Last WWI veteran, a woman, dies at 110
Florence Green celebrates her 109th birthday in 2010. She died Saturday.
February 8th, 2012

Last WWI veteran, a woman, dies at 110

The last known surviving veteran of World War I has died. Florence Green, 110, was a waitress in Britain's Royal Air Force.

"In a way, that the last veteran should be a lady and someone who served on the home front is something that reminds me that warfare is not confined to the trenches," Retired Air Vice-Marshal Peter Dye told Time.

"It reminds us of the Great War, and all warfare since then has been something that involved everyone," Dye, director-general of the RAF Museum, told Time. "It's a collective experience. ... Sadly, whether you are in New York, in London, or in Kandahar, warfare touches all of our lives."

Green was 17 when she joined the Women's Royal Air Force in 1918, two months before the armistice, the BBC reported.

She recalled her wartime experiences in a 2008 interview, retold in Time.

"I met dozens of pilots and would go on dates," she said. "I had the opportunity to go up in one of the planes but I was scared of flying. I would work every hour God sent. But I had dozens of friends on the base and we had a great deal of fun in our spare time. In many ways, I had the time of my life."

Two weeks shy of her 111th birthday, Green died in her sleep Saturday night at a home care facility in King's Lynn, Norfolk, according to the BBC.

Post by:
Filed under: United Kingdom • Veterans
  1. roger dodger

wait a minute, are we sure she was a chick? check out the moustache and goatee. i'm just sayin'...

February 8, 2012 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
  2. John G.

Godspeed

February 8, 2012 at 5:32 pm | Report abuse |
  3. paul

thank you ma'am for your service. may you rest with the lord.

February 8, 2012 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Denker

Awwwwwww! Get over yourself.

February 8, 2012 at 6:19 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Debbie

The people who are obsesses with the "hair" issue should focus on the service that this lady gave to the war effort. It doesn't matter, either, whether she had the "time of her life", either. She was there, supporting her country and helping the servicemen. RIP, sweet lady!

February 8, 2012 at 5:45 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Clarissa

Two months before the war ended? Get real. She got her training and the war was over. She was never in combat or in a combat situation or even near the front. The war was in France mostly not England.

February 8, 2012 at 5:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Frank

The British Empire was an allied power. Like it or not, she did serve. Well, too late now. Perhaps you can tell it to her spiritual face in the afterlife.

February 8, 2012 at 6:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • zachary

As a Cav Scout and a Iraq Combat Vet I would say by your comment nor where you because every person that served has my respect every aspect counts and she put her name on that piece of paper.

February 8, 2012 at 7:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mrs.Fizzy

Dah - do you think back in WWI era they put women on the front line?? There were no women soldiers!

February 9, 2012 at 1:48 am | Report abuse |
  6. Dave

Thank you for your service, Florence Green.

February 8, 2012 at 6:26 pm | Report abuse |
  7. MRmedicinebox

Well done mam! If it wasn't for Woman like her we might all be speaking German today!

February 8, 2012 at 6:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Curt

That was WWII...... Hitler was not in charge in WWI..

"America entered World War One on April 6th, 1917. Up to that date, America had tried to keep out of World War One – though she had traded with nations involved in the war – but unrestricted submarine warfare, introduced by the Germans on January 9th, 1917, was the primary issue that caused Woodrow Wilson to ask Congress to declare war on Germany on April 2nd. Four days later, America joined World War One on the side of the Allies."

America got into WWII near the end of it too....... Canada on the other hand fought hard from the start.

February 8, 2012 at 7:00 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Curt

Wow this chick has a beard.

February 8, 2012 at 6:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • A Paul'D

mstone and curt... let us know how it feels to be in hell later. May we be so lucky to live to be 111...... "post a comment" is the scurge of the earth. Makes me scared of who I am among.

February 8, 2012 at 9:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Curt

I don't think I'm going to hell because I pointed out this women has a beard.

February 8, 2012 at 9:48 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Curt

chick has a beard.

February 8, 2012 at 6:49 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Greyeaagle

The vindictive drivel permeating many of these adolescent reponses to this woman's wartime service is a disgrace and smacks of immaturity, inexperience and never having served. But, I suppose that's the nature of this "Post a Comment" beast! You have my pity. Life is passing you by.

February 8, 2012 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jerry101

I agree with you 100% Greyeaagle. These idiots show such a sense of immaturity it makes me shudder to think they could be our next leaders. But, given their limited brainpower, I rest with the knowledge that I would expect them to be flipping burgers or waiting at home for their next social security cheque.

February 8, 2012 at 7:49 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Jim Rousch

Thank you for your service, ma'am.

February 8, 2012 at 7:36 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Sandra LeVin

Just about a year ago (2/27/11) we lost our last WW I American war veteran, Frank Buckles, at age 110.
    Rest in peace lovely Florence Green.

February 8, 2012 at 7:51 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Nancy M. B.

I laughed at one of this lady's comments in another article I read about her. When asked how it feels to be 110, she replied, "Pretty much how it felt to be 109." As my mother used to say, "You ask a foolish question, you get a foolish answer!"

February 8, 2012 at 7:56 pm | Report abuse |
  14. james

she lived through all of mans atricitiries, a women told her story of life,she may have never seen front lines or the tragedy of war at 17 and 2 months in but she gained life experience which not one man or politician ever asked for, she probably died the great believer in freedom but the least observed too man repeats his mistakes. some one should have asked this women her political veiw or opinion over her lenght of time ,but she was one of the forgoting few who probably knew what the political party has no clue to,man needs to look back to succeeed.

February 8, 2012 at 8:19 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Patrick

In a way, it marks the passing of an era into history when the last living link to it finally dies.

February 8, 2012 at 8:21 pm | Report abuse |