January 22nd, 2012

Paterno's family: 'He fought hard until the end'

Read the full statement released by Joe Paterno's family:

It is with great sadness that we announce that Joe Paterno passed away earlier today.  His loss leaves a void in our lives that will never be filled.

He died as he lived.  He fought hard until the end, stayed positive, thought only of others and constantly reminded everyone of how blessed his life had been.  His ambitions were far reaching, but he never believed he had to leave this Happy Valley to achieve them.  He was a man devoted to his family, his university, his players and his community.

He has been many things in his life – a soldier, scholar, mentor, coach, friend and father.  To my mother he was and is her soul mate, and the last several weeks have shown the strength of their love.  To his children and grandchildren he is a shining example of how to live a good, decent and honest life, a standard to which we aspire.

When he decided to forego a career in law and make coaching his vocation, his father Angelo had but one command: make an impact.

As the last 61 years have shown, Joe made an incredible impact.  That impact has been felt and appreciated by our family in the form of thousands of letters and well wishes along with countless acts of kindness from people whose lives he touched.  It is evident also in the thousands of successful student athletes who have gone on to multiply that impact as they spread out across the country.

And so he leaves us with a peaceful mind, comforted by his “living legacy” of five kids, 17 grandchildren, and hundreds of young men whose lives he changed in more ways than can begin to be counted.

In lieu of flowers or gifts, the family requests that donations be made to the Special Olympics of Pennsylvania or the Penn State-THON (The Penn State IFC/Panhellenic Dance Marathon).

Filed under: Joe Paterno
  1. JoePaguy

Lee: You're a fool.

January 22, 2012 at 11:35 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Bubba™

He was the scape goat they needed to cover their a$$es..... Now he will never. Tell what happened in court... hope the others involved get what's coming... he was the fall guy......

January 23, 2012 at 12:17 am | Report abuse | Reply
  3. bigwilliestyles

Sorry, but I support Phillip 100 percent on this one. Plus, this is a blog, not a sentiments for the dead site. How in the world can a man raype boys and not be hom,o,s,e,xual? I saw no reports on him having forced s,e,x with girls. This man Sandusky was a monster. Allowed to spread his sick twisted perversions for 10 years after he had been caught TWICE; your beloved Paterno must not have been too bright. Every time I play the scenario out in my head, my actions taken involve doing everything I can to make sure this slimer is nowhere near my players, not giving him free run of the facilities, there-by helping him bait his trap. And no, I have never been the victim of such a man, thank God.

January 23, 2012 at 1:30 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Bubba™

Joe Pa was not accused of doing anything to any boys .... he didn't follow up on the accusation his assistant made..... that's it...he is not suspected of doing anything to anyone and he is not suspected of seeing anything personally ..... But the world will never know now... he is will never have the chance to defend himself..... so letI him R.I.P.

January 23, 2012 at 2:51 am | Report abuse |
    • leeintulsa

I've pretty much said what I have to say about paterno. Done there.

What concerns me now is posters here. Why does it matter to you if this p e d o p hile sandusky was h omos xual or not? I put it to you that it matters not one iota what his s xual preference was. What matters is he was attacking children.

bigwilliestyles, I kinda think you were trolled here.. cuz I can't believe the simple prejudice and ugly hate that your post seems to convey came from you.. I know we don't always see eye to eye, but it matters to you whether or not this criminal was h omos xual? Are you trying to say it makes it worse? How could it be worse?

Maybe if he killed somebody.. It doesn't matter if he was into huge ga ng bngs, 10 guys, 1 girl.. It doesn't matter if he rode the highways, stopping in every rest area for a taste of the region.. It doesn't matter if he's been married for 30 years and has 10 kids..

Why would you choose to make his s xual pre ference even part of the issue? Do you think only gays mo lest young boys? So what do straights do, mo lest young girls? Are you straight? So.. logically...

Come on, leave the hate in the 50s.. It serves no good purpose.

January 23, 2012 at 7:13 pm | Report abuse |
  4. rooney©

RIP JoePa. My condolences to his family and everyone affected.

January 23, 2012 at 1:49 am | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Philip

I see the old enablers here confuse sin with crime, and anger with hatred. Classic dysfuctional thinking. .

January 23, 2012 at 7:04 am | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Petty Officer Botti

Please have some taste in your comments Mr. Paterno did what he was supposed to do. There are certain procedures that you have to abide by when it comes to topics as what Sandusky did. In work places and even in the military. You can't go on a one man crusade, and he did what was right if he was wrong he would have been fired and alot of other things could of happened. Mr. Paterno has sacrificed much and did not ask for anything in return, those are the examples of a great man and if you can't see that I feel sorry for you. It is your right of course and I'm overseas protecting that right for you but ignorance has no excuse and no right. I regret not being able to go to Penn State my life led me towards the Navy but I would of thought of no higher honor than to play football for Mr. Paterno and my thoughts and prayers go out to him and his family and those with enough honor and respect to recognize and be kind to his family through what I could only assume would be hell. Rest in peace Mr. Paterno your legacy will NOT be tarnished.

January 23, 2012 at 7:54 am | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Trinka

How is expressing sympathy for this man and his family enabling? Is that another catch-phrase for "I don't agree with anyone but my own opinion"?

The family of Joe Paterno has my sympathy for their loss.

January 23, 2012 at 8:09 am | Report abuse | Reply
  8. BONA SARA

The evil that men create returns to their own door.

January 23, 2012 at 9:04 am | Report abuse | Reply
  9. banasy©

I just saw on the news that the Westboro Baptist is going to show and and protest at his funeral.
    I trust that will make people extremely happy.

January 23, 2012 at 9:11 am | Report abuse | Reply
  10. kyle788

It seems to me like the amount of people who could have a legitimate reason to mourn his death is actually pretty small: former players, alumni, colleagues, family, friends. The only reason his death is a headline is because of his recent controversy. It is an insult to these people to make the whole nation pretend to care about his death. I'm not trying to make light of it but seriously this whole "TRAGEDY BEFALLS SOMEONE SOMEWHERE" type of sensationalist journalism is an insult to the profession, readers and legitimate grievers.

January 23, 2012 at 11:07 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • banasy©

I agrre, kyle.

It is an insult to his family to make it headlines so people can air their hatred for acts someone else did.

January 23, 2012 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  11. JLR

Where's your coverage of THON, CNN?????????????????????????????? #THON 2012 – For The Kids!

February 19, 2012 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse | Reply