Singing legend Etta James dies at 73
Etta James has died, according to her longtime friend and manager, Lupe De Leon. She was 73.
January 20th, 2012

Singing legend Etta James dies at 73

Etta James, whose assertive, earthy voice lit up such hits as "The Wallflower," "Something's Got a Hold on Me" and the wedding favorite "At Last," has died, according to her longtime friend and manager, Lupe De Leon. She was 73.

She died from complications from leukemia with her husband, Artis Mills, and her sons by her side, De Leon said.

She was diagnosed with leukemia in 2010, and also suffered from dementia and hepatitis C. James died at a hospital in Riverside, California. She would have turned 74 Wednesday.

" This is a tremendous loss for the family, her friends and fans around the world," De Leon said. "She was a true original who could sing it all - her music defied category.

"I worked with Etta for over 30 years. She was my friend and I will miss her always."

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Celebrity • Music • Showbiz
  1. NYYFan1

Etta James was a TRUE LEGEND and will be sorely missed. Just wanted to extend my utmost heartfelt condolences to the entire family of Etta James.

January 20, 2012 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Latrina

ooweee now this hear womin culd sang / we uzed to lissen to her wale out her song for yeres we will shorely miss her may she rest peecefull now

January 20, 2012 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Random Tribute

She was a great singer. I love the way she belted out "At Last" even though I don't like the lyrics all that much.

And so another human being passes away and we are one less than we were. Hopefully the family will cope okay.

January 20, 2012 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
  4. bigwilliestyles

Richard, Bernie, James, Joe, Fred, and now Etta...to a cultural icon: RIP Etta, those who missed you, missed a lot.

January 20, 2012 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
  5. banasy©

I saw this and immediately thought of the song "At Last".
    What a voice!

Rest in peace, Etta.

January 20, 2012 at 5:46 pm | Report abuse |
  6. sabinabarnes

Amazing voice she was an icon, we will miss etta the sound of her voice. Cant be replaced, each person has a different sound ,and so we say good bye, and god bless ettas family.

January 20, 2012 at 10:46 pm | Report abuse |
  7. WE THE PEOPLE

I PLEGE ALIGENCE TO THE FLAG OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA FOR WHICH IT STANDS ONE NATION UNDER GOD INDIVISABLE WITH LIBERTY AND JUSTICE FOR ALL!

January 21, 2012 at 8:59 am | Report abuse |