January 16th, 2012

Day of service honors Martin Luther King Jr.

The nation pauses Monday to remember the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr., the civil rights icon who would have turned 83 this year had a bullet not cut short his life.

President Barack Obama will mark the holiday with a service project at the Browne Education Campus in Washington on Monday morning, and the first couple will attend the Let Freedom Ring Celebration at the Kennedy Center on Monday evening.

U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder is scheduled to speak at the King Day at the Dome rally in Columbia, South Carolina on Monday, according to organizers of the event. The event will "commemorate Dr. King's life, draw attention to economic and educational equalities in the state, and protest the Confederate battle flag flying in front of the (state capitol) building," organizers said.

A federal holiday to honor King, who was assassinated in April 1968, was first observed in 1986. In 1994, Congress also designated it a national day of service.

On Monday, a group including Washington Mayor Vincent Gray, civil rights activist Dick Gregory and the Rev. Al Sharpton placed a wreath at the memorial honoring King.

"We must be reminded as to why Dr. King has been the one to deserve such a monument and such a holiday," Sharpton said. "... What he did was hold a banner of freedom and equality that actually transformed this nation."

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Civil Rights
  1. Joey Isotta-Fraschini©™

There is no National Baptist Convention?

January 16, 2012 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. American Inner City Police Assoc.

Southern Baptist Convention. King used the same techniques used by preachers. He targeted a specific audience, and quoted famous sayings known to induce crowds of people to become overly emotional. He was quite the artist.

January 16, 2012 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Jazzy

That's me Donna
    If I had done GREAT WORKS that you all deem praise worthy, I am still capable of sin.
    Jesus is and never has sinned, but the praise seems to be MORE sincere towards MLK
    See what I'm trying to say?

January 16, 2012 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • banasy©

I have not been on these blogs all day.
      Donna didn't post on this blog.
      Therefore, I have no idea what was said.....

Boy, I can't stand it when stuff gets deleted, and I have no idea why people are mad at me!
      Yeesh!

January 16, 2012 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
  4. American Inner City Police Assoc.

MLK said on many occassions that Jesus Christ was his exempler. How is it then, that MLK's "sheep" were riled into frenzies...chanting and waving their arms. Wagging their heads to and fro. Closing their eyes and praising into the air loudly. Whereas Jesus spoke softly and used illustrations that even a youngster could understand. The crowds were moved ny WHAT Jesus said. Not by HOW he said them. (Other than being in the presence of the most humble man who ever lived. That must have been a moving experience in and of itself)

January 16, 2012 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Philip

@Jazzy...I get it. People have special days where the honor, praise, analyze, discuss nationally, and give much attention to men. But there ain't no Jesus Christ Boulevards. There isn't any special day where we analyze Jesus' every word. I get it.

January 16, 2012 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Jazzy

:) LOL, But there ain't no Jesus Christ Boulevards. Yes I get it. And point well taken! Thanks for your post Philip

January 16, 2012 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Jazzy

Right on! banasy, thanks for your comment as well.
    Btw, I was wondering about the GYPSY thingy with your Mom, is that like being German? I thought it referred to a state of mind. Please explain.

January 16, 2012 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. s kel

I ment to text"growing up in the sixties and Washington D C"

January 16, 2012 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Philip

On one occassion, Jesus was speaking to a crowd of thousands. The crowd kept pushing-in on him to hear his soft voice. He got backed-up clear to the edge of the sea. So he got in a boat and paddled out a ways. The crowd thought he was leaving. Then he stopped, stood-up, and began speaking down at the water's calm surface. The soundwaves carried his message to every ear. MLK's body guards and loud amplifiers and yelling speech are a contradiction. And remember, long before they ever nabbed Jesus, several attempts were made to have him arrested. He was a wanted man and yet spoke freely in public. Peter acted like a bodyguard once and used his sword to take the ear off of one man trying to nab Jesus. But Jesus rebuked him. Jesus liked to wait until the last second...just as men were about to grab him...and then run! He was the fastest man alive...and by far. He could put like 2 miles between he and them in 15 min. I like to go-up into the mountains to get-away from all of this too from time to time.

January 16, 2012 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Jazzy

LOL, Sorry banasy I really thought it was like vanda bogging. :)

January 16, 2012 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. s kel

Jesus Christ, Bansay, there are plently of ways Christ is remembered...I cant belive you said that. :-)

January 16, 2012 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. s kel

trolls need to die.

January 16, 2012 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. s kel

they are not themselfs,they are not living beings. Like the sifi creature in the movie "The Thing" they assume or try to others personalities, traits, and blog screen names only to cause hate,confusion, and to disrupt. So as in the movie trolls were killed.

January 16, 2012 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Jazzy

Just ignore them s kel. You know it's only adding more fuel to the fire. And I see your point yet like all will be judged so will Dr. King. I feel Malcolm X was more honest and forthright if ya ask me.

January 16, 2012 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  15. s kel

Hey all like this fool getting off on my name, who would want a parasite using what you have and came up with( your screen ,blog name) im the real s kel. I would never instigate hatered on here. Only a phony troll would. Its 2:05 pm im at MLK mem. Its here, Im signing off bye my non troll friends.

January 16, 2012 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse | Reply