Komen executive resigns after Planned Parenthood controversy
Women in Seattle, Washington, hold signs Friday after the Komen foundation's reversed a decision to not fund Planned Parenthood breast exams.
February 7th, 2012

Komen executive resigns after Planned Parenthood controversy

Karen Handel, a vice president with the Susan G. Komen for the Cure Foundation, resigned her position Tuesday following a controversy over funding for some Planned Parenthood projects, the foundation said.

Komen last week initially said it was going to stop its Planned Parenthood funding, which Planned Parenthood said largely paid for breast exams at local centers. But Komen reversed the decision on Friday after facing pressure from lawmakers and internal dissent.

Handel, the foundation's vice president for public policy, opposes abortion, which is a service that Planned Parenthood provides. Handel was the driving force behind the foundation's decision not to renew parts of its longstanding partnership with Planned Parenthood, the Huffington Post reported earlier this week after reviewing internal e-mails at the foundation.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Abortion • Health • Politics
  1. Sawnee

She should have been fired, not able to resign. I'm glad her $400,000.00 salary is no longer being paid and hopefully SBK donates that to actual research. As for me, I will no longer support, or donate to SBK Foundation, Planned Parenthood will receive my money.

February 7, 2012 at 11:14 am | Report abuse |
    • Ron Smith

I am sure they will miss you $5. I am pro-choice, but I don't have a problem with people not wanting their donations going to PP.

February 7, 2012 at 11:26 am | Report abuse |
  2. AnnaMaria44

Wise decision. She made it very clear that she did not support the funding of abortions. Most people were not aware that a portion of Komen donations were directed to PP, now the opposition to both organizations is only beginning.

February 7, 2012 at 11:14 am | Report abuse |
    • MarkinFL

The support grew much faster. I doubled the usual donation I make to Komens and gave it to PP instead. Many others have done the same.

February 7, 2012 at 11:26 am | Report abuse |
  3. tony

The Bush appointee needs to go! Along with his puppet John Roberts on what used to be our US Supreme Court.

February 7, 2012 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |
  4. Sawnee

SGK

February 7, 2012 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |
  5. GrogInOhio

Good start... Brinker next.

February 7, 2012 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |
  6. lucy2

Considering that her actions pushed them into politics, gave them a lot of bad PR, and cost them a lot of fundraising dollars, the least she could do is resign.
    Hopefully SGK will now stick to its original mission, fighting breast cancer, and stay out of politics.

February 7, 2012 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |
  7. jecd

Good that she resigned. Since when is breast cancer a political issue???????

February 7, 2012 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |
  8. Annalee Perez

She went in there with an agenda and nearly had her way. An organization concerned with women's health should have no political agenda whatsoever. Women are not pawns to be used for political gain. Planned Parenthood screens thousands of women for breast cancer every year, and provides assistance to those who cannot afford followup care. THAT is where the Komen Foundation's money went. Not to abortion, not to contraceptives. People who object to the link between these two women's health groups are blind to all that Planned Parenthood offers. Rather than do a tiny bit of research for themselves, they believe the lies told by ultra right-wingers about this fabulous organization.

The Susan G. Komen Foundation did the right thing here – they clearly gave her the choice to either step down or be dismissed. Either way, women are fortunate that she's no longer in a position of power. Let's hope it remains that way.

February 7, 2012 at 11:16 am | Report abuse |
  9. Sawnee

NO funding by SGK goes to support abortions. That's simply another right wing lie distributed to their sheeple.

February 7, 2012 at 11:16 am | Report abuse |
  10. MommaM

I agree that she should never have been a part of the organization to begin with. I for one have decided to direct my charitable giving to other agencies like the American Cancer Society. Before I leave for work I see a television add for the Komen 3 day walk, on my way into work I hear the radio ads – I now wonder just how much money is actually going to cancer research. My faith in them has been shattered.

February 7, 2012 at 11:16 am | Report abuse |
  11. Alex

Good, that's what happens when people think they can push their beliefs down others throats just because of a book/belief. Religion...last bastion for the ignorant!

February 7, 2012 at 11:16 am | Report abuse |
  12. Gibby

Finally, there is someone with some integrity in all this drama. She probably quit because she couldn’t live with herself knowing what those funds were going toward. The fact that the American taxpayer funds abortions is morally incomprehensible. Most donors believe their Komen donations are going toward breast cancer research. However, the fact is that these funds are then funneled into an organization that kills unborn babies for profit is equally disgusting. I know, I know, they also provide breast exams but Planned Parenthood performs 25% + of all the abortions in this country. I have donated to Susan G. Komen for the past three years. I won’t this year or ever again. I have also bought Girl Scout cookies every year but I won’t this year knowing that they support abortion as well.

February 7, 2012 at 11:16 am | Report abuse |
    • Rupert

I would have paid for yours.....

February 7, 2012 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
    • Sawnee

Your ignorance is showing. Learn the facts and stop spreading religious lies.

February 7, 2012 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |
    • ted

Ah Rupert, not only willing to support the killing of little babies you dont know but anyone with a different viewpoint. Your a true hero to all I am sure.

February 7, 2012 at 11:21 am | Report abuse |
    • Sabi

Year after year after year Congress investigates PP, and EVERY time they conclude without a doubt (until the next investigation is started in an election year) that ZERO federal dollars go to fund abortions. The Hyde amendment bans federal money for abortion. Federal money does fund contraception, health care, and preventative care. Do your research and stop just spouting uninformed biased retroric.

February 7, 2012 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
    • Gecul

if you don't approve of abortions, don't get one and stop claiming the moral high ground.

February 7, 2012 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Rupert

It's nice to hear good news for a change.....

February 7, 2012 at 11:16 am | Report abuse |
  14. Joe

I guess she should have Handeled it better...

February 7, 2012 at 11:16 am | Report abuse |
  15. Noel

First, Paul Wolfowitz at the World Bank, and now this. Does anyone see a pattern? To find a decent Republican administration, we have to go all the way back to Eisenhower. Its been downhill since then...

February 7, 2012 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |