January 30th, 2012

China cracks down on unrest ahead of Tibetan holiday

Thousands of Chinese security forces have flooded into an ethnically Tibetan area of southwestern China following large protests that led to violent, sometimes deadly, clashes with the police.

Amid anger and despair over Chinese rule, a series of recent self-immolations by Tibetans has spurred the unrest in the region ahead of the Tibetan New Year next month.

In an effort to contain the situation, China has sent in reinforcements to try to impose order on the scenic Ganzi Tibetan Autonomous Prefecture in Sichuan Province. State media has also reported that outside rights groups and the exiled Tibetan spiritual leader, the Dalai Lama, are to blame for the troubles.

The violence appears to be the worst between ethnic Tibetans and the Chinese authorities since 2008, when deadly unrest in the Tibetan capital, Lhasa, left at least 22 people dead.

Four hours west of the Sichuan capital of Chengdu, on the craggy mountain roads leading to Ganzi, police officers stopped all cars trying to enter the region over the weekend, checking identification papers and turning away reporters and those with foreign passports.

When asked why CNN reporters were not allowed to pass, a police officer said: "Don't you know what has happened there? It's not safe and you must leave."

Chinese residents in a local village near the checkpoint told CNN that police forces arrived Thursday, two days earlier than expected because of the tense situation in Ganzi, which borders Tibet and is home to a population that is nearly 80% ethnically Tibetan.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: China • Tibet • World
  1. Joey Isotta-Fraschini©™

If the mentality of Tibet's people had included a penchant for strong defense rather that a reliance of the advocacy of peace and even a general misunderstanding of the term, "Middle Road," in Mahayana Buddhism, when the wolf of communism tore down Tibet's beautiful door, Tibet might have been able to repel the wolf, if not able to kill it.

January 30, 2012 at 6:25 am | Report abuse |
  2. Joey Isotta-Fraschini©™

I meant "rather than," not "rather that."

January 30, 2012 at 7:33 am | Report abuse |
  3. banasy ©

The wolf should have just left the peaceful Tibetans alone.
    They were a threat to no one.

January 30, 2012 at 7:36 am | Report abuse |
    • Joey Isotta-Fraschini©™

The wolf does not come to your house because you threaten it. The wolf comes to eat your food, or better yet to eat you, and then sleep by your nice warm fireplace.

January 30, 2012 at 8:02 am | Report abuse |
  4. Joey Isotta-Fraschini©™

@ banasy:
    I do not see the advance of communism and of unnecessary socialism as a reaction to threats or to oppression. I see both of those economic systems as manifestations of the survival instinct that disregard the concept of theft.

January 30, 2012 at 8:26 am | Report abuse |
  5. gung hoe

Mornin JIFFER and the QUEEN Love your analasise of the wolf jif.The people here dont realize the freedoms that they have

January 30, 2012 at 8:39 am | Report abuse |
  6. gung hoe

If you guys have any doubt as to its me. Ask the troll what part of their body is hurt

January 30, 2012 at 8:42 am | Report abuse |
  7. Joey Isotta-Fraschini©™

@ gung hoe:
    I remember the part of you that is hurt. Is it better? Are you taking pain medication?

January 30, 2012 at 8:56 am | Report abuse |
  8. banasy©

gung hoe: it does take forever to heal!
    No snow for you, I hope, for a while!

@JIF:
    Agreed...but the wolf needs to learn to hunt elswhere.
    Although it's easy to slaughter the sheep even when they put up a resistance.

January 30, 2012 at 9:11 am | Report abuse |
  9. gung hoe

Ya jif and banasy they increased my meds and gave me vicadin,think thas what made me screwy so sorry i took it out on you banasy

January 30, 2012 at 9:23 am | Report abuse |
  10. gung hoe

And ya its better stopped the vics got my mind back

January 30, 2012 at 9:26 am | Report abuse |
  11. banasy ©

gh: water under the bridge.
    No worries!

January 30, 2012 at 9:30 am | Report abuse |
  12. gung hoe

Thank you banasy.Now I know why your other half hangs on to you,your the best.also yesterday afternoon up till i said I was sorry was a troll.Sure sounded like me but was a troll I Think I know whos doing it too

January 30, 2012 at 10:00 am | Report abuse |
    • banasy ©

Report it to nsaidi. She can help.

January 30, 2012 at 10:19 am | Report abuse |
  13. BOMBO ©

Morning all. At some point, the rest of the world needs to stand up to China. I don't mean necessarily by military means. But I get tired of seeing get preferential trade deals over and over again with the mainly capitalist world.

Gung, I'm certainly no doctor, but I have knowm people go through a lot of the stuff you are going through. I don't know if you have a chiropractor, physical therapist, massage therapist, or some combination of the above, but these fields tend to be as much art as science. If the medical pro you have isn't giving you results, don't be afraid to shop around, get advice from other people who have had success with some other professional.

January 30, 2012 at 11:07 am | Report abuse |
  14. gung hoe

@nsaidi sunday afternoon somebody was trolling me.I think you can tell the difference by their e mail please ban them from cnn blogs thanx

January 30, 2012 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |
    • nsaidi

Thanks, will look.

January 30, 2012 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
  15. gung hoe

Thanx bombo last time i had this took 3months to heal just takes time.Wish ibroke it would heal faster

January 30, 2012 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |