Last WWI veteran, a woman, dies at 110
Florence Green celebrates her 109th birthday in 2010. She died Saturday.
February 8th, 2012

Last WWI veteran, a woman, dies at 110

The last known surviving veteran of World War I has died. Florence Green, 110, was a waitress in Britain's Royal Air Force.

"In a way, that the last veteran should be a lady and someone who served on the home front is something that reminds me that warfare is not confined to the trenches," Retired Air Vice-Marshal Peter Dye told Time.

"It reminds us of the Great War, and all warfare since then has been something that involved everyone," Dye, director-general of the RAF Museum, told Time. "It's a collective experience. ... Sadly, whether you are in New York, in London, or in Kandahar, warfare touches all of our lives."

Green was 17 when she joined the Women's Royal Air Force in 1918, two months before the armistice, the BBC reported.

She recalled her wartime experiences in a 2008 interview, retold in Time.

"I met dozens of pilots and would go on dates," she said. "I had the opportunity to go up in one of the planes but I was scared of flying. I would work every hour God sent. But I had dozens of friends on the base and we had a great deal of fun in our spare time. In many ways, I had the time of my life."

Two weeks shy of her 111th birthday, Green died in her sleep Saturday night at a home care facility in King's Lynn, Norfolk, according to the BBC.

Post by:
Filed under: United Kingdom • Veterans
  1. joe702

This is an insult to all real veterans. She was a waitress! I guess they should give her a medal for all those cups of coffee she poured too.

February 8, 2012 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • toadears

Spoken like a typical male who has never been in service. Big mouthed kid. You have no idea. Rent a movie called Stage Door Canteen and you might learn something about how much it meant/means to service people to have a little kindness and normalcy after a battle.

February 8, 2012 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Crystal

As a veteran and a woman, your comment is OUTRAGEOUS. Anyone in the service knows that those who work in service positions work the longest hours, the hardest, and receive the fewest accolades. Kudos to this lady and you need to grow up.

February 8, 2012 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
  2. toadears

I can't imagine how interesting it all was for her. Just think, she saw travel go from horse and buggy to cars to commercial airlines to a man on the moon. She saw all the wars and ridiculous border shifting our so-called leaders impose upon the people. She went from having absolutely no entertainment at home to radio to TV to cable & satellite to Internet. From having a community corner grocery wall phone to personal home phone to cell phones. All the medical and scientific discoveries. Such a nice place, Norfolk.

February 8, 2012 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Greg

Well, to be fair to the past people had books and games and socializing at home before radio, TV, and internet. But yeah, def would be amazing... I wonder how much things will have changed if I live to 100 or more(27 now)?

As it is, TCP/IP was standardized just 2 years before I was born. We've gone from small crappy color TV's to LCD backlit 3d TV's. Both of my phones combined are hundreds of times more powerful than my families first computer. Cell phones have gone from leased bricks to 20 dollar throw-aways. I can tell my phone where I want to go, and it can consistently get it right. Robots can walk and balance. Knowledge is free. Good times.

February 9, 2012 at 4:41 am | Report abuse |
  3. peggy

It's sad that people can come on here a post such derogatory comments toward a woman who lived to be 110, veteran or not. You people who made those remarks should be ashamed of yourselves for showing how immature you are.

February 8, 2012 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • mary

I posted then read other comments..
      we live in a sad world where growing old is so scary people actually fight it by deforming themselves..Looking like a freak is more acceptable than looking old.
      the fear is of dying.. People are terrified of it.. And why not.. Faith is being replaced by atheism.. All because scientists are figuring out a few things.. Screwing up others.. But its not cool to think of this as being here trhough creation.
      so I ignore the lame comments.. Its based in a real fear of what is to befall us all..
      And they are rally sad people..Who carry no weight in their nasty comments.

February 8, 2012 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kristal

ignorant immoral humans -the worse kind idiots

February 8, 2012 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Sarah

She looks great for 110. I think this, too, was a great generation. My uncle served in WWI, and each night before I sleep, I pat his military picture, adorned with American flags on the oval frame, and say, "Goodnight." May she be at peace now with the rest who gave so much for the love of country.

February 8, 2012 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Keith

Thank you for your service. My grandfather on my mother's side served in WW1 too. Lied about his age at 16 yrs old to go overseas on a "great adventure".
    I salute you.

February 8, 2012 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. octopus

Ok I still wonder why CNN lets me post here. They block me from the main article forums after I said that Condoleezza Rice is a stupid lying b**** and her justifications of the Iraq war are disturbing.

Well I'm saying it again: Condoleezza Rice is a stupid lying b**** and her justifications of the Iraq war are disturbing.

CNN, don't forget to block me here as well please.

February 8, 2012 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • banasy©

Random...

February 8, 2012 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • heirog

Agreed. And there more to be blamed for Iraqi war.

February 8, 2012 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Robert

Yes, CNN. Please ban this idiot that pollutes a nice article

February 8, 2012 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • DarthRandall

I really wish I could just walk into your house and take a dump in your living room, because that's what you do when you post your political agenda which is TOTALLY unrelated to this article. If you don't have a comment about the article itself, then DON'T POST. I don't know why so many idiots feel like it's their obligation to spew their bile in every article they read. I just wonder if it weren't anonymous, would you still be so stupid? My guess is probably yes...

Having said that, farewell Ms. Green, may you rest in peace.

February 8, 2012 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ken

You're still on here because nobody really cares that you're an idiot.

February 8, 2012 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
  7. john

she's at peace now , lets hope the world can learn something from our past

February 8, 2012 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Frank S.

All commenting on all news should be banned-because it only further editorializes the news, and dilutes any aspect of fair and impartial news reporting.

February 8, 2012 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • eb79

fair and impartial news? what's that? lol

February 8, 2012 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • USMCVeteran

Then why are you here reading and commenting Frank?

February 8, 2012 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Jack

RIP, Miss.

February 8, 2012 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. MiketheElectrician

Some people have no class. The last of the Lost Generation. A well known poem for Florence. In Flanders fields the poppies blow Between the crosses, row on row, That mark our place; and in the sky The larks, still bravely singing, fly Scarce heard amid the guns below.

February 8, 2012 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. mary

Wow,,,If that was a recent photo she sure didn't look it..
    Amazing how some people age slower than others..

February 8, 2012 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Goose

Obviously you cant read. The cake says 109 so it was taken TWO years ago.

February 8, 2012 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kirk

She's the one on the left.

February 8, 2012 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Aaron

So she looks good for a 109 year old. Talk about splitting hairs...

February 8, 2012 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Thomas

Rest in peace and thank you dear lady.

February 8, 2012 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Whatsup?

Farewell to a grand lady RIP.

February 8, 2012 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  14. palintwit

Just think. She comes from a time before baggers, birthers, trailer parks and Palins. The world was indeed a better place then.

February 8, 2012 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • cleat

GIVE IT UP LOSER.

February 8, 2012 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bob

you neglected too include yourself, palintwit, and obama...

February 8, 2012 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
  15. JAE

Here's to her service and to ALL military personnel. The bravest there is.

February 8, 2012 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse | Reply