January 29th, 2012

Oakland's mayor says city is fed up after hundreds of Occupy activists arrested

Municipal employees in Oakland worked Sunday to clean up damage they said was caused hours earlier by Occupy protesters, "possibly 400" of whom were arrested for breaking into a YMCA and City Hall and challenging police.

Oakland Police Officer Johnna Watson said authorities were still trying to determine exactly how many people had been detained, with earlier reports putting the figure at over 100 people. She described what transpired as "one of the largest mass arrests that we have seen in the city," adding that "it would be fair to say that we're looking easily at over 300, possibly 400" arrests.

Mayor Jean Quan took reporters through City Hall on Sunday, pointing to walls where graffiti had already been painted over and other areas of garbage, vandalism and destruction that she said had been left by protesters.

"I ran out of patience a long time ago," Quan said of the Occupy Oakland activists. "We're tired of some people - and, again, it's a faction of the Occupy movement - using Oakland as their playground."

"I think people are really angry," she added later, speaking about residents' feelings toward the demonstrators.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: California • Occupy Wall Street • U.S.
  1. banasy ©

You know that I'm an OWS supporter...well, at least the *idea* in which OWS was born.

This is a perversion of what those ideas used to be.
    Burning our flag.
    They can go somewhere else, then, if the idea of living here is so abhorrant to them.
    I agree; they deserve everything they have coming to them.

January 29, 2012 at 6:07 pm | Report abuse |
  2. bobcat (in a hat) ©

I also accepted their basic concept in the beginning, But now, I really don't know how I feel about it now. If they want to get their credibility back, they had better reign in this radical element that has infiltrated their ranks.

January 29, 2012 at 6:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy ©

It's not doing their cause any good to be seen as the same types of people who protested in the 60's...
      Because they're not!
      That being said, the tactics being used need to be scrapped, and quickly, lest they lose all credibility that the other cities have worked so hard to achieve...

January 29, 2012 at 6:30 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Joey Isotta-Fraschini©™

I used the word "communism" long ago in regard to the Occupy Movement, although I considered their protests initially.
    I have now been fed up with this communist uprising for a very long time. The USA is a free country.
    If you don't like it, get out.

January 29, 2012 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Joey Isotta-Fraschini©™

There is no way that I want to see Wall Street melt like the Wicked Witch while little Judy watches. There is corruption in everything, including the Baptist Church.

January 29, 2012 at 6:38 pm | Report abuse |
  5. bobcat (in a hat) ©

Oooooohhh. This has got me so riled I can't think straight. I guess I'll take my own advice.
    Breathe in, Breathe out. Enhance the calm. Aaaahhh/

January 29, 2012 at 6:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy ©

Ohhhhhhmmmmmmmm. Ohhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmm.
      Embrace the calm.

January 29, 2012 at 7:02 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Joey Isotta-Fraschini©™

@ banasy:
    You are not a communist. I don't know who said that. I think that I am more fiscally conservative than you, but we both fall close to the center on the continuum.
    For those who delight in calling me a bigot because I am not a communist, and certainly not a stupid communist who confuses social issues with economic systems, I am possibly the most socially progressive and liberal writer who contributes to this board.
    I am not even prejudiced against white folks.

January 29, 2012 at 6:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy ©

I see they are deleting all of my posts.
      That's all right.
      Perhaps that will calm fears that I can smite people with my magic wand.

January 29, 2012 at 7:51 pm | Report abuse |
  7. hamsta

yes they are the same kind of radicals as we had in the 60s and so is your president.they are just wolves in sheeps clothing.welcome to the real world.they lied to you when they said they were supporting good for everyone.

January 29, 2012 at 6:58 pm | Report abuse |
  8. hamsta

kinda funny everyone here demonizes the tea party.a guilty conscience reveals itself.your beloved occupy movement has done a good job in ruining your credibility with their communist ways and their criminal behavior.

January 29, 2012 at 7:06 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Jj

They are ruffling too many feathers out there in Oakland. Wouldn't surprise me one bit if those idiots who burn flags start gettin picked off by a sniper. Just sayin nothing good will come of this...

January 29, 2012 at 7:16 pm | Report abuse |
  10. TORI ©

I have remained neutral on the OWS movement until I saw a video of the American flag being burned and walked on by those dirty looking slobs. My Dad is extremely Liberal and was active in OWS protests in Denver. I called him to take his temperature on this and he said it "made him sick" to watch the flag being desecrated. The OWS movement just lost a brilliant mind and supporter in my Dad.

January 29, 2012 at 7:31 pm | Report abuse |
  11. banasy ©

Good evening, TORI ©.

I am never, ever in favor of desecrating our flag.
    This nauseates me, as well.
    It makes me angry when I see other countries burning our flag...and it really infuriates me to see our own citizens do it...
    this is NOT letting freedom ring!
    Disgraceful.

January 29, 2012 at 7:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • TORI ©

Hello @banasy© I am in agreement with you on this. Conceptually I supported this movement but with most good ideas the perversion kicks in as in Oakland.

January 29, 2012 at 7:43 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Jeff Frank (R-Ohio)LRight Wing Insanity"

You show me one thing in this country that is "free", and I'll show you where someone at sometime had to pay for it. Doesn't matter what it is....somebody had to work to pay for it. In reality, these individuals probably couldn't wait to be caught, because now they're a financial burden to the taxpayers, paying for thier room and board.

January 29, 2012 at 7:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Portland tony

FREEDOM!

January 29, 2012 at 8:18 pm | Report abuse |
  13. banasy ©

What are you talking about?

January 29, 2012 at 7:42 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Jeff Frank (R-Ohio)LRight Wing Insanity"

They should of arrested the whole truckloads of 'em, and simply drop them off in the mojave desert. There....fend for yourselves.

January 29, 2012 at 7:44 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Portland tony

This confrontation in Oakland defies the wisdom of the saying 'any publicity is good publicity'. What a waste!

January 29, 2012 at 7:45 pm | Report abuse |