February 9th, 2012

First new nuclear reactors OK'd in over 30 years

The U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission approved licenses to build two new nuclear reactors Thursday, the first authorized in over 30 years.

The reactors are being built in Georgia by a consortium of utilities led by Southern Co. They will be sited at the Vogtle nuclear power plant complex, about 170 miles east of Atlanta. The plant already houses two older reactors.

"Today marks an advancement in our nation's energy policy," Southern Company chief executive Thomas Fanning said at a press conference after the approval. "The project is on track, and our targets related to cost and schedule are achievable."

The five-member NRC voted in favor of the licenses four to one, with Chairman Gregory Jaczko dissenting.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Energy • Nuclear
  1. banasy©

Things that make one go hmmmmm.

February 9, 2012 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Mistake

Have we noy learned yet so where do they dump the waste? Hard lesson to learn

February 9, 2012 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  3. pmk1953

Reprocess the waste to reuse many components of it, thus resulting in less waste to dispose of.

February 9, 2012 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
  4. BOMBO ©

Oh, I'm sure everything will be just fine.

February 9, 2012 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Jeff Frank (R-Ohio) "Right Wing Insanity"

Isn't really something, when we're not good enough to even invite to thier grand opening. Probably can't even be within a mile of the place without being shot on site. The real "big money" is so protected. It probably glows in the dark.

February 9, 2012 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Jeff Frank (R-Ohio) "Right Wing Insanity"

"170 miles east of Atlanta, in Georgia Prefecture"

February 9, 2012 at 5:40 pm | Report abuse |
  7. chrissy

Hmmm we can build nuclear reactors and we can lose a drone, but we cant put a bullet between the eyes of the devils desciple Assad? And we have the BEST sniper force in the world! WTH? Dead children layin in a house for 4 freakin days and still no help?

February 9, 2012 at 6:27 pm | Report abuse |
  8. BOMBO©

Thanks Nicole. We try. Wish you all would do a story on how one can pass the GRE. Been trying for 8 years. I still can't pass that test. Already spent too much on study guides and tutors.

February 9, 2012 at 6:50 pm | Report abuse |
  9. fernace

I guess they haven't been paying attention to the nuclear disaster in Ja.pan, from which fall out is still ongoing! This is not a green,clean, renewable source of energy , it's a disaster waiting to happen! It's also several steps backward instead of forward! I hope this is not indicative of things to come in your (or my) homestate!!

February 9, 2012 at 7:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Portland tony

If your state is located on the Pacific rim, subject to magnitude 9.0 earthquakes and is close enough to the ocean for a 20' tsunami to wash down your streets, YES you are in trouble.

February 9, 2012 at 7:51 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Greek American

I've got news for everyone that shouldn't shock any of you, but these will not be the only new reactors opening in the near future, in my opinion. And as for the amount of waste, it is very minimal. I actually just watched a documentary on this and was surprised about the waste aspect. I forgot the actual comparison but it is very minimal.

February 9, 2012 at 9:13 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Mary

The east coast has MEGA amounts of Nuclear reactor sites already. What do need these two for. WTH is right chrissy.

February 9, 2012 at 10:55 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Mary

I just googled map of nuclear power plants in the USA and map of oil pipelines in the USA, the latter brought me to a website that has stunning pics of the US. Check out (allcountries.org) great shots, really

February 9, 2012 at 11:03 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Mary

From the maps that I saw, it looks like all the crude oil piplines and nuclear power plants are situated on the north coast are of the United States. Hmmm looks like the theory of the US invading and occupying isn't really to help our fellow man.

February 9, 2012 at 11:13 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Darrin

And if only they could drink first of the disaster

February 9, 2012 at 11:19 pm | Report abuse |
  15. banasy ©

They tried for years to get one going not too far from me in NW Indiana...never got off the ground, thankfully...it would have been only about 7 miles from my home...too close for comfort, and I'm glad it got scrapped.

February 9, 2012 at 11:27 pm | Report abuse |