Obama to lay out proposals, address economy in State of the Union
President Obama's State of the Union speech will describe a "blueprint for an economy that's built to last," sources say.
January 24th, 2012

Obama to lay out proposals, address economy in State of the Union

In his last State of the Union speech before the 2012 election, President Barack Obama will pitch a series of proposals and will address the topics of economic inequality and how a government should ensure "a fair shake for all."

The president has proposed such steps previously as part of his administration's efforts to spur the nation's still sluggish recovery from the recession.

Democratic sources briefed on the draft speech say it will describe a "blueprint for an economy that's built to last."

That blueprint will focus on manufacturing, energy, education and middle-class values, according to a video released on the Obama's campaign website and Democratic sources who have been briefed on the address.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Barack Obama • Politics • U.S.
  1. Joey Isotta-Fraschini©™

"A fair shake for all" is a terrific slogan for Obama's reelection campaign.
    It's my responsibility to decide which candidate will give the best shake in my direction.
    That's the way democracy was always intended to function.

January 24, 2012 at 5:03 am | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Joey Isotta-Fraschini©™

The People IS the nation.
    Don't look at our government to see what's wrong with our economy: look at the People.

January 24, 2012 at 5:12 am | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Scottish Mama

@Joey- look at the people who are in the govenment or look at the people who should be watching the government? I think a fair shake is a level playing field. liberty for all.

January 24, 2012 at 6:10 am | Report abuse | Reply
  4. hamsta

ya its just gonna be more of the same-blame someone else for the problems obama is creating.when the blame bush thing wore itself out the tea party caught the blame.when that stopped working it became congress and now it will be the peoples fault.before you can blame the people the government needs to stop ignoring the people.we didnt want obamacare,they forced it through with the style of a used car salesman.(you have to let us pass the bill so you know whats in it.)this crap about immigration had the white house shut down with a flood of phone calls and emails.the government chose to ignore the people.so who is obama going to blame next?

January 24, 2012 at 6:24 am | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Joey Isotta-Fraschini©™

@ Scottish Mama:
    Good morning.
    You know that I am a strong advocate of liberty for all.
    You also know that, to me, liberty comes with the freedom to fail.
    It is in the level-playing-field aspect of liberty that you and I may arrive at a disagreement.
    As a detail, I believe that a fundamental flaw in the (USA) People's CURRENT mentality has been caused by self-serving talk and actions of past government officials that led the People to believe in the enti-
    tlement to our daily free lunch.

January 24, 2012 at 6:34 am | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Mmmmm ♔♕

...im hanging with c-span for the state of the union address.

January 24, 2012 at 6:50 am | Report abuse | Reply
  7. MaCafee

Awww...is some jealous of the Joey has....Mmmmmm?

January 24, 2012 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Latrina

you tell em my brotha from a diffrent motha

January 24, 2012 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. banasy©

Must have lost something in translation, JIF.
    I keep my stage name, but when people change theirs so often I can't keep up, and I comment not knowing who they are, (not that it matters), I often get in trouble...
    It matters not.

January 24, 2012 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. fernace

Enti.tlement Programs are bought & payed for by citizens tax $! It is meant to be a backup plan when needed & not by any means free! My problem is that too many of our officials feel if the $ is in the govt. coffers it's theirs to do w/as they wish! There is a small segment of people who live "off the govt." permanently, some need it, others are taking advantage! To say that there are millions of people who WANT to live like that, is being ignorant of the excruciating process of getting help in the 1st place & then having to constantly worry that next month you might be cut off! Does that sound pleasant to any1! I would so much rather be autonomous, make my own $ & decisions, but due to the economy & lack of substantial income, I'v had to swallow my pride & get in the foodstamp line, along w/ too many other hardworking citizens who find themselves in my position! I'm backing Obama because so far I see no candidate but him pulling for the average American!!

January 24, 2012 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. bobcat (in a hat)©

I've got to agree fernace. President Obama realyy seems to care about plight of the average citizen. I have so far been fortunate enough not to have to seek assistance, but I feel it should be there when needed. Too many people have been put out of their jobs and homes through no fault of their own. To turn your back on them now would be criminal.

January 24, 2012 at 5:56 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. hamsta

Just going to be more of the same,false promises and someone to blame for previous false promises.he cant blame bush anymore so then it was the tea party.he cant blame the tea party anymore so then it was congress.when he cant blame congress anymore who will it be?the citizens?i say ya its the citizens fault,for putting his sorry unamerican @ss in office.

January 24, 2012 at 6:58 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. the Prophet

Convincing the American people of what? that the middle class are broke and subordinated, burdened with taxes. Americans stop paying your property tax, stop paying your sales tax local and state, stop paying income tax and you will have income to live and survive. The Roma Empire collapsed because the government overburdened the class, America will collapse one day economically period it is its destiny.

January 24, 2012 at 7:57 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  14. the Prophet

Obama will not be reelected, the next election will stall that all...

January 24, 2012 at 8:01 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  15. the Prophet

American middle class like myself are now the slaves of America

January 24, 2012 at 8:05 pm | Report abuse | Reply