Gotta Watch: Surviving an avalanche
An aerial view of an avalanche in the Swiss Alps.
January 24th, 2012

Gotta Watch: Surviving an avalanche

People in the Northwest are digging out from major storms this week. Some are taking advantage of the fresh powder, but winter sports come with risks. When things go wrong, they can go very wrong. Watch these incredible survival stories from athletes who were caught in avalanches.

Snowmobile scare – A group of buddies in Washington State headed out for a fun day on snowmobiles but got a major scare, instead. One man was caught in an avalanche and was unable to move or breathe under the snow. His friend captured the whole thing on his helmet cam.

Skiing nightmare – Watch this incredible first-person helmet-camera video from a skier who was caught in an avalanche. Buried under several feet of snow, he was uncovered in a matter of minutes. Check out why his friends were able to locate him.

Buried on a glacier – A skier in Washington State set out early one morning to ski from the summit of Ingraham Glacier. He never made it to the top. Instead, he was buried by an avalanche. Watch the videos he took that day and hear his chilling tale.

Extreme avalanche – This skier didn’t just get caught in an avalanche. He created one. This extreme skier in the French Alps created his own avalanche and rode it straight off a cliff for a thrill. See how he made it through the daredevil feat.

Post by:
Filed under: Gotta Watch • Natural Disasters • Nature • Skiing • Sports
  1. Jimbo

Sarah, please stay in the safe city where you belong. You do not deserve to witness the beauty and greatness the humbling mountains have to offer.

January 24, 2012 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Arnab

Check for a new movie by Anson Fogel and Cory Richards. In the classic style of adventure storytelling Richards shares his tale of three climbers in his award-winning film ‘Cold’.

January 24, 2012 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Seriously

You must be dense as they come. Why would you make such a remark and like Jimbo said, you obviously have never seen the beauty in which a mountain or snow has to offer. Living in the city and cubicle must have gotten to your head.

January 24, 2012 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Krystian

Schools can not teach that the Earth obtirs the sun! Outrageous. And they can teach, gravity keeps us glued to the floor. Schools to teach blasphemy!, What is revealed to some extent objectively, on the basis of all available data. If well-established theory proves to be defective or not true, it has been fixed or bashing theists can Lehrplan.Bis mountains of evidence supporting evolution with something more comprehensive than not God they are going to ignore if it's education curriculum kommt.Holen shape you? Also make the evolution and science does not teach kids if you do not believe in scientific theories, you can go to hell. If you choose not to believe in science, you will probably end up working only in industry or service or fast-food analyst, with all the other stupid people. Oh wait, that's hell.

February 13, 2012 at 9:58 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Lo

Sarah's weird.

As for the the avalanche, it seemed kind of lacklustre...under a foot of snow maybe....footage not dramatic enough. I'll take your word for it CNN.

January 24, 2012 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • snow

this is not an avalanche, it is called a "sluff" or snow slide. Very Very different things.

January 24, 2012 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  5. DeeNYC

black people don't ski I guess.

January 24, 2012 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Kontious

I love Skiing and Snowboarding...it's my favorite thing to do. I'm Black, and how do you know Sarah is Black? She could be Latina, or Middle Eastern, Indian or Asian. Anyway, Snowboarding is mad fun, you should try it.

January 24, 2012 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
  6. paullubbock

You know, it is the sound and vibration of snowmobiles that usually trigger the avalanche, so being surprised and eventually caught but an avalanche is ridiculous. This isn't news or shocking just lack of common sense. I'm sure the folks snowmobiling already know the risks and should be prepared for consequences. If not, they shouldn't be doing it.

January 24, 2012 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • André

It's not the sound ! It's the disturbance of the snow base.
      What you just said is simply a myth.
      And the MythBusters already checked that myth and it was busted.

January 24, 2012 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Iceman

Climnbing knows no boundries even race so put up on a mountain or shut up ive been climbing for many years and will never stop regardless

January 24, 2012 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Lindu

I think cdehlrin have the scientific knowledge, together with what you believe and hear what others think, tell the child that they believe only what makes sense, they zuxx

February 13, 2012 at 8:33 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Kontious

@Sarah,
    I'm black. Why would you say something so ignorant? I love snowboarding and I'm from Detroit! I am very connected to my culture. I've been shot at by the Klu Klux Klan, I can't even count how many times I have been in altercations with those who call me the "N' word. Still, some of my closest friends are white, and they would die for me, and I for them. How can we expect our nation and the people in it to grow up, if you aren't willing to yourself? I don't know what nationality you are, but whatever it is, God created man, and he created us all equally. Love your neighbor Miss. Love is the only answer.

January 24, 2012 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. chrissy

@ kontious, i wanta know where the heck you found a place to snowboard in detroit? I live here now but am from northern mich and havent found any such place. Not that i doubt you just wanta know where?

January 24, 2012 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. banasy©

I love to snow ski.
    I haven't in a while...but I love to do it.
    Snowboarding? Bock bock! I'm too chicken, I'll admit, to even try.

January 24, 2012 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Great Loss

How many liberals here blame it's chuck norris fault?

January 24, 2012 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • banasy©

Chuck Norris? You cons all know it's Rush Limbaugh's fault.

January 24, 2012 at 6:31 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Leucadia Bob

Leo Rising-

January 24, 2012 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Iceman

Now camped out on an undisclosed point on rainier cant wait until morning to check snow( depth hoar) conditions to began climbing hopefully tommorrow i bid you all farewell on your level lander quest, while im enjoying mother nature !

January 25, 2012 at 1:18 am | Report abuse | Reply