Rescuers halt search as Italy cruise ship moves
The Costa Concordia lies stricken off the shore of the island of Giglio, Italy, on Thursday.
January 20th, 2012

Rescuers halt search as Italy cruise ship moves

Rescue workers have suspended their search of the Costa Concordia after the cruise ship moved, making it too risky for divers to operate, the Italian Coast Guard said Friday.

Sensors on board the vessel measured movement, Massimo Maccheroni, of the Coast Guard general command, told CNN.

"When this happens all rescue forces have to leave the ship, (so as) not to put their lives in danger," he said.

The authorities are now assessing their options. One possibility being considered is an attempt to anchor the vessel to the rocks off Giglio island using chains.

But, warned Maccheroni, "It's very difficult. The Concordia weighs 110,000 tons and it's like a 300 meter-high skyscraper in an horizontal position."

Italian authorities are considering when to call off the search for survivors and start the recovery operation, which would mean salvage workers can start emptying the ship's huge fuel tanks.
At least 11 people are known to have died in the disaster, and 21 are still missing, according to the Italian Crisis Unit.
A week after the ship ran aground off the Tuscan coast

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Italy • Travel
  1. Joey Isotta-Fraschini©™

As terrible as this was, the human loss could have been higher that thirty-two persons, especially considering the absence of some officers after the grounding.

January 20, 2012 at 10:20 am | Report abuse |
  2. Joey Isotta-Fraschini©™

TYPO:
    I meant, "...higher than," when I typed, "...higher that."

January 20, 2012 at 10:23 am | Report abuse |
  3. Rita

Im afraid there are people still trapped inside .It would be horrible to inside there.

January 20, 2012 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
  4. WE THE PEOPLE

I PLEDGE ALIGENCE TO THE FLAG OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA FOR WHICH IT STANDS ONE NATION UNDER GOD INDIVISABLE WITH LIBERTY AND JUSTICE FOR ALL!

January 21, 2012 at 9:18 am | Report abuse |
  5. Alaa

Its such a tradgedy but it could of been allot worse, God Bless the families that lost loved ones and hopefully 1 or 2 survivors end up beeing found somehow even though it would be a miracle if that was to happen now.

January 21, 2012 at 11:04 am | Report abuse |
    • Lucy

and I know that now my life will change oefevrr. Thank you so much, you have no ideas what it means to me and my family! See you at the top!!

March 12, 2012 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Bryan

I disgust mlesyf on how much time I have been wasting and how much I complain about how my life isn't working. Enough is enough. I WILL stop making excuses and will have an EXCELLENT testimony by the time I see you at Dynasty. WOW AMAZING

March 12, 2012 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |