Fans, celebrities react to Whitney Houston's death: 'We will always love you'
February 11th, 2012

Fans, celebrities react to Whitney Houston's death: 'We will always love you'

Legendary pop singer Whitney Houston has died at age 48, representative Kristen Foster said Saturday night.

The cause of death and where she died were not immediately known. In May 2011, Houston got help for her much-publicized struggle with drugs and alcohol, her representative said at the time.

According to her official website, Houston, who struggled with addiction problems over the years, sold more than 170 million albums, singles and videos over her career.

As news of her death spread online her fans and celebrities tweeted that they were absolutely shocked and saddened at the news.

iReport: Share your memories

Tributes began flooding in almost immediately as people began expressing their shock at the news. Nearly all of the trends on Twitter worldwide were shortly associated with the singer's death. Among them: R.I.P Whitney Houston#DearWhitney#IWillAlwaysLoveYouThe BodyguardBobby Brown and Wanna Dance With Somebody.

"The first full hour after the news broke saw 2,481,652 tweets and retweets, peaking at 61,227 tweets at 5:23 p.m. (all times are PST)," according to Topsy.com. "That is over a thousand tweets a second, not quite as much as during the Superbowl but still a lot."

Whitney Houston is shown trending around the entire globe Saturday night after news of her death.

Houston had been in Los Angeles and Grammy rehearsal parties were taking place one night before the music industry's biggest event. Stunned celebrities heard about the news all together.

Mariah Carey, who famously performed a duet with Houston on "When You Believe" was stunned by the news.

LaToya Jackson also took to Twitter to express her condolences to Houston's family. She and the rest of her family have gone through the turmoil of dealing with the sudden death of the King of Pop Michael Jackson.

The news of Houston's death brought many people back to their childhood and reminisced on all of the ways Houston's music had entered their lives. Whether it was their love of a literal soundtrack, like "The Bodyguard," or the songs that were so embedded into their  souls that ie became soundtrack to their lives, fans shared their sadness at the loss.

Many also wanted to share their favorite memories of Whitney Houston, sparking the trend #FavoriteWhitneySong.

#FavoriteWhitneySong: What's yours?

For some fellow artists, the news hit at their core. Houston, for them, was not only an icon but also an inspiration for many.

Newark's mayor Cory Booker even took to Twitter to pay tribute to one of New Jersey's greatest starts.

The tributes and reaction continue to flood in at an unbelievable pace. Among them:

1. Debra Kay Levi

In this tragic news, we must remember, God is Present here and she has Eternal LIFE
    as she was a Believer – The Greatest Love of All. LET US PRAY!

February 12, 2012 at 12:47 am | Report abuse |
    • JG

I thought if you killed yourself you didn't get that whole eternal life thing. Does that go for if you kill yourself with drugs too? And how do you know she was a believer? A lot of people claim to be things they aren't.

February 12, 2012 at 1:28 am | Report abuse |
    • Matt

Mark Zuckerberg isn't actually on Twitter, that's a fake parody account.

February 12, 2012 at 1:43 am | Report abuse |
  2. JG

"Whitney Houston beats Bobby Brown to death"

February 12, 2012 at 12:53 am | Report abuse |
  3. JG

So nice to see Whitney finally get off the drugs...
    Whitney Houston beats Bobby Brown to death!
    etc.

February 12, 2012 at 12:58 am | Report abuse |
    • Sgarrison

Really. You must have so much hate in your heart. I feel sorry for you. People like you are the reasons our society is so messed up. Hope you find some peace and kindness, soon.

February 12, 2012 at 1:12 am | Report abuse |
    • JG

Oh... too soon?

February 12, 2012 at 1:18 am | Report abuse |
    • JG

No but to be honest, this is a great lesson to anyone who looked up to her, or any junkie for that matter. A good singing voice doesn't make someone a good person, certainly not a person to admire.

February 12, 2012 at 1:24 am | Report abuse |
  4. TheXDude

I can't fathom how anyone could honestly be "stunned" by her death. It's a shame, but seriously... you couldn't see that coming a mile away like a freight train? Please...

February 12, 2012 at 12:59 am | Report abuse |
    • JG

February 12, 2012 at 1:28 am | Report abuse |
    • Martha C

Agreed!

February 12, 2012 at 1:49 am | Report abuse |
    • tjj300

Agreed. She's been committing suicide for a very long time.

February 12, 2012 at 2:04 am | Report abuse |
  5. salina

I love Whitney Houston you will be miss bt never forgotten...My bestfrnds for all time...I may have never known you in person bt I did grow up listening, playing your music, and singing your songs....sad tears right now...what will I do now that you are gone...a huge part of me is gone

February 12, 2012 at 1:01 am | Report abuse |
    • Martha C

"my bestfrinnds for all time?" Oh come on....you've never even met this person and she's your best friend? You really should get some kind of real life, with real life friends! Good luck to you!

February 12, 2012 at 1:47 am | Report abuse |
  6. salina

We all have are problems bt that dnt mean that Whitney should be disrespected nor does your family....I want to remember the greatest VOICE of all ppl....Its hard to take this in right now....Missing you so much right now....My prayers goes out to the family....please remain strong God has calling his angel home to take her rightful place in the kingdom of God...

February 12, 2012 at 1:08 am | Report abuse |
  7. Saith

The first time I ever saw Whitney perform she was so high I'm not sure she knew what she was singing. She stumbled through the song, missed notes, couldn't hold anything, forgot words. I was embarrassed for her, because my mom had me listening to her CDs when I was young and I knew she was amazing when she was younger. I imagine it was drugs that did her in, or perhaps she looked back on what she had done to such an amazing, promising, career and how she had destroyed her talent and the regret was too much. Either way, she was a beautiful singer and her passing comes as a shock.

February 12, 2012 at 1:08 am | Report abuse |
  8. Doosh-LaRooush

The "cause of death unknown? For realsies? CRACK COCAINE for a crack HO.

February 12, 2012 at 1:10 am | Report abuse |
  9. Elizabeth

Just woke up to the awful news that WH is dead.
    What a voice. May the Lord rest her soul in peace.

February 12, 2012 at 1:11 am | Report abuse |
  10. Serena

I've always thought that she was the best female vocalist I've every heard. Adored her voice when she was at her peak, but unfortunately that voice was gone even before she was gone herself. I'm sad because, as many others, I grew up with her music and I will miss her. RIP.

February 12, 2012 at 1:16 am | Report abuse |
  11. Davis

Those who make fun of her are truly saying " I feel inadequate" I am lonely and I project my negativity the only way I know how by bashing others. If your that negative remember karma will get you and you will pay for your choices you make in this life. Whitney was a legend and icon her voice alone could run circles around you R.I.P beautiful angel

February 12, 2012 at 1:17 am | Report abuse |
    • JG

So basically any time someone dies, no matter how or why, if they do it to themselves through their own stupidity, if I say, they probably had it coming, I'm dealing with personal feelings of inadequacy and loneliness? Drug addicts die all the time. Some of them can sing. I don't think it's healthy for society to idolize these people. We should see them as they were – very flawed, messed up, self destructive, insensitive to the feelings of those they hurt through their actions.

February 12, 2012 at 1:34 am | Report abuse |
  12. afan

Perhaps had she known how valuable & blessed she was she'd never have taken the first step into drugs or self destruction. . How do you help someone love themselves back to wholeness? Such a waste. Makes me so very
    sad to see the carnage drug & alcohol abuse cause in our culture.

February 12, 2012 at 1:20 am | Report abuse |
  13. Sahra

Everyone shall taste death–simply put it was her time!

February 12, 2012 at 1:22 am | Report abuse |
  14. maine

Tears of sadness is all I have right now. My heart goes out to her mother and daughter. Whitney may you rest in peace!!! May God be with the family now and always. Whitney we will "always love you!!!!!

February 12, 2012 at 1:27 am | Report abuse |
  15. Ruby

The lack of compassion in some of these posts is an example of how our society would rather prey on the fallen than to pray for them. Micheal and Whitney prove that. Celebrities are just people with more public lives. We all know an addict or alcoholic. Best to pray for them when we know their going through hard times. All of us have some struggle or other but some get through it better than others. Wait for the corener to decide how Whitney past. Rest in peace honey, we love you

February 12, 2012 at 1:30 am | Report abuse |