Last WWI veteran, a woman, dies at 110
Florence Green celebrates her 109th birthday in 2010. She died Saturday.
February 8th, 2012

Last WWI veteran, a woman, dies at 110

The last known surviving veteran of World War I has died. Florence Green, 110, was a waitress in Britain's Royal Air Force.

"In a way, that the last veteran should be a lady and someone who served on the home front is something that reminds me that warfare is not confined to the trenches," Retired Air Vice-Marshal Peter Dye told Time.

"It reminds us of the Great War, and all warfare since then has been something that involved everyone," Dye, director-general of the RAF Museum, told Time. "It's a collective experience. ... Sadly, whether you are in New York, in London, or in Kandahar, warfare touches all of our lives."

Green was 17 when she joined the Women's Royal Air Force in 1918, two months before the armistice, the BBC reported.

She recalled her wartime experiences in a 2008 interview, retold in Time.

"I met dozens of pilots and would go on dates," she said. "I had the opportunity to go up in one of the planes but I was scared of flying. I would work every hour God sent. But I had dozens of friends on the base and we had a great deal of fun in our spare time. In many ways, I had the time of my life."

Two weeks shy of her 111th birthday, Green died in her sleep Saturday night at a home care facility in King's Lynn, Norfolk, according to the BBC.

Post by:
Filed under: United Kingdom • Veterans
  1. benji

I think I saw her in Bruce lee's "Enter the Dragon"

February 8, 2012 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Rob

I love reading the comments below. hahaha. I really do! Let's all be ignorant! Duh, what was wurld war won? Was dat on gersy shore?

February 8, 2012 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Sacha

Honestly, a woman serves her country in one of the only ways that a woman could in those years and the only comments that you can come up with are derogatory and just plain foolish. You should all be ashamed. I am not American and I have more respect for her than her own countrymen. May God Bless her

February 8, 2012 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Sean

While I agree with you for the most part you failed to notice she also isn't American. But I know you're one of the 4 million people on CNN posts that like to generalize Americans as negative

February 8, 2012 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • scrub456

Not that this excuses the insensitive comments, but the article clearly states she was part of Britain's Royal Air Force.

February 8, 2012 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Robb1371

Trust me....there are more of us that see her merit......than just a handful of bored people,with empty lives, who want to poke fun and create controversy for argumentative and reaction only.

February 8, 2012 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Greg R

It hardly gets bigger than WWI or WWII. Momentous indeed. RIP Florence and to all those who served and to those who gave their lives for their countries. Shame to all those who make fun or petty comments.

February 8, 2012 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Ken

That's what Hulk Hogan will look like at 110.

February 8, 2012 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Mike

Stand and Salute the WW I Veterans and Don't Forget ! HOOAH !!!

February 8, 2012 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. gremlinus

Thank you, Florence Green, for your service. Rest well.

February 8, 2012 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Kevin H

Ms. Green with your great service to your country and to the Western allies you make us all proud. As an US American with a grandfather who fought courageously in the trenches in WWI I salute you. Rest in peace dear Lady, rest in peace.

February 8, 2012 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Jessica

May you rest in peace, Ms. Greene. The Great War has now passed out of living memory.

February 8, 2012 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. suesark

What a sad state of affairs this world has become. The only nice thing I can say to Eric the "actor" is that he will be old someday, too....if he's lucky enough!

February 8, 2012 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. scott

I thank her for her food service, but I'm curious when the last COMBAT veteran died.

February 8, 2012 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • scott

Correction: I'm thankful for her 2 months of food service.

February 8, 2012 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • JohnRJohnson

Not all men in uniform in the European theater during World War I actually went into combat. Many more were behind the lines, in support battalions. Would you not consider any of them veterans of that war?

February 8, 2012 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • scott

Of course, but the really important veterans are those that sacrificed their lives, or pieces of their souls, for the war effort. Like I said, I thank her, but let's be honest, she only served food for a couple months IN ENGLAND.

February 8, 2012 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • zzzzzz

You're just jealous she got the chance to serve for her country, get recognized for it, and you didn't.

February 8, 2012 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • scott

Technically, she did server her country. But in reality, she served food for two months. I think it's awesome she joined at such an early age to do her part, and it's sad that she died. I just have a more grounded view of her actual contribution, and find it ironic that the last veteran to die was a waitress.

February 8, 2012 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
  11. calvin

Hey, Eric the actor, get a life and show some respect. It would have been an honor for me to have known this great lady.

February 8, 2012 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Alex

If that's a woman, why does she have a beard?

February 8, 2012 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Joe

It's probably a man. Probably faked being a woman back in the day to avoid combat and stay in the country.

February 8, 2012 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • A Canadian

Because a woman gets hairier as she ages. She just didn't bother to pluck like the rest of us.

February 8, 2012 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • John-117

Hormones get out of whack as you age.

February 8, 2012 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Stranded Northerner

I know this might come as a shock to you, but most women get very good at plucking or shaving their heavy facial hair as they age. They don't want to look like a prepubescent idiot– such as yourself.

February 9, 2012 at 2:23 am | Report abuse |
  13. palintwit

She's a teabagger's idea of the perfect milf.

February 8, 2012 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Ted Flores

For Eric and Alex, have you ever thought how sensitive her skin can be at that age? I think she is a very beautiful woman

February 8, 2012 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • John-117

She's dead. You don't have to BS everyone by saying that she is beautiful. Beauty left that women years ago, like it does for everyone. Beauty isn't forever.

February 8, 2012 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Larry

God less you Florence! RIP!

February 8, 2012 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse | Reply