January 31st, 2012

Teacher accused of taking elementary student 'bondage' photos

A Los Angeles elementary school teacher allegedly took bondage photos of more than two dozen students in his classroom, including some with suspected semen-filled spoons at their mouths, investigators said Tuesday.

The young students were told they were playing a game and that swallowing the semen, which they believed was liquid candy, was part of that game, Los Angeles County Sheriff's Sgt. Dan Scott told CNN Tuesday.

Mark Berndt, 61, was arrested on child molestation charges at his Torrance, California, home Monday and is being held pending $2.3 million bond in a Los Angeles County jail, according to Sheriff's Lt. Carlos Marquez.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: California • Crime • Los Angeles
  1. Mary

Omg and I found the (Felony Bail Computation worksheet) which list the a charge and next to that charge, the bail amount for said charge. The (Felony Bail Schedule), lists everything from Possesion of firearms to drugs and se xual assult... ect.
    So the reasoning to Sandusky's bail and this guys is specifically determined by a list of offenses that could be found if papers where filed by the court as to why they ruled a certain way for bail.

January 31, 2012 at 7:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy ©

That would vary by state.
      So, my earlier statement still stands...Cali has it going ON, bail-wise.

January 31, 2012 at 8:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mary

@ banasy, I didn't say that bail is the same in every state. And I think that most know that that it varies from different jurisdictions.

January 31, 2012 at 8:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mary

Judging from the (Felony Bail Schedual) of California I saw; each charge has a different fixed bail amount attached to it. So Depending on which charges and how many, the total bail can be different from defendant to defendant. If the decision is filed for bail then we could compare but I haven't found that and the real issue is the charges and what kinda sentence they carry...If he's found guilty.

January 31, 2012 at 9:00 pm | Report abuse |
  2. L.A. Law

Well......it is afterall L.A.

January 31, 2012 at 7:40 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Mary

Ok, I'm loving this! I get to actually reply like I know of friend of mine would to your post. ;)
    Get a clue! It's not JUST L.A. these sick perv acts happen all over... every day.

January 31, 2012 at 7:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • L.A. Law

:-) lol yeah but L.A. has more sicko people there. After all isn't that where the "impasse" casting couch" was born?

January 31, 2012 at 8:05 pm | Report abuse |
  4. heather

I don't think that one adult should be allowed with children anymore. There should always be at least two present. And all places were children are watched over for payment should have camaras. Schools, daycares, hospitals. And they should all be on the web so parents could check in. There could be a key so that only parents have access. Insurance companies could reqtire them. If anyone could force that to happen, it is certainly the insurance companies.

January 31, 2012 at 8:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy ©

Brillant idea!
      Well done.

January 31, 2012 at 8:42 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Mary

Certainly! Yet that would be consider "child's play" by today's standards.

January 31, 2012 at 8:11 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Mary

Heather! I couldn't agree with you more. Yet lets remember, Parents hands aren't always being PARENTS as well. I believe for those parents that are not bringing horror to their kids lives as well are the ones you have in mind. In that case I concur.

January 31, 2012 at 8:16 pm | Report abuse |
  7. clearmind

When I hear about stuff like this I always wondering How long has this been going on and What else has been done in regards to this teacher. Sorry, but in my opinion, abortion was just the beginning of a child having no value to some people.

January 31, 2012 at 8:55 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Mary

@ clearmind, Good point! The defendant is 61 yrs old and could not have taken this up so late in life. I'm thinking there where a lot out there who where either blind or looked the other way because of their own lude acts.

How are you doing BTW?

January 31, 2012 at 9:04 pm | Report abuse |
  9. clearmind

@Mary all is good here. Pray it is well with you too!

January 31, 2012 at 9:08 pm | Report abuse |
  10. banasy ©

Mary, I'm not arguing with you...I just wish Pennsylvania had the same strict kind of bail standards California has.
    Sandusky would be in jail right now.
    That is all I was trying to say.
    Sorry you took it the wrong way.

January 31, 2012 at 9:16 pm | Report abuse |
  11. banasy ©

@clearmind:
    Hello, Sir!
    How are you doing these days?
    I hope you and your children are doing well!

January 31, 2012 at 9:19 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Mary

I wouldn't dream of complaining after reading this article. Others have had it MUCH harder than I in life.
    How are the kids dealing with their mom gone now? I hope the pain has eased up a little.

January 31, 2012 at 9:19 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Mary

No not taking it that way, I just wanted to make myself clear; hence CLEAR MIND! ha ha ;)

January 31, 2012 at 9:20 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Mary

California compared to Pennsylvania? Maybe we have our answer right there! The crimes and amount of crime maybe a factor in the amount of bail for each charge? Hmmm

January 31, 2012 at 9:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy ©

Apparently Pennsylvania does not in the heinous crime of child molestation and raype.
      I would think the higher bail is not as much of a factor in occurance as much as they place a higher value on a child's welfare, hmmmmm?
      Perhaps some of these laws should be changed regarding bail in other states to reflect the absolute seriousness of the crimes against children.
      I should think that any child advocate would agree.

January 31, 2012 at 11:02 pm | Report abuse |
  15. bigwilliestyles

These guys seem to be everywhere. "Oh the children!"

January 31, 2012 at 11:24 pm | Report abuse |