Overheard on CNN.com: Politics of Komen's Planned Parenthood reversal
Readers are debating the politics of charities and funding for health services.
February 3rd, 2012

Overheard on CNN.com: Politics of Komen's Planned Parenthood reversal

One of the most talked-about stories this week has been about the Susan G. Komen for the Cure Foundation's earlier decision not to renew part of its longstanding partnership with Planned Parenthood. The foundation has now reversed its decision, much to the applause of some of our readers.

Komen Foundation reverses funding decision of Planned Parenthood

This reader, who said he is a doctor, wrote that he supported this decision.

RationalDoc: "As a primary care physician, I am proud of the Komen organization for their correct decision to continue to support the preventive women's health services that are provided by Planned Parenthood. Too many misinformed people mistakenly demonize Planned Parenthood, as 98% of the services they provide are preventive health services including cancer screening and birth control for women, often lower income women with limited access to health care, and only 2% of their services are abortion-related, and no federal money is used for that small part of what they do. Planned Parenthood prevents unintended pregnancies, thereby reducing the need for abortion, a more positive impact on our attempts to reduce abortion than anything the vigilante anti-abortion people have done. In fact, many of the anti-abortion people are also against sex education in schools. Go figure."

Another reader said they were wondering about the system in place for health care service funding.

lalizzie: "While I disagree with the Komen foundation's original decision to repeal funding to Planned Parenthood, it is totally within their rights as a nonprofit to decide which causes it would like to fund. This whole fiasco also begs the broader question; should we be relying on nonprofit organizations like Komen to fund public health services?"

But this person said the decision is within Komen's rights.

weissdog: "Yet another example of how abortion is politicized. Why shouldn't Komen be able to support what and whom they want? They are not a taxpayer subsidized organization and are not a government entity. Why does anyone other than their leadership have any say here?"

This reader said Planned Parenthood helped their family.

eagleyes4u: "Planned Parenthood saved my mother's life with an early breast-cancer detection, she's with us today because of their amazing Doctors and medical staff. I'm so angry at Komen for injecting politics into woman's healthcare! When will these religious zealots stop injecting their extreme views on the rest of us and our bodies! Planned Parenthood continues to serve communities with essential life-saving services and I will forever be grateful for there existence. As for Komen I will no longer donate, work or walk for them ever again."

Many readers wanted to talk about the politics of abortion, and this reader said they don't believe in it and then explained why.

Opethfan: "There's always going to be two sides to a discussion. I'll just keep believing in myself and my personal decisions. I don't believe in abortion. It's wrong at every level. Yes, it's your body but that doesn't give you the right to kill. Use double protection if you're going to sleep around. Take some responsibility for the wrong choices you are making. What's the difference in killing a baby at the fetal stage and killing a baby at birth, or thereafter? There really is no difference."

Some commenters mentioned that they felt birth control is OK, but abortion is not.

MindLikeWarp: "Birth control is perfectly fine. No human being is created. Once a human being is created, terminating it is murder."

Some called for a gentler tone of discussion.

Stoshie: "I am against abortion. But I am not arrogant, angry, or intolerant enough to force my views on anyone else. I also know what Planned Parenthood does, and it goes far, far beyond just providing abortions. Those ignorant fools who think that is all Planned Parenthood does are too stupid to make relevant comments about Planned Parenthood."

Others wrote that they opposed to the contribution scheme in general.

TinMan57: "They won't see any donations from me. One charity should not be donating to another. Just morally and ethically wrong!"

But some thought they wouldn't have contributed to Komen anyway.

OvernOut: "We give to organizations that support persons with neurological disorders, so neither of these groups. I thought SGK was too big, anyway, and took funds from other worthy causes. I'm starting to think the same about the 'red dress' stuff, too. These organizations are all about 'branding' or selling pink and red stuff, not actually helping people in need."

This person was very happy about the decision.

artichokes: "Thank goodness Komen Foundation reversed it's decision. Why is it that for the last 50 years conservative bible thumping white men try to control women 's rights? Women must stand strong for their personal choices. Dear conservatives, I make my own life choices, not you! Planned Parenthood is helping women with their health issues. Leave the organization alone!"

Share your opinion in the comments area below and in the latest stories on CNN.com. Or sound off on video via CNN iReport.

Post by:
Filed under: Abortion • Health • Overheard on CNN.com • Politics
  1. Pete/Ark

see...complaining DOES work and pointing your finger and saying "see there are the stupid people" helps. Now they're backtracking faster than Mitt Romney.

