New tumors found on brain of baseball great Gary Carter
Gary Carter is pictured during his 1986 World Series-winning season with the New York Mets.
January 20th, 2012

New tumors found on brain of baseball great Gary Carter

Doctors have found new tumors on the brain of baseball Hall of Famer Gary Carter, his daughter wrote in an online journal Thursday.

Last May, Carter, 57, was diagnosed with inoperable brain tumors and began radiation treatments. The new tumors were found after Carter underwent an MRI test after falling during a visit to his doctor's office last week, his daughter, Kimmy Bloemers, wrote in the journal.

The MRI images were examined by Carter's doctors at Duke University Medical Center in North Carolina, who informed the family Thursday of the findings.

"There are now several new spots/tumors on my dad's brain. I write these words with tears because I am so sad for my dad," the journal post reads.

Carter's last public appearance was Sunday at a dinner that precedes his annual charity golf tournament in West Palm Beach, Florida.

He could not stand at the podium and spoke slowly from his seat in remarks that lasted about seven minutes, according to a report in The Palm Beach Post.

"I'm not feeling all that good," he said during the remarks, the Post reported. "And I just pray that God will continue to help me because I want to continue to help in any capacity that I can."

He did not make an appearance at the beginning of the tournament the next day.

He used the same words in a phone interview with the New York Daily News two weeks ago.

"I'm not feeling too good. It’s been coming on and coming on. I’ve had a chest cold. I’ve got sores in my mouth, blood clots. I get sick. … There’s just so many things. ... It's been nine months now and I don’t feel any different from Day One," the Daily News quoted him as saying.

Carter played in 19 major league seasons with the Montreal Expos, New York Mets, San Francisco Giants and Los Angeles Dodgers, batting .262 with 324 home runs and 1,225 runs batted in.

He entered baseball's Hall of Fame in 2003.

Friends and colleagues saluted Carter's courage at the golf tournament dinner.

"I tip my hat to him, because if it was me, I'd probably go off and hide in my house," Davey Johnson, Carter's manager for the World Series champion Mets in 1986, told the Post.

"Talk about a guy who's not selfish one bit. You can't really say enough good things about Gary, and to have to see him suffer like this has, it has really caught our attention," the Post quoted golfer Michelle McGann as saying.

Post by:
Filed under: Baseball • Sports
  1. keith

God Bless the Carter family during this difficult time & thanks for all the great memories Gary! You were one of my childhood idols.

January 21, 2012 at 8:42 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Don

I have cheered and idolized Gary since I was a kid. He was a role model to me and several kids of my generation. The same perseverance, respect and dignity that he personified on the field continues to shine through. I will hold you and your family in my prayers.....thank you so much for all the great memories...God Bless

January 21, 2012 at 8:57 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Andy

With Gary's fight and spirit, there will be triumph! Here or with Jesus, Gary will overcome this opponent like so many others! The memories of Carter in Montreal and later in NYC are still vivid for those of us who love him and more to have seen him play! Always a fighter always a sportsman...LETS GO METS, LETS GO METS!!!

January 22, 2012 at 3:00 am | Report abuse |
  4. Sorrow for Gary

This is so sad. Gary is a great role model and is a great inspiration. If the price of a brain must be paid, then please lord do humanity a favor and take the brain of newt gingrich and heal Gary Carter.

January 22, 2012 at 3:33 am | Report abuse |
  5. Snookie

God Bless. What a legend and a fighter.

January 22, 2012 at 5:58 am | Report abuse |
  6. reggie

Guys if you ever want to see humility take a look at mr carter because no one played the game like gary carter.

January 22, 2012 at 11:14 am | Report abuse |
  7. Samuel Getaneh Bogale Calgary Alberta

What a inspiration story of both a legend and his fight against this terrible disease!

January 22, 2012 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  8. John

This guy is an all around class act. I'll remember finding out that he would gladly autograph anything sent to to him though the mail (at his home address) as long as you made a donation to a charity. This was during his prime all-star days. I remember that kind of selfless behavior more than any contributions on the field.

January 23, 2012 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Cindy L

To Mr. Carter and your family. Our prayers are with you all. We have, as a family, been baseball fans since before we were married. Our son played then baseball starting in Little League and went as far as playing ball in the Minor Leagues. But, our favorite team was always the Mets. We enjoyed everytime we were able to watch them play on tv, and wished we had been able to travel to New York to see y'all play. My husband was diagnosed and began fighting in September, 2009. We know how hard this is on a family, but obviously, Gary has a loving family and lots of support. God is able to heal and we will continue praying in faith for His Healing Touch. If he can touch my husband, he can touch Gary as He is NO respector of persons....

January 23, 2012 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Cindy L

I meant to say he was diagnosed with Glioblastoma too.... God bless you all....

January 23, 2012 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Tumor associated macrophages

An innovative non-invasive cure useful for the actual eradication of tumors, CyberKnife robot Radiosurgery technique has presented a new expect people suffering from ...tumors

January 30, 2012 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |