Tim prays he more than likelys not saying a word about winning,rather hes giving thanks for the abilitys that the father has blessed him with.A true christian knows that nothing is possible but only thru the father. Tims doing it the right way.Hes not a part time christian

January 10, 2012 at 6:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • brico

Thats a good point. But you do need to correct the word 'knows' to 'assumes' or 'believes'. No one should come down on a person for using a set of BELIEFS if it helps them to be a more moralistic, more compassionate person. I would rather see a field full of prayer athletes who are grateful for what they have and are upstanding citizens than most of the NBA athletes and their off the court self-centered antics.

January 10, 2012 at 6:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • paul

you do know that you are kooky, right?

January 10, 2012 at 6:52 pm | Report abuse |
  2. doug

praying does not make anyone any more christian than someone who doesn't

January 10, 2012 at 6:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jeff

Doug, please educate yourself on Christianity before commenting. Prayer has been and always will be a major part of the faith, as it is of many faiths. I believe I know what you are attempting to convey, but you are simply wrong. Now as for the sincerity of prayer, that is for God to discern, not you or I.

January 10, 2012 at 6:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • HMC

Mayor Luke Ravenstahl kneeling, doesn't mean he was praying while doing so. More likely he mumbled: "damn Christian made me lost, go to hell"

January 10, 2012 at 7:03 pm | Report abuse |
  3. banasy©

No one on this Earth is qualified to know who is a true Christian or not.
    Sorry.

January 10, 2012 at 6:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lara

That makes it awfully convenient for Christians, doesn't it?

January 10, 2012 at 7:04 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Nicole

Mayor gets on his knees for photo but doesnt actually say prayer, why is that? I know he made a bet?! Tim keep pressing like Apostle Paul with boldness and great courage!

January 10, 2012 at 6:20 pm | Report abuse |
  5. bob

To Tim tebow: Mathew 6:6

January 10, 2012 at 6:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • marty in nj

Amen! Amazing how many people overlook that passage.

January 10, 2012 at 6:58 pm | Report abuse |
  6. christards

christards

January 10, 2012 at 6:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Believer

May God bless you and forgive you for your ignorance.

January 10, 2012 at 6:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • kevthegerman

hahahahahaha! Christards.. thats funny..

January 10, 2012 at 10:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • kevthegerman

hey "Believer" did you ever think that you are in fact the ignorant one? You sir are a pot calling the kettle black.

January 10, 2012 at 10:57 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Layminister herman

I sure am sad to see so many people that think that god dont exist.I wonder when they have to explain that to the father how they are going to account for that one to the father!!

January 10, 2012 at 6:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • shjjeb

How exactly can know there's "a father" waiting to take account of everything everybody does. Maybe you've just universalized the voice in your head like all the followers of all the many religions all of which cannot be true (more likely: none are). What arrogance! Anyway, why would "the father" demand we believe in "His" existence? If "He" wanted us to believe, wouldn't we just? More likely religion plays on people hopes and desires and just general mental wonkiness and demands we "believe" because that's what it needs to survive.

January 10, 2012 at 7:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • marty in nj

I sure am sad to see how many people here profess to know the mind and nature of G-d.

January 10, 2012 at 7:02 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Josh

I just think the little bet was awesome and in the true spirit of American sport. I'm glad that the mayor of Pittsburgh owed up, it makes life fun.

January 10, 2012 at 6:43 pm | Report abuse |
  9. maine liberal

When boston wins this week, Tebow has to go to a strip joint

January 10, 2012 at 6:54 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Layminister herman

@steve thankyou for noticeing that Iam not in your face ,That is not how I evangelize.And steve like you say what you do is between you and the father,but by the way you posted I seem to have hit a nerve.Please believe me that there was no insult intended.But with that said and Iam intending to direct this to the part time christians.Nothing is possible except thru the father.He is with us full time,So when you go before the father and he ask you hey what you dont like me enough to work fulltime for me but I did for you.I sincerly hope you will have a good answer

January 10, 2012 at 6:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • kevthegerman

blah blah blah, i am not all in your face with my atheism, please dont be in my face about your christianity.

January 10, 2012 at 11:00 pm | Report abuse |
  11. AntiPalinAlaskan

When Tebow gets his Sacred Heinie handed to him by the Pats, will he go agnostic, athiest, heathen, pagan? Inquiring minds want to know.

(and, somewhere out there, YHWH is driving the angels bonkers, by asking them, over and over again, "Why the #@$? should I care about football?"

January 10, 2012 at 7:00 pm | Report abuse |
  12. shjjeb

Anyway, if you were the creator of the universe, wouldn't you want to be thanked for real miracles? Although I guess the fact that people want to pay some guy millions to watch him throw a ball down the field better than most others is a kind of miracle in itself.

January 10, 2012 at 7:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Fr33th1nk3r

Yes, some people respect athletic pursuits as much as religious or intellectual ones.....shocker.

January 10, 2012 at 7:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jeff

And some, the most humble among us, consider all things, even the air we breath and the ground we walk on, to be miraculous. Perhaps Tebow is among these people, and thus, he gives thanks for something that you or I might consider to be "trivial".

January 10, 2012 at 8:10 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Brian Zwart

Some people are better off when their faith is blind. What you don't know can't kill you.

January 10, 2012 at 8:04 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Brian Zwart

Keeping your friends close, and your enemies closer.... etc.

January 10, 2012 at 8:06 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Marie

I see nothing wrong with the man expressing his love for God . Who is he hurting ? There are by far way more things to cry about in this World we live in.

January 11, 2012 at 12:17 am | Report abuse |