February 3, 2012 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Jj

Planned parenthood started this whole thing by giving advice to supposed pimps on how to get unlimited abortions for their supposed prostitutes. Why is that never mentioned???

February 3, 2012 at 5:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • louise dotter

Because it never happened. " Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own FACTS!"

February 4, 2012 at 1:41 am | Report abuse |
  3. Jj

Why is it never mentioned that this whole thing got started because PP employees were giving advice to supposed p*mps on how to get unlimited abortions for their supposed ho's???

February 3, 2012 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy ©

Why mention something that is completely untrue, Jj?
      It is not mentioned because it is totally fabricated...the pimps were giving their ...um...employees coat-hanger "solutions" since there have been pimps and hoes.
      Why would one try to paint a women's health organization in such a way?
      Do you even *know* what PP does?

February 4, 2012 at 3:56 am | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

It's not mention because it is completely fabricated, and to report on it would be reporting falsehoods.

February 4, 2012 at 4:24 am | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

thisvisvthe third time I'm going to say this, and I'm sure that I'll get deleted again:
      It isn't reported on because it is untrue, and to get information from a youtube video just silly.
      I saw the video; I also saw the video of the dude ranting about the maggots from Mars infiltrating is brain.
      Neither are credible.

February 4, 2012 at 5:16 am | Report abuse |
  4. Joey Isotta-Fraschini©™

I support Planned Parenthood.

February 3, 2012 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mmmmm ♔♕

not surprising you would...

February 3, 2012 at 7:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Mmmmm, look beyond your anti-abortion stance for one second and you might realize that PP is an organization that provides women's health maintenance at a very low cost to the women who cannot afford these

February 4, 2012 at 4:14 am | Report abuse |
  5. bobcat (in a hat)©

Any future donations need to be made directly to the PP groups. For the Komen group to let themselves be influenced by political and religious groups is un acceptable. You either want to help the people or not. Also any future donations to cancer groups need to be made directly to the american cancer society. This go between group has shown their colors.

February 3, 2012 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • louise dotter

American Cancer Society is no better than Komen – merely covering up for the corporations that CAUSE carcinogenic pollution and CREATE and sell merchandise full of carcinogenic ingredients! Neither one will focus on ENVIRONMENTAL causes of cancer!

February 4, 2012 at 1:45 am | Report abuse |
  6. fernace

Oh no Jj! Earlier this week we agreed but today not so much! Here is the deal! These allegations are excactly that, they have in no shape or form been proven! There is a right-wing (sorry, if this is your party) effort to not just discredit PP, but to dismantle it alltogether! Guv'nah Goodhair of Tx. (where I live) is Proud of the fact that his admin has cut or ended funding to this essential healthcare facility for low income women! Many womens clinics in Tx has lost funding, not just PP & not just those that perform abortions, among their other very necessary services! This is a blatant attack on womens healthcare & if you're for that, ask the women in your life how they feel about it! Seems you're a dude so you're lucky to be able to see a doc w/out controversy & have all your issues addressed w/out politics continuously leaving your healthcare on shakey ground! Of course, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong! I know you will anyway, no1 can accuse you of NOT being outspoken!!Lol!!

February 3, 2012 at 7:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jj

Fernace I've seen the tape. I don't think I was imagining it. Ima see if it's on u tube. Hold up...

February 3, 2012 at 8:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jj

Yup found it! Utube "planned parenthood p*mp". Now you owe me an apology sir

February 3, 2012 at 8:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jj

Ma'am. Lol. Sorry

February 3, 2012 at 9:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Jj, you are seriously using this tape as a basis for your opinion?
      This is why it's not reported...because it is absolutely not credible.

February 4, 2012 at 4:29 am | Report abuse |
  7. Patience Merriman

It's now the Susan G. Komen Disgrace for the Cure.

February 3, 2012 at 7:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mmmmm ♔♕

komen is not disgraced by planned parenthood graveyard love tactics: if I can't have you no one can...pp is a thug to babies so it is not surprising it is a thug to its benefactor...as for planned parenthood the match as strucked the box and the bed is burning...I doubt if komen will renew funding to the pp-murderers in the future.

February 3, 2012 at 7:52 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Janet Pendergrass

I will not be doing race of the cure – till Komen really! supports women health – for all women. I am 57 and have no time for folks with no back bone. JP

February 3, 2012 at 10:22 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Rita

I am so glad! The one thing we don't need is more unloved abused children and if Planned Parenthood will prevent any of them, I am all for it. Thank you Komen.

February 3, 2012 at 10:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mmmmm ♔♕

...prevent child abuse by murdering the child in its womb...you make no sense at all...

February 3, 2012 at 11:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Mmmmm, you are obviously a man, because if you seriously think that PP is only about abortions, you know nothing about women or their health issues at all.

February 4, 2012 at 4:36 am | Report abuse |
    • Dott

Preventing a pregnancy is the way to go BUT if a woman finds her birth control has failed she should head to the nearest abortion clinic. As some one stated removing a fertilized egg from a woman's womb is not murder any more than eating a chicken egg is eating a chicken. Some people are really dense.

February 5, 2012 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Robyn Wakefield-Murphy

I'm proabortion, but the chicken analogy is not a good one. The eggs you buy in the grocery store are not fertilized. Therefore there is no chicken conception.

February 6, 2012 at 9:13 pm | Report abuse |
  10. fernace

Jj I don't owe you an appology! I stick by my initial stance, that this is a trumped up charge involving 1 particular clinic! Can you deny that Republicans are trying to dismantle this healthservice for lowincome women? U-tube that & get back to me!!

February 3, 2012 at 11:04 pm | Report abuse |
  11. TheCommitteeBoat

Opethfan: Because the only women who get abortions are the ones who go and "sleep around." Your comment is so ignorant that it's officially made you the first person to make me laugh in regards to this entire situation, which I never thought could be funny in any way. Thanks!

February 3, 2012 at 11:14 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Mary

Collectively through out history as a whole, Women have committed the greatest GENOCIDE !!!
    ABORTION

February 3, 2012 at 11:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

No, that would be war, but don't let that stop PP from providing the health care *you* get for free because you work in a hospital....

February 4, 2012 at 4:50 am | Report abuse |
    • Dott

Mary Me doth thinks that you are a Republican. You probably have no problem with killing innocent people, adults and babies, during war but stand against removing a mass of tissue from a woman's body that will become an unwanted abused child. Strange thinking. Plus you are probably against Federal Funding to help feed them once they are born.

February 5, 2012 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
  13. **cosmicVox *

@Mmm, do you even know what adoption entails for Any unwanted baby much less one with a disability? Just keep making Jokes,

February 4, 2012 at 1:47 am | Report abuse |
    • Mmmmm ♔♕

it appears the unborn is held to a higher cupability than the adult...no baby decides conception much less chooses to be an in-womb drug addict...how can a helpless,
      non-consenting unborn be labeled a predator deserving a death sentence and a grown-ass, consenting adult victim worthy of rescuing?

February 4, 2012 at 2:46 am | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

While your posts have good points, Mmmm, you are condemning an entire organization because of one service it offers.
      Kind of like disavowing Jesus because of one thing a person doesn’t agree with in the Bible.

February 4, 2012 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
  14. banasy©

Video doesn't lie?
    Really?
    Get real.

February 4, 2012 at 4:54 am | Report abuse |
    • leeintulsa

yeah. last night on video i saw people rooting for the giants. people will say *anything* if you put a camera in their face..

February 4, 2012 at 9:38 am | Report abuse |
    • Jj

Amazing the excuses being made. You People here couldn't see the truth if it smacked you in the face! Deny deny deny. The thing is people dont want to know the truth and you probably didnt even watch the video Excuse me while I slip back to reality

February 4, 2012 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Think, for a moment, where PP had to locate their clinics early on, then re-think your entire stance on this.

February 4, 2012 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Jeff Frank (R-Ohio) "Right Wing Insanity"

Cancer has taken a personal toll in my life. And there's only a small handfull of things I can do to benifit someone that is suffering from cancer. Helping someone with cancer, goes way beyond digging in your wallet.
    Unless you were personally involved with someone that has or had this, or held the hand of someone that even died from this. There's NO WAY you understand what sufferers go through, "so please leave". Don't come on here pretending you know anything about cancer. Thanks Jeff 😉

February 4, 2012 at 9:00 am | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Dear Jeff Frank:

You know by now the sympathy I have for you and your entire family, and the tribulations that you have gone through.
      I am a cancer survivor, as my Momala is, so I do know somewhat how you feel.
      This comment is NOT meant for you…
      PP is all about cancer prevention through early detection via PAP smears…an inconvenient truth to those who want to tar and feather an organization to further a political agenda or a personal belief

February 4, 2012 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |