Overheard on CNN.com: Android, Apple fans duke it out in the comments
Our readers are sharply divided between those who are fans of Apple products, and those who like Android and other platforms.
February 10th, 2012

Overheard on CNN.com: Android, Apple fans duke it out in the comments

Think of this as a companion piece to the previous "overheard" post on privacy. There was a comment in the story about Google that provided some inspiration.

Pitt86: "Slightly off topic, but, in the 'Google vs. Apple' climate seemingly everywhere on this site, am I the only one that finds some humor in the fact that the picture at the top of the article shows a Google screen on a MacBook?"

We do have quite a division between people who despise Apple products and those who love them. There are devoted Android and Google fanbases, but also plenty of iPhone and Macintosh devotees. This division was fairly evident in a few stories this week, but maybe no more than in this piece about the cost of iPhones for carriers.

The iPhone is a nightmare for carriers

This was the most-liked comment:

Sinator: "It's not right that we non Apple users are subsidizing the posers through higher rates. They just need to tack on a sour Apple fee for those who can't feel cool without one.

This person agreed.

fingaz: "And this is why I will be getting the Droid 4 this Friday. Verizon knows that they can make more of a profit on this phone while still sell this awesome phone for cheap! Apple products are simply just wayyy over priced with tons less features then other phones. And you can't even customize them. Its Apples way or the highway! I still have no idea why people buy them!"

But this reader went for Apple.

zopaa: "So I got a brand spanking new Motorola Android-based phone last October. It was great, but I switched to iPhone as soon as it was available on Sprint. The reason? I was trying to show off my new Android phone to my friends after work, but couldn't because the batter was dead. All the bells and whistles are not worth anything, if the basic functions are not there. When in a few years Android make a usable product, I may switch back. I have no allegiance to Apple, but I want to have the best device and IMO iPhone is such a device for a mobile phone."

These commenters talked about the U.S. mobile market. Some of our readers said other countries do it better.

Zoofamily: "That's what makes America great. You can leave at any time and sign up for Sprint or TMobile. If you hate Apple so much, go to company that is not beholden to them."

all423421: "We actually have one of the least competitive wireless markets in the developed world. Then you have the other problem of the handsets being locked down and not allowing you to use other carriers. Keep in mind, the most competitive markets and services are in Europe and Asia, where Big Government sets the rules and actually promotes competition."

There was some palpable animosity in this comment.

alphaneko: "Cry me a river. After squeezing customers for decades, you think anyone really cares whether their telco is being squeezed by Apple? This is an industry well known for screwing their customers. It's time they learn how it feels to be on the receiving end."

But back to the Apple-Android rivalry fun. Some of our readers say Android devices are awesome.

Dustin Feltz: "As long as my Android-based phones are on par with Apple's, spec-wise, and I'm able to root and mod as I please, I will continue to laugh as people dish out extra money for a brand name."

krozareq: "I hear that. I can actually do what I want with my phone instead of Apple restricting everything so that they can introduce it in a later iPhone. Apple is all about marketing."

nightsun2k7: "I agree, love my android phone, i have 3 friends that are going to switch from iPhone to Droid on their next purchase. I turn it on, it works, I plug it into any computer and transfer songs and data all I want. I can use SD cards to expand memory all I want. It even has Flash. What more could you ask for at half the price of an iPhone."

Some came back and defended Apple.

Luyt: "I honestly don't understand why people insist on knocking Apple (or Windows for that matter) in these comments. It's a brand, simple as that. If you like it, you buy more of it, often w/o shopping around for alternatives – if not, you don't. That's what brands are for. Are you constantly shopping around for the "best" coffee (clothes, beer, shoes, insert whatever) at the "best" deal? No, you simply stick with what has treated you well. BIG DEAL. Why do you buy the brand X shoes you buy? Have you tried them all? Are they the "best," the cheapest?How would you respond if some pr*ck that was walking by told you your shoes were overpriced and you simply were a follower? As far as the carriers in the article ...? They are big boys and girls and can make their own decisions, and will likely make a lot of money doing so. You don't become ATT, Verizon, or etc by paying out more than you get in. If you think otherwise, take your extraordinary business acumen and start up your own electronics or carrier company. Good luck."

Lionsson: "I think everyone can agree that if a carrier raises the price on the iPhone by 40% they are sure to lose that race. So one could say every customer in a way is helping pay for the iPhone with the higher price place on everyone."

Luyt: "Lionsson, I am not saying you are wrong, but I don't understand your point/argument ... First, where do you get the "40%" number from? Second, I think we need to know a lot more details before we can say that the carriers are raising everyone's rates in order to carry iphones. Nonetheless, if true, do they do the same for android based systems? Next, for the sake of argument, let's say they raise rates solely to carry iPhones. This concept is not new. We all 'overpay' for one thing or another for something we don't use."

But wait ...

Pederson23: "All wireless companies should raise data rates just for iPhone users. Apple might not like that but its one way of strong arming them to lower subsidy. iPhones aren't worth it anyway. Slow phone, small screen, no 4G, and it takes forever for Apple to release improvements. Apple is going down hill. Besides, what can an iPhone do that an Android can't?"

JedioftheSun: "Make baristas think they're ... 'creative.' "

More ...

JedioftheSun: "Most iPhone users can't do anything past sending an email. That's why they had to introduce that one thing where you ask it a question for something that should learn how to do yourself on the phone. Sheeple or iSheep are blind followers of Wozniak's stolen ideas."

There's always another point of view.

JonfrmHi: "Give me a break. The phone is 900 at most. I pay at least 90 a month. thats roughly 2,160 over the course of my two year contract. they more than make up the subsidized price. Please. Besides, everyone wants the iPhone and the carriers know it. Thats why Sprint just 1.4 million iPhones in the first quarter they've had it, and 40% were new customers. I doubt that if the iPhone was 'bad' for carriers they would choose to carry it."

Can you hear me now?

elazul2k: "The iPhone is a modern day plague. Everywhere you go you see morons ignoring the world around them having their brains sucked away by this device. I hope it buries the greedy carriers too. All of them deserve each other!"

flipnap2112: "I think you mean the 'cell phone.' "

Wow, that was a tough fight. What do you think? Share your opinion in the comments area below and in the latest stories on CNN.com. Or sound off on video via CNN iReport.

Post by:
Filed under: Apple • Google • Overheard on CNN.com • Technology
  1. ken

Aplhaneko....
    give me a brake....no carrier squeezes you.. .....there are choices

February 13, 2012 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
  2. juan

I'm still using pigeons to communicate

February 13, 2012 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Whatup

Apple is going downhill? To the tune of the most valuable publicly owned company in the world.
    I wilsh my company was going down this hill.

February 13, 2012 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Say it ain't so

I've been an iPhone user since day 1 when it was launched back in '07. I did switch to a windows phone. It was good, but it just didn't do it for me. I switched back to the iPhone 4 & will never look back. I tried out what the outside world is like but let's face it, the iPhone is in color everything else is in black & white.

February 13, 2012 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
  5. AppleFalls

I am certainly sick of this conversation. There is NO argument to the FACT that Android is open and Apple is not. Similar or often MORE functionality with Android – FACT. Cheaper – FACT. It's personal preference – period – and that's a dumb conversation. You either like Apple or you like Android – Period! Stop! ANYONE who says the iPhone is better, cause FACT – it's not. There are undeniable differences. More functionality, cool phone, lower cost? = Android. Cool phone that a lot of people have and like? = Apple. It's hilarious.

February 13, 2012 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • BK

Thank you Dwight Shrute. FACT: You care way too much about this topic. Take 500 mg of cyanide and call us in the morning.

February 13, 2012 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • tony

GOP Presidential candidate Rick Santorum has a freedom problem. He says there is too much freedom on the Internet and it should be regulated. He was the only candidate that did not take a strong stand against SOPA and PIPA and called for regulating the Internet and said freedom should be limited. He called those that want limited government “radical individualism”. Rick Santorum is no conservative. Don’t be fooled by this authoritarian masquerading as a conservative.

“They have this idea that people should be left alone, be able to do whatever they want to do, government should keep our taxes down and keep our regulations low, that we shouldn’t get involved in the bedroom, we shouldn’t get involved in cultural issues.
      That is not how traditional conservatives view the world. There is no such society that I’m aware of, where we’ve had radical individualism and that it succeeds as a culture.”
      - Rick Santorum

February 17, 2012 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
  6. AnotherBrian

Apple a day keeps Android freaks mad all day!

February 13, 2012 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Define

Hehe!

February 14, 2012 at 6:17 am | Report abuse |
  7. Ed

There are reasons to like iPhone and there are reasons to like Android. Go with the reasons that fit your life, not fanboy arguments. I use an iPhone because it's right for me. Maybe it's not right for you and that's ok. I paid the same amount for my 4S that my friend did for his Galaxy Nexus, and we're both happy.

February 13, 2012 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Tully

For the PPL who hate Apple the most, just face up to the fact that you really DO want one, but refuse to allow yourselves the joy of owning this marvelous device. Several Psychologists tell us this behavior is retentive, as iin a- retentive. Nuff said.

February 13, 2012 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Define

Go to any trailer park and housing projects and people there will have Androids. Only the drug dealers own IPhones.

People who have Androids are people who can't afford and IPhone or they listened to the dumb sales guys who accepts low quality things in life.

Num1
    The IPhone has over 500 hundred thousand apps all apps are fully working. The Android has 300 thousands apps. i would said more than half are complete junk. Even the apps written by real companies are low quality.

Num2
    Fragmentation
    Meaning( your friend can down it this app, but you can't. Android has 27 different phone types maybe more. Which is why app writters hate the Android.)

Num3
     I know a friend who wrote an app for app android he hangs out at the 2600 meetings every first friday of month. His app is on 5 million Android phones . he is stealing data and selling it to people.

Num4
    Open to spyware and viruses.

Num5
    Im a system engineer, i live, eat and dodo tech . i  write code in 8 programming languages and running linux cloud servers, and i work on Wall St supporting windows. Im no fool when it comes to Tech. I love the IPhone.   90% of IT staff in this firm are on IPhones. We converting the whole company to the IPhone  and kicking blackberry to the curve. All 25000 people. On Wall St we are alittle behind every else, Wall St  has done so already

Num6
    The IPhone is way better, thats why millions of android people are converting over to IPhone everyday.

Num7
    Android is just a low quality phone that does things half ass. If you buy something,  it should work well. The real sheep are the people who accept sh!t products....

Num8
    Don't dis Microsoft because every Android sold they get five bucks.

Num9
    Recruiting firms are profiling Android people as cheap. Of course others things like race, age..etc

Num10
    Android is an ugly phone just like the owners.

Num11
    The true glory it is my iphone was designed in america!! My money is going to good old america!

Not 100% to copy cat china!

February 13, 2012 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
  10. harrison

Had an Iphone but by the end of the 2 year contract the case was split and there were a lot of dead spots on the screen. I don't like products that are made to break so that you have to buy a new one. Switched to a motorola droid phone and two year contract is up and phone is working fine. Just a better made product. didn't switch because of IOS, switched because the physical product was crap. Can now wait for a truly better phone to come along before I buy another one rather than be forced to purchase another because my phone is failing. Oh, and I also like the idea of being able to carry around a spare battery.

February 13, 2012 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
  11. applefanbios

I cant stand android users they are always trying to prove why their brand is better (its not). Its just like would you rather have a Mercedes or a Ford or Chevy.

February 13, 2012 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Garret Moore

I like tools that work, apply to my needs without taking more from me. They already have my money. Why do they need more? Privacy: not for sale. Brand: Not on my shirt or hat without advertising dollars. Love: I love those who act in love. They can put their brand on their product. Not on me.

If they are not taking part of my money and improving and helping the whole, I figure their days are numbered so stop buying.

February 13, 2012 at 7:47 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Define

Android users are what they are, Androids!
    Robots slaves to google advertising.
    Guys its ok to have an Android, its ok to have a IPhone. Android is White Castles!
    IPhone is the palms restaurant!

The Android is crappy copy of the IPhone with zero innovation!

February 14, 2012 at 6:11 am | Report abuse |
  14. Define

Android users are slowly waking up out of their robot mode and running to the IPhone like a mass exodus!! Just Look at the numbers people, those are real convert numbers that done lye! People are just tried of crappy products , that all.

February 14, 2012 at 6:53 am | Report abuse |
  15. Define

The whole thing about Android being open?
    You mean open to viruses and spyware!
    What do you mean, by open? Explain!

February 14, 2012 at 7:02 am | Report abuse